Welcome to Gaia! ::

Beloved Fairy

34,050 Points
  • Noble Shade 100
  • Friendly 100
  • Lapin Patrol Avior: Victory! 50
I agree with your sentiment, but in practice, I know it would be hell. I'll stay "invisible" if it means not dealing with the mess that happened previously. As sad as that is to say, it's really easier that way.

And anyway, country flags would probably be the closest thing, and though that would probably open a can of worms, it'd be a little easier to handle perhaps. As others mentioned, race is far more complex.

Yeata Zi's Bae

Dedicated Diedrich

26,600 Points
  • Diedrich Supporter 50
  • Party Member 100
  • Excitable Emoter 25
I was like wtf does poc mean

But I figured it out.

Celestial Shapeshifter

Too much drama. What Gaia needs to do is make flags for various countries and beef up their ethnic clothing/costume section in other areas.

Honestly there's a stupidly low amount of diversity even with Asian clothes. My usual avatar is actually dressed up in a Korean outfit because of my heritage. That's how I show my pride.

All they churn out these days are Western style clothing and lolita fashion. Crane Empress is nice but once again it's very Japanese in its style. (The site is drowning in Japanese based stuff, I get that it originally started as an anime thing but come on now- there's room for growth.)

Gender identity is one thing, R.R.P. is a whole other can of worms.

NikNook's Kouhai

Byzantium Egg

Gaia does not need racial pride flags.

Tricky Saint

I don't know about an event but I really want a Malcolm X inspired item now. emotion_drool (On May 19th, please)

O24's Partner

Aged Gaian

I'll admit I thought that meant proof of concept when I'd first read it

Cosmogonal Cultist

33,915 Points
  • Winged 100
  • Team Rina 200
  • Beta Gaian 0
Why do you feel invisible/irrelevant?

Special Snowflake

ffs.

I don't want anymore RL flags on Gaia.

Flags are diversionary by nature. I'll stand under this flag, y'all can go stand elsewhere. That's what they say to me. Flags mean users are not equal. While they acknowledge minorities they also separate "self" from "others."

Before this flag stuff, a bigot could talk to a minority and they'd both be cool with each other. That's true equality, when you aren't judged for what you are, rather you're judged for who you are. The internet allows for people to transcend those physical and economical barriers to be truly "equal" and "free."

Gaia probably doesn't realise, or didn't think, or didn't care about the fact that they be diversionary. People don't seem to get that labels are bad. Once you're put into a box it means that you are either in the box, or outside of that box. People shouldn't be like that, but I guess the box is safe. People seem to really like that box.

I hate it. No more RL flags. They suck. They have no place on Gaia. They diminish freedom, not promote it.

If you want to promote a cause, cool. Do a badge, or an announcement, or a day event. Not another *stabs flag into ground* This is my land, and I say what goes here.

Alien Elder

27,440 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Candy Fiend 150
  • Candy Massacre 50
Sand Dancer Shaka
ffs.

Flags are diversionary by nature. I'll stand under this flag, y'all can go stand elsewhere. That's what they say to me. Flags mean users are not equal. While they acknowledge minorities they also separate "self" from "others."

Before this flag stuff, a bigot could talk to a minority and they'd both be cool with each other. That's true equality, when you aren't judged for what you are, rather you're judged for who you are. The internet allows for people to transcend those physical and economical barriers to be truly "equal" and "free."

Gaia probably doesn't realise, or didn't think, or didn't care about the fact that they be diversionary. People don't seem to get that labels are bad. Once you're put into a box it means that you are either in the box, or outside of that box. People shouldn't be like that, but I guess the box is safe. People seem to really like that box.

I hate it. No more RL flags. They suck. They have no place on Gaia. They diminish freedom, not promote it.

If you want to promote a cause, cool. Do a badge, or an announcement, or a day event. Not another *stabs flag into ground* This is my land, and I say what goes here.

Main reason I'm happy we got a Gaia flag in there. Because we are all Gaians here. Even Goldemort got a crappy account and posted at least once.

Special Snowflake

August Star Of Heaven
Sand Dancer Shaka
ffs.

Main reason I'm happy we got a Gaia flag in there. Because we are all Gaians here. Even Goldemort got a crappy account and posted at least once.

I think that only Gaia related flags belong on Gaia u___u

I have nothing against flags in general in RL, but not RL ones on Gaia. They lose their meaning when it's an item. Repurposing them doesn't really work in translation.

The Gaia flag was the only one that was right... I'm so sick of this flag escapade. sweatdrop

Celestial Shapeshifter

Sand Dancer Shaka

It can go either way honestly. The reason why national flags would be nice is to let people know where we're from sometimes. There's nothing wrong with that. It's one thing to go full on patriotic pride because that's a bit over much. However I see nothing wrong with letting people know where we're from. Sure it's the internet where there are no boundaries, but people like to talk about the areas they live in and their cultures/customs as well.

Special Snowflake

Argentum Beryl
Sand Dancer Shaka

It can go either way honestly. The reason why national flags would be nice is to let people know where we're from sometimes. There's nothing wrong with that. It's one thing to go full on patriotic pride because that's a bit over much. However I see nothing wrong with letting people know where we're from. Sure it's the internet where there are no boundaries, but people like to talk about the areas they live in and their cultures/customs as well.

Nothing wrong with saying where you're from/ learning about another culture. But personally, I feel that flying a flag is like saying "this is the single most important, and defining, identifier about me." I don't feel that country ID is as important as the person themselves, but maybe I'm not as patriotic. I'd much rather learn about an individual first, then their culture than just associate oh this person is "American/Canadian/Australian." But then, different strokes I guess. I'd rather find out about them through conversation, which is more natural to me.

In RL, I'd probably never approach anyone waving a flag because they are all so strongly associated with this or that.

If they ever did countries flags it'd be a mess, unless they literally did every country in the world a flag.

Being as I know how it feels to be minority, I much prefer the feeling of "freedom" you actually get from here prior to flag non-sense.

Not saying you're wrong, maybe I'm the one who's wrong *shrug* just saying why I feel it's a bad idea sweatdrop

RandiHoney's Partner

Rainbow Lunatic

18,275 Points
  • Grunny Rainbow 100
  • Grunny Grabber 50
  • Brandisher 100
shira-hina
I get what Gaia was doing LGBTIA flags and what not, and I appreciate it. But it'd be cool if they did something for POC too, like for Black History Month or Hispanic Heritage Month (though I think HHM might only be an American thing, in which case I'd kind of get why Gaia doesn't do anything). Sometimes I feel like we're invisible/irrelevant on here, and we're not. It doesn't have to be a major event like Christmas or Halloween, but something small to show support would be nice.

Err.. well while i see what you are saying or at least i think i do?
The trouble with Ethnic items is that it is such a double edge sword.
To explain what i mean when you make an item that embraces any one culture you run the risk of pissing off members of the very culture that your trying to celibate.
For example what do you think an item that celibates Caucasians would be?
Being white myself, I wouldn't have the faintest idea what would celebrate someone of another persuasion.
Well, American Indians maybe because my girlfriend is one but i hope you see what i mean?.
People are simply hyper a** sensitive about issues involving race creed or color.
Those that are not Hyper-a** sensitive to it can use the same items in an inflammatory matter.
Such as some one running around in black face and making ignorant remarks to use an example Ive seen done.
I don't think that crap is funny but well you know how stupid trolls can be.
The whole LGBTIA thingy got through because sexuality oddly enough is a more ambiguous topic and the established rules of the tos already cover things about material of an explicit nature.

Grumpy Codger

26,875 Points
  • Striking Knight 150
  • Bold Squire 75
  • Worthy Challenger 25
Well... I can understand wanting to show pride in who you are. But do we really need more flags for that? Gaia already offers users the ability to show racial diversity, with items and skin tones. It might be a better idea to suggest items that you feel would represent you better. I think a good start might be a bigger variety of African American hairstyles and maybe some cosmetics that look good on the darker skin tones. You could also suggest some fashions that you feel would help you show off your race and history.

There are some amazing people of color in the history of the US... can you imagine an item based on some of Josephine Baker's dresses, hair and costumes, for example? There are loads of possibilities, they just need to be suggested. Gaia does get into kind of a rut when it comes to item creation being mostly based on light skinned avatars. They may just need some specific suggestions to help spice it up a bit.

Flags and outright symbols have the power to create immediate controversy. I think I'd like to see people being able to design their avatars in a way they feel represents them that can start a conversation instead of an argument.

Celestial Shapeshifter

Sand Dancer Shaka
Argentum Beryl
Sand Dancer Shaka

Nothing wrong with saying where you're from/ learning about another culture. But personally, I feel that flying a flag is like saying "this is the single most important, and defining, identifier about me." I don't feel that country ID is as important as the person themselves, but maybe I'm not as patriotic. I'd much rather learn about an individual first, then their culture than just associate oh this person is "American/Canadian/Australian." But then, different strokes I guess. I'd rather find out about them through conversation, which is more natural to me.

In RL, I'd probably never approach anyone waving a flag because they are all so strongly associated with this or that.

If they ever did countries flags it'd be a mess, unless they literally did every country in the world a flag.

Being as I know how it feels to be minority, I much prefer the feeling of "freedom" you actually get from here prior to flag non-sense.

Not saying you're wrong, maybe I'm the one who's wrong *shrug* just saying why I feel it's a bad idea sweatdrop

Nah, probably just overthinking things a little. I too am an ethnic minority living in the States and I'm not the kind of person to wave the national flag because of the fact that I'm not part of the majority. It's not really my history nor my heritage though I may be born here. I'm just a 1st gen born in the States so my family history is still firmly rooted in Korea. I just happened to be born here and raised here with knowledge of the country's history- but I have no personal attachment with that history. Yes it's a beautiful country geographically, but I don't feel that firmly attached to it versus those whose families have been here for generations.

But I can see people saying they're a proud Canadian, American, Brazilian, ect and like to show their national pride during the Olympics and other gaming events. That pride even carries over to individual states. It's truly the very few times that people can set aside differences and get together to root on their national team. Even I root for the US Olympic teams because I'm here- though if the US team loses I'll root for South Korea because that's my family's heritage and I have family there.

To me a national flag just states a person is from where ever or is a citizen where ever. Some may take it super seriously and others like myself it's just an indicator of where we are.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff