Cygnus is a hunk. 0 0.0% [ 0 ]
Total Votes:[ 10 ]
1 2 >

Brainy Bunny

11,550 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Conventioneer 300
I know that announcements have been a big issue and a lot of people are frustrated with the amount that come in. After thinking on it a bit I thought maybe instead of just on/off since you'd still want to see them, you could turn them on or off based on the NPC announcing it. For example, if you have no interest in seeing any cash shop announcements you can turn off any announcements that come from Jet and Cygnus.

Just a thought, I don't know how useful or realistic it would be but I personally would use it if it were available to me.

Widow

Dedicated Regular

34,115 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Megathread 100
Then ALL the npcs start announcing "specific" Cash shop Items !

Fashion Update? Sasha posts!

Punk/Grunge Update? Welp there's Moira!

Vampire update? BAM Louie!

Widow

Dedicated Regular

34,115 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Megathread 100
By the way, Jet is the small cat, Cygnus is the hunk

Brainy Bunny

11,550 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Conventioneer 300
HighClass Badass
Pfft what if I think cats are hunks? Rofl I'm very tired, thanks for that.

Anyhow, I'm not sure if that would actually happen or not. It would be a lot more effort on their part to do something like that, plus with this you're not stuck having to get rid of all announcements or keep them all.

Widow

Dedicated Regular

34,115 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Megathread 100
tokkitoria
HighClass Badass

Anyhow, I'm not sure if that would actually happen or not. It would be a lot more effort on their part to do something like that, plus with this you're not stuck having to get rid of all announcements or keep them all.

Actually they've already done it /twice/ this week, using Loyal to promote the cash shop instead of his own.. =(

And I was juuust checking I didn't know if you had some weird, rude cat fetish razz

Brainy Bunny

11,550 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Conventioneer 300
HighClass Badass
tokkitoria
HighClass Badass

Actually they've already done it /twice/ this week, using Loyal to promote the cash shop instead of his own.. =(

And I was juuust checking I didn't know if you had some weird, rude cat fetish razz

That is very true, and I know people were very upset about that. I guess there would have to be some kind of agreement in order for it to work.

Versatile Elder

14,050 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Survivor 150
Gaia won't do it. They already stated in the new Ask the Staff that the announcements are their best method for alerting users about sales (because PMs and spamming the dev alerts had backlash) so it's clear that Gaia has absolutely no intention of allowing users to pick and choose what announcements they see, because they know users will opt out of the cash shop announcements and that doesn't sit well with them.

Personally I don't look at the announcements anymore. I've had "10 announcements" next to my avatar for months, and I'm not clicking them any time soon.

Widow

Dedicated Regular

34,115 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Megathread 100
And I highly doubt Gaia would do such an agreement =/ Means they can't trick people into reading the announcements, thinking it's a gold shop update/event/something else not related to da monay

Brainy Bunny

11,550 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Conventioneer 300
iTsunayoshi Sawada
Gaia won't do it. They already stated in the new Ask the Staff that the announcements are their best method for alerting users about sales (because PMs and spamming the dev alerts had backlash) so it's clear that Gaia has absolutely no intention of allowing users to pick and choose what announcements they see, because they know users will opt out of the cash shop announcements and that doesn't sit well with them.

Personally I don't look at the announcements anymore. I've had "10 announcements" next to my avatar for months, and I'm not clicking them any time soon.
I dunno, I know for me I have to have it cleared. It's just a weird thing I have that I can't just leave it at 10 of them.

I didn't know they'd mentioned it in AtS, but there has to be something that can be done about there being SO MANY.

Widow

Dedicated Regular

34,115 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Megathread 100
Nope! Announcements are the 'Best way to inform our users of sales!"

Wtf announcements aren't for sales they are for news, important things!

(And newsflash, recolor #1000 of something in CREAM is not important)

Married Otaku

19,640 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Married 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
tokkitoria
I didn't know they'd mentioned it in AtS, but there has to be something that can be done about there being SO MANY.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
" A Houngan is wandering, away from its swarm. "

||| If you use Chrome or Firefox and have a userscript add-on, there's an announcement blocker. I use it, it's wonderful. heart

It hides the announcement link in the bubble. And if there's nothing else in the bubble (PMs or notices or whatnot) then it removes the bubble completely. It's pretty great. I also took the liberty of adblocking the entire left section of the home page showing new updates. It doesn't look pretty with an empty white space there but at least it gets the cash pushing out of my face.

It'd be better to have the option to pick of course, since the add-on blocks ALL announcements and therefore you might miss out on any updates to other areas of the site when those super rare updates come along that AREN'T GC/cash shop related. But since Gaia refuses to cooperate and give us the choice, it's a nice alternative.

" The wandering Houngan logged out "

Versatile Elder

14,050 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Survivor 150
tokkitoria
I dunno, I know for me I have to have it cleared. It's just a weird thing I have that I can't just leave it at 10 of them.

admin
Can we opt out of announcements?
The long and short answer to this one is: No. Announcements and staff notices are the best way we currently have to get info about events and sales out to you. While we may look at alternative communication methods in the future, right now we have no plans to change this system. The sales of announcements are how we keep this site up and running- so a big thank you to the Gaian's who read those and take advantage of the sales they offer!

Here's the actual response about it, from the thread.
And eh, I used to click them too because I was the same way. However, after going on break at work after clearing them just two hours ago, coming back to ten announcements was kind of frustrating. sad So eventually I just told myself to let them pile up, and now my eyes just kind of pass over them.

Shady Bro

39,375 Points
  • Shady Hands Squad 250
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Bloodsucking Bros 250
I doubt Gaia would do it. Or at the very least, they'd start using non-cash NPC's to announce cash sales to get around it more often. They literally just pulled that s**t a few days ago with Loyal.

Bloodthirsty Unicorn

A Wandering Houngan

Only reason why I won't use the script because just the small, small chance that there will be an announcement that isn't GC related, don't want to miss those.

I really wish we could do something like the OP suggested.

Married Otaku

19,640 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Married 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
guns and wings
Only reason why I won't use the script because just the small, small chance that there will be an announcement that isn't GC related, don't want to miss those.

I really wish we could do something like the OP suggested.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
" A Houngan is wandering, away from its swarm. "

||| It is an unfortunate down side to the script. But, I've pretty much given up on caring these days about any announcements, cash or not. I'm honestly not sure why I'm even still logging in every day, because outside of posting in the forums to complain, nothing interests me anymore.

" The wandering Houngan logged out "

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces