Welcome to Gaia! ::

I understand that this is probably a security measure of some kind, but as a new user I'm becoming very bored of waiting 72 hours for the ability to trade with other users.

Luckily I've had a friend gift me some stuff to keep me from going stir crazy, but I'm itching to start earning money and trading with other Gaia users. The experience feels a little hollow so far, but having access to an economy would make things much more interesting.

I can't imagine this level of security being a good way to keep new users, especially as we had to prove we weren't robots at signup with a captcha and email confirmation. I also understand that you need to keep people from abusing the system with multiple accounts, but I don't think the current method is very user friendly.

Why not remove the delay and instead raise the price of the trading key to 2000 - 3000 gold, or more? 500 seems cheap, I got given more than that just for doing the punky shop lady's quest. At least then anyone who was planning on making multiple accounts would need to actually play on each account for a while to make up the money, and people like me who are genuine and want to start trading can begin in the first 24 hours.

Thanks for reading. smile

Devoted Citizen

14,600 Points
  • Beta Explorer 0
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
No, because it is a security measure that is there to prevent users from making multiple accounts and abusing the gold they get from that and stop Hackers.

Raising the gold limit for a trading key wouldn’t do anything to prevent that , as 2 to 3k is easy to earn. and three days is not a long time.
Kahlan_BrightBlade
No, because it is a security measure that is there to prevent users from making multiple accounts and abusing the gold they get from that and stop Hackers.

Raising the gold limit for a trading key wouldn’t do anything to prevent that , as 2 to 3k is easy to earn. and three days is not a long time.

72 hours IS a long time to wait after joining in my opinion. I could install an MMO and be gaming and trading within a day, installation time included.

I know I only have to wait another day, but I'm already bored and looking for something else to do. I understand they need security measures, but 3 days and then a totally insignificant sum of money seems ineffective and, well, from my point of view frustrating.

Devoted Citizen

14,600 Points
  • Beta Explorer 0
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
Derek Swindle
Kahlan_BrightBlade

72 hours IS a long time to wait after joining in my opinion. I could install an MMO and be gaming and trading within a day, installation time included.

I know I only have to wait another day, but I'm already bored and looking for something else to do. I understand they need security measures, but 3 days and then a totally insignificant sum of money seems ineffective and, well, from my point of view frustrating.

The money you get for starting an account is more than it used to be , and there are things that you can do while you wait for your trading pass if you just look around. You can explore the forums for one, MMOs are different from Gaia also. I highly doubt they’re gonna remove the three day wait.

Lord Elwrind's Queen

Dangerous Fairy

55,065 Points
  • Waffles! 25
  • Team Poison Master 250
  • Winged 100
Derek Swindle
Kahlan_BrightBlade

There is zOMG, Towns and we do have Booty Grab and games. And plenty of chatting.

I found it hard to be bored once I had joined a few years back. Three days is not that long if you stop thinking so hard about it.

Aemon Targaryen's Partner

Tiny Lionheart

It is a frustrating stipulation for new users, but unfortunately there are too many people who would abuse the system if the three-day wait wasn't in place. Due to bots, hackers, and scammers, all of the honest new users have to wait in order to be able to get a trading pass. At least it's only 3 days, though, and not a week.

Dedicated Man-Lover

10,550 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Invisibility 100
Derek Swindle
Kahlan_BrightBlade

Nothing is stopping you from playing say, booty grab, while you wait. Go make 10k every 15 minutes and spend it all tomorrow or whenever you get your pass.
Kahlan_BrightBlade
Derek Swindle
Kahlan_BrightBlade

The money you get for starting an account is more than it used to be , and there are things that you can do while you wait for your trading pass if you just look around. You can explore the forums for one, MMOs are different from Gaia also. I highly doubt they’re gonna remove the three day wait.

I've played a few of the mini-games so far, posted a few times, done a lot of lurking, but honestly without being able to take part in trading I feel like an dickensian orphan at a frosty window, looking in at everyone elses Christmas dinners.

Was the 500g trading key always 500g? Does it adjust for inflation? Because I had about 400g before I'd even done anything, and currently I have about 3.5k just from 2 days of posting and the grabber machine thing.

If they made it so the trading pass cost enough so that a newbie like me would have little to trade with once they bought it, that would stop people funnelling free newb-gold into a central account. As it stands, a dedicated cheater could just wait 3 days and then send over the 1.2k or whatever Moira gives out (minus 500g), and... well I don't see how it prevents hacking.

Whether they remove it or not, I thought this was the place to give feedback. As long as my growing boredom is being registered, I'm content.

Devoted Citizen

14,600 Points
  • Beta Explorer 0
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
Derek Swindl
pluyelk8:0="Derek Swindle”]

You’re not missing much by not being able to trade , and yes it has always been 500g . It never adjusted for inflation. And no, it wouldn’t do anything but hurt as the gold would still be easy to get to get a pass with the prices you’re suggesting. They’d still funnel the gold and the hackers would be able to move the items they’re stealing quicker before a mod can stop them with your suggestion. .

This is the place for feedback, but we’re allowed to post why we disagree with your feedback here. Again, 3 days is not a long time and the security measure is helping gaians. They won’t remove it as that would lead to disaster.

Helpful Gaian

If memory serves, the trading pass has always been 500g. Though at one time you did also have to buy a marketplace pass to purchase items from the marketplace (can't recall the price of it but a couple of thousand gold rings a bell). The trading pass only allowed you to use the bank to trade, not buy on the marketplace.

I don't believe you need to have the trading pass to purchase from actual NPC shops though, only the marketplace and using trades. So you're not prevented from doing much for three days.

However I don't see a need to remove the wait. Three days is not very long for those who wish to play, but long enough to discourage users from gold funnelling. It isn't foolproof but it doesn't hurt the fight with hackers too. It helps to prevent them from moving the items/gold they steal to new accounts instantly to move the items loads of times.

User Image

Assimilated Wolf

"I understand that this is probably a security measure of some kind"
That's all there is to it. You say this can't be good to keep new users. If they can't wait a measly three days to trade then too bad.

Star-Crossed Seraph

25,775 Points
  • Elysium's Gatekeeper 100
  • Angelic Alliance 100
  • Object of Affection 150
Its just like in the real world. There are restrictions. You have to get a learners permit to drive a car and you have to wait so many days (7 in my state) before you can take the test to get the drivers license.

At this point, being a new user, you use those three days to get acquainted with the site, look around, post, make gold by playing the games. Unless you have a very rich Gaian friend that will give you items and gold, you're going to find that time making what gold you can is going to help you in the long run. And running in the Market is not easy, and you won't make a "fortune" overnight, no matter what you might think. Ask around and you'll find that to be true. You have to have gold to begin with to make more gold. So, use your three days wisely.

Besides, if memory serves me, you can't even gift without that pass. so how did your friend gift you anything already?

Flint Jakobs's Compadre

Feral Faun

Dorian_Archer
Besides, if memory serves me, you can't even gift without that pass. so how did your friend gift you anything already?
He might not be able to gift but a friend would.

I've gifted plenty of stuff to one of my brand new mules before 3 day wait period was over to make him look nice right away.

Bashful Friend

9,750 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Guildmember 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
I'm still very new (18 days) and absolutely HATED waiting the 3 days but after thinking it over I decided it IS a good security measure. I don't have to like it but I understand it!

Shadowy Sleuth

20,750 Points
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Hunter 50
i think users would be plenty busy without use of the marketplace for 3 days, as if they could even buy anything lol (unless they were pretty dedicated to BG/zOMG)

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff