Welcome to Gaia! ::

The description I saw for the Chatterbox forum said 'Discussion at the speed of light' how is that possible when there's a time-limit on the how fast you can post consecutively? Either the time-limit should be removed or if the server load is too high then you should describe the Chatterbox forum more accurately something like 'Faster discussions than all the other forums but still has annoying post time-limits'
From what I know, the Chatterbox's threads are always constantly on the go. Compared to other forums, that's the speed of light, probably.
The Post Time Limit is there to prevent too much spamming in other forums by bots and what not and killing the servers.
I understand the time limit in other forums but I reckon it should be removed in the chatterbox forum or at least reduced to like 3s so I can wait for the page to load before posting again and getting an annoying message. That would stop bots and the Chatterbox forum is pretty much spam anyway so there's no need to prevent that
Fyorl
I understand the time limit in other forums but I reckon it should be removed in the chatterbox forum or at least reduced to like 3s so I can wait for the page to load before posting again and getting an annoying message. That would stop bots and the Chatterbox forum is pretty much spam anyway so there's no need to prevent that

Even if the Chatterbox is pretty much spam, doesn't mean it still won't kill the servers because people keep bumping every 3 seconds.
Geeze, are you that impatient that you can't wait a minute between posting...? O_o'
Because Chatterbox goes very fast, and they don't want to make it too easy to earn gold. neutral
It's "discussion at the speed of light" because SO MANY people post - not because of HOW FAST people post. Notice that even though there's a one-post-per-minute limit, TEN PAGES worth of threads have been posted in within one minute?
Gelmax
It's "discussion at the speed of light" because SO MANY people post - not because of HOW FAST people post. Notice that even though there's a one-post-per-minute limit, TEN PAGES worth of threads have been posted in within one minute?
Exactly 3nodding In one thread, every second AT LEAST 3-5 pages were made o_O

Melodious Loiterer

14,900 Points
  • Destroyer of Cuteness 150
  • Tycoon 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
It is true, even if you have to wait a minute between each post, hundreds of other people have the opportunity to post between you.

The Chatterbox is already a waste land of idiocy and spam. Why do you need to post so quickly? How do you even have time to read other people's responses?
Tsuki No Tragedy
It is true, even if you have to wait a minute between each post, hundreds of other people have the opportunity to post between you.

The Chatterbox is already a waste land of idiocy and spam. Why do you need to post so quickly? How do you even have time to read other people's responses?
They should INCREASE the time limit of the Chatterbox!
It's called flood control, the whole site would crash without it. Think of it, a thousand replies all at once, just in the Chatterbox alone, this would decimate the servers
Golden_Turtles
Gelmax
Exactly 3nodding In one thread, every second AT LEAST 3-5 pages were made o_O

I'm curious. How the HECK do you carry on a conversation if there are 3-5 pages made between your posts? I know Chatterbox is the neverneverland of posts and is full of nonsense, but even stupid useless conversations need to have some continuity. I'm confused...
I fully understand it would probably crash the servers I'm just saying if that's the case then the description should be changed.
At any given time, about a third of the Gaians online are in the Chatterbox. Every single one is posting, mainly bumping the feck through yet another pointless thread. If the chatterbox post limit was shortened, or even removed, that'd be a lot more posts and a LOT more load on the server. That, and all the greedy bitches just posting for gold elsewhere will migrate to the chatterbox because its posting time restriction is lower than everywhere else. Even more posters, even more posts, even more load, and the rest of the forums will become much less active.

Basically, if we lower the post limit at all in the chatterbox, even by a second or two, it's going to create much more load on the server and generate even more of those nice crashes and whitepages and 404's we see every now and then.

And BEFORE you say the following, "Just upgrade the server! Then it can deal with the load!":
And while we're at it, let's have to upgrade the server every few thousand members because they're all flocking to the chatterbox. Yay for spending all that money we donate on really expensive stuff that could be easily avoided and spare the money for use on other actually useful things! While we're at it, let's bring ads back into every part of Gaia because we wouldn't be able to afford all the constant server upgrades.

Post time limits are not being lowered. Anywhere. At all. It's too costly, and, as a result, impractical.

As for why it has that description, it's because there are so many people posting so often in the Chatterbox and spamming the feck through it that, even in non-peak-hour, you can't visit the Chatterbox then refresh the page a few seconds later without there being already at least a hundred new posts.
The Chatterbox forum is there to make gold, that means other forums won't become more inactive because the people that actually want to post there will be the ones who don't particularly want gold. I mean come on, it says 'Hungry for gold?' on it.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff