Welcome to Gaia! ::

Are you tired of not being able to see your inventories at random times?

Yes 0.38461538461538 38.5% [ 15 ]
No, I've never, and will never, buy anything for my avatar, and my profile is completely blank. 0.61538461538462 61.5% [ 24 ]
Total Votes:[ 39 ]

Gaia should have a page that shows exactly how far along they are with maintenance, and approximately how long it will take for disabled pages to be back up, because I'm sick and tired of being in the dark about when or not I can see my inventory. This new page could at least show a preview of the page, and how much they have left do do on it.
Unfortunately, technology does not work like that. Most likely the webpage itself requires no work whatsoever, but there's issues in the backend, with the servers, between modules of Gaia, or whatnot.
Gelmax
Unfortunately, technology does not work like that. Most likely the webpage itself requires no work whatsoever, but there's issues in the backend, with the servers, between modules of Gaia, or whatnot.

So you're telling me, that gaia can't simply make a new page, and copy the under construction page onto it? Then, at any point, they can update it, and upon completion, they just delete the extra page. You'd have to be pretty stupid if you have a huge website like this, and not to be able to do that.

7,700 Points
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200
Frankly I'd rather have them using their time actually fixing the problem, rather than wasting time updating us on what the problem is, when it'll be fixed, why it happened, and so on.
JeuneFille
Frankly I'd rather have them using their time actually fixing the problem, rather than wasting time updating us on what the problem is, when it'll be fixed, why it happened, and so on.

Indeed. Also, if the admins are fixing a problem they may not know how close they are to completion. They may have to go searching for a bug in some cases, which could take minutes, hours, or longer.
JeuneFille

So, it takes that much time to copy the code for a page and re paste it into a blank page? I could do that in fifteen seconds.
"Profiles are down for maintenence." That's pretty much all they can say, right? They don't know how long it will take, or what else will get in the way in the mean time. There might be 2 other huge problems that come up with a sever going down or whatnot.

If a feature is not working, we can see if other people are having the same poblem by asking in the Q&A forum, or by checking the sticky in there. Jakobo is an admin, and he keeps that sticky up to date.

Once we know a feature is down, what else can we do but wait for it to be fixed? It will be done when it's done. You can't say that Lanzer isn't working hard on Gaia all the time.
Copying the code does jack s**t, kid.
Gelmax

stare
You are extremely uneducated in the field of web design, aren't you?

The code is the wireframe of the page. If the code is copied, it copies the exact page. If you were to take this page, go to view, source, take that code, paste it in a notepad document, change the file type to .htm, then open it, you'd have a replicate of this page.

What I'm suggesting, is that gaia take a copy of the code from the under construction page, disable the links, and put a link to it somewhere on the site.
Decessus
Gelmax

stare
You are extremely uneducated in the field of web design, aren't you?

The code is the wireframe of the page. If the code is copied, it copies the exact page. If you were to take this page, go to view, source, take that code, paste it in a notepad document, change the file type to .htm, then open it, you'd have a replicate of this page.

What I'm suggesting, is that gaia take a copy of the code from the under construction page, disable the links, and put a link to it somewhere on the site.
And you're extremely uneducated in the field of intelligence. :/

If there is part of the code which is causing the servers to buckle, then the admins are hardly going to waste another server so they can have some tard complain when that server busts up.

Spooky Phantom

21,500 Points
  • Squash Smasher 50
  • Spirit of the Smackdown! 100
  • Trick or Treat 100
It's a really bad idea. The admins work on glitches, they have unexpected problems. Pretty soon you have 100 Gaians storming the QnA wanting to know why it isn't fixed, it was due to be completed an hour ago. Or if they think a new feature will be out in a given month, so midnight on the first people are wondering where it is. It's bad enough with the sealed envelopes already, let's not create more problems.

By the way, I heard that the battle system was due out in October. That's October of 2004. Yeah, still not here!
Decessus, that's if this page were made of HTML. this page is made with php- which means you CAN save it as an html page, but if you tried to use any of its functions, it would stop working immediately thereafter.

No. Administration cannot put an exact time of when they will be done with maintenance. They do the best they can "hopefully in an hour" etc, but they can't make promises. To use a personal example:

A friend of mine made a webpage with php; I tested it for him, and I found a place where things did not work properly. it took him two seconds to fix that error, but when he did and I went back to the page- abruptly nothing at all was working. He had to find what caused that- it took him ten minutes to find a place where a single apostrophe was missing. Then I tested it again, and found something else oddly wrong (I think it was a menu). it took him another ten minutes to find THAT error. We went through the process approximately five times before the page finally showed up correctly.

Now that was a small site, perhaps three pages total I think. Gaia however has thousands, if not tens of thousands, of pages. Can you imagine how long it would take to find that single apostrophe that messes things up? And they would have no way of determining how long it would be.
Considering they recentlly released new features for the profile its going to have bugs in it.
When you devolp something like that the bugs are kinda unknown so you have to fix it while your going along.
If they were to list everysingle problem and put all that in detail in a forum or thread it would ake awhile.
I agree that they should more so focus on fixing us then telling us exactly whats wrong with everything.

Spooky Phantom

21,500 Points
  • Squash Smasher 50
  • Spirit of the Smackdown! 100
  • Trick or Treat 100
Oh! I have anouther point. What if they don't know when it will be correct?

When I joined in August 2004, there was a gold gaining glitch going around where new users didn't earn gold for posts or polls. NO GOLD GAIN except for lurking. It took several months to fix. Now how are people going to feel if the expected date of completion to fix a major glitch is four or five months from now? And how are people going to feel if you tell them that it'll take a week, and then it takes four or five months? You'll have some pretty irritated Gaians.

Plus, what's going to happen when they finally do fix something way ahead of schedule? People will want a repeat performance every time.

The admins are generally kind enough to tell us they're working on it (read Lanzer's work diary and the other stickies in the QnA). That's all we need to know.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff