Welcome to Gaia! ::

6,350 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Invisibility 100
Does anyone else ponder the space thats all around us?where are we going in the universe. Do YOU also think there could be life on other planets too?

This seems so cracked out!
I ponder questions such as these every day. To quote one of my professors:

"This space is not empty; it is filled with everything; we can only see so much, though."

Also, given the conditions of our universe, I think life on other planets is pretty much inevitable. After all, we are here, aren't we? And there are solar systems out there with conditions far more favorable to life than our own solar system is.

http://www.universetoday.com/98832/other-solar-systems-might-be-more-habitable-than-ours/

Ever wonder if our whole universe is just the equivalent of a subatomic particle of an infinitely larger system? And by that logic, do universes exist in each subatomic particle we can observe, so small that we can't detect them? It's a fascinating thought to me.

Sparkly Phantom

11,900 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Beta Explorer 0
  • Beta Critic 0
Naturally I ponder all of that and more!

Space in general, The unexplored. How far does it go? Does it extend infinitely in all directions? Does it eventually come to an end? Are we trapped in some sort of outer atmosphere that contains what we call 'space'? If we are, Is there more beyond that?

Musings of an idiot. x.x Don't mind me.
I dont have a good enough grasp on astronomy and maths to give it any justice, but its quite amazing.
Levin Bolt
I ponder questions such as these every day. To quote one of my professors:

Ever wonder if our whole universe is just the equivalent of a subatomic particle of an infinitely larger system? And by that logic, do universes exist in each subatomic particle we can observe, so small that we can't detect them? It's a fascinating thought to me.

I actually have wondered that. It is a nice thing to think about.
And even those smaller universes have particles that are smaller universes. But we can only guess.

Fashionable Man-Lover

6,950 Points
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Forum Regular 100
I have no issue believing the string theory and the bubble notion. That is to say, that our universe is only one bubble among an entire system of multiple other bubbles... a multiverse, that is. As for life in other areas, it is indeed very possible although life would differ greatly from how we tend to convey the idea of extraterrestrial life. Bacteria would be the primary focus of the discovery, not big-head green men from Mars. Our universe is very amazing and our world is just as amazing. Just think: if a single fraction of a detail in the creation of the universe was different, we wouldn't be here. Assuming the Big Crutch notion is true and the universe falls back onto itself, and another big bang occurs, the laws of physics as we know them is highly unlikely to be the laws of the new universe.

However, with the higgs boson particle we can go into other fields such as dark matter and dark energy (the energy of nothingness, or a "vacuum" wink , which is what most of our universe is made of. If dark energy can be established, certain laws would be shattered anyways, such as the conservation of energy and mass.
While I have nothing against daydreaming, pondering and wondering about the world about us subjectively... There is more to gain from an objective, scientific approach to the matter of space and the universe. Such fields of physics have grown into the meta and quantum level of interest and have appealed to me in ways of understanding the fabric of our existence.
Well, we are all going to extinction. If we consider the universe as a system that is actively expanding, which it is, then eventually, the universe will run out of energy. There is no known force actively inputting energy into the universe to prevent this from occurring.

In regards to the life on other planets question, there is a good probability that there are other planets in the universe with earth like characteristics. So I see no reason to why there wouldn't be life on other planets.

Magical Investigator

22,875 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • Pine Perfection 250
  • Forum Regular 100
Z_Temple
Does anyone else ponder the space thats all around us?where are we going in the universe. Do YOU also think there could be life on other planets too?

This seems so cracked out!

Nope. Nobody in the history of time has ever asked those questions.

...Of course I think there's life on other planets.

Ultimately, space is so incredibly vast, and there are so many stars in it (and apparently so many stars with planets in it) that it is both absurd to think we're alone in the universe, and that we'll ever meet the other life that's out there. It's like living on an island in the Pacific Ocean with only enough boating technology to wade around in the shallows. You'll can maybe see islands out there, but you can't be certain there are others stranded out there, much less if there are other islands where you can't see. And you most definitely can't go out to them, not if you don't know if it will support you, when let's face it, the island you're on now has coconuts, fresh water, fish, and shade. Why would you need to check out another island that could lead you to starvation or dehydration, or exposure to the sun?

That's the kind of problem we face, and probably the kind of problem extraterrestrials face. Not the right technology, not the right motivation.

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200
Xiam
Ultimately, space is so incredibly vast, and there are so many stars in it (and apparently so many stars with planets in it) that it is both absurd to think we're alone in the universe, and that we'll ever meet the other life that's out there.

I'm sorry, I don't quite follow if you're saying it's absurd we'll meet them or that we won't.

Xiam
It's like living on an island in the Pacific Ocean with only enough boating technology to wade around in the shallows. You'll can maybe see islands out there, but you can't be certain there are others stranded out there, much less if there are other islands where you can't see.

What's the galactic equivalent of the curvature of the earth?
Because while we have only the technology for near earth manned missions, we have the technology to see an exponentially larger amount of things.

Magical Investigator

22,875 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • Pine Perfection 250
  • Forum Regular 100
CuAnnan
Xiam
Ultimately, space is so incredibly vast, and there are so many stars in it (and apparently so many stars with planets in it) that it is both absurd to think we're alone in the universe, and that we'll ever meet the other life that's out there.

I'm sorry, I don't quite follow if you're saying it's absurd we'll meet them or that we won't.

Uhhh... that we'll meet them. It's just too big of a distance. Because that analogy I gave with the Pacific Ocean is off by a shitload.

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
"Space," it says, "is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mindbogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space, listen..."

It's like... the Earth is already so big we can't even be seen from orbit except with really really really good satellite imaging. And we obviously can't see the whole thing until we're in orbit (well, excluding the fact that a whole half is missing), but even then you have to be pretty far out. Then you think that that big huge blue ball could be fit a couple times into Jupiter's big red spot, and that's only a little hurricane on the surface. You can apparently fit over a thousand Earths in all of Jupiter's volume. and you can fit just under a thousand Jupiters into the Sun.

We are microscopic in our own solar system, let alone the distance between us and any of those stars out there: the nearest one (Proxima Centauri) takes over four years for light to reach it, and light goes really ******** fast. (Also, it takes like... eight minutes for light to even get here from the Sun.)

Then you think that that star is only the closest within our galaxy, which itself spanning about 100,000 light years in diameter. Then think of the distance between that and the next galaxy, Andromeda, which is about two and a half million light years away. In the time it's taken for our species to grow and prosper, light still hasn't hit us from when we first started building tools.

And that's just the first galaxy. We're already talking about cosmic islands in cosmic archipelagos in cosmic... whatever the ******** is bigger than an archipelago without being a proper land mass. We're seriously stranded here. I absolutely cannot doubt that there is life in the universe - s**t, in our galaxy. The sheer number of stars out there makes it an almost certainty.

But if they're out there... it's going to be really ******** hard to make contact between our civilizations, or even find the planet they're on (or for them to find us), let alone to go there.

Sorry, I guess that was a lengthy reply for a simple question of clarification...

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200
Xiam
Uhhh... that we'll meet them. It's just too big of a distance. Because that analogy I gave with the Pacific Ocean is off by a shitload.

We have some good scientific hypotheses on eFTL travel now that the Higgs is a theory.
NASA has their warp field, for example
It is not inconceivable to think that there exist species with this tech already.

Xiam
We are microscopic in our own solar system, let alone the distance between us and any of those stars out there: the nearest one (Proxima Centauri) takes over four years for light to reach it, and light goes really ******** fast. (Also, it takes like... eight minutes for light to even get here from the Sun.)

I know all of this. I agree with you. I was just asking for clarification.
Not disagreeing.

Xiam
But if they're out there... it's going to be really ******** hard to make contact between our civilizations, or even find the planet they're on (or for them to find us), let alone to go there.

Well, that depends on the experiments that are going on in Japan with quantum coupling.
They believe that it is possible to couple particles and break the information c-barrier, but are only in the formative phase of their experiment.
I can't find a paper right now, I'll ask my better half if he has it to hand.

Magical Investigator

22,875 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • Pine Perfection 250
  • Forum Regular 100
CuAnnan
Xiam

We have some good scientific hypotheses on eFTL travel now that the Higgs is a theory.
It is not inconceivable to think that there exist species with this tech already.

Yeah, but the tricky bit is still finding planets that are not only habitable, but also planets that have life on them already. Intelligent life.

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200
Xiam
CuAnnan
Xiam

Yeah, but the tricky bit is still finding planets that are not only habitable, but also planets that have life on them already. Intelligent life.

IF we get quantum communication and IF we get eFTL, an unmanned satellite network should allow us to quickly span the galaxy searching for intelligent life.
I admit, I'm in the skeptical about us ever contacting other life. But I am hopefully skeptical.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff