Welcome to Gaia! ::

Hiya. I was told that this would be the best place to ask this, but if there's a better place please tell me. ^^

I know that the "rain" to snow ratio depends on the temperature and humidity and such... but does anyone happen to know a formula to figure out how many inches of snow you're going to get from an inch of "rain" when the temperature is X and the humidity is Y? ^^

Thank you! :3

~L
As far as I remember from earth science, along with a rough estimate, I believe its 1 inch of rain to 10 inches of snow.
crosshatch
As far as I remember from earth science, along with a rough estimate, I believe its 1 inch of rain to 10 inches of snow.
Well yes, that's the estimate. ^^ But it changes with the temp and humidity, so I was hoping for a formula to figure it out. ^^ But thanks *hug*
Page two bump. <.<;
There really isn't any forumal to my knowledge, snow is a little too fickle still. I remember when it was 54 F and I was wearing short sleeves and shorts when a nice little snow began to fall, course it didn't stick. Anyway, the best was to do it is look at the type of snow you have, is it compact or fluffy? If it is compact, it can be a 1:8 ratio IIRC, while fluffy is about a 1:12 ratio.( Though is some locations, it has been known to be about 1:16 sweatdrop ) If it is in between, it is a 1:10 ration, but that is about all I can provide on it.

Sorry there isn't more help, but if you would disclose more about why you want the info, might can be more able to help.

EDIT:

I=
{cP if T < Top
{0 otherwise

I - accumilation of snow in mm of water
c - correction coefficient for precipitation in the form of snow
P - precipitation
T - avg. daily tempature
Top - threshold temperature for precipitation to change from rain to snow

There you go. xd

Pretty much, I = c*P only if the average Temp. of the day is less than the Temp. that rain turns to snow. If the avg. Temp. is great, then it equals a big fat ZERO!

As for the coefficient, I'm currently looking into it, I didn't find it in my book so it may take time.
Ru Shou
There really isn't any forumal to my knowledge, snow is a little too fickle still. I remember when it was 54 F and I was wearing short sleeves and shorts when a nice little snow began to fall, course it didn't stick. Anyway, the best was to do it is look at the type of snow you have, is it compact or fluffy? If it is compact, it can be a 1:8 ratio IIRC, while fluffy is about a 1:12 ratio.( Though is some locations, it has been known to be about 1:16 sweatdrop ) If it is in between, it is a 1:10 ration, but that is about all I can provide on it.

Sorry there isn't more help, but if you would disclose more about why you want the info, might can be more able to help.

EDIT:

I=
{cP if T < Top
{0 otherwise

I - accumilation of snow in mm of water
c - correction coefficient for precipitation in the form of snow
P - precipitation
T - avg. daily tempature
Top - threshold temperature for precipitation to change from rain to snow

There you go. xd

Pretty much, I = c*P only if the average Temp. of the day is less than the Temp. that rain turns to snow. If the avg. Temp. is great, then it equals a big fat ZERO!

As for the coefficient, I'm currently looking into it, I didn't find it in my book so it may take time.
Oh wow -- Thank you! ^^ heart

When you figure out that coefficient thingy please post it. :3

Edit: Wait o.0 Where's the humidity part? >>
i always thought that it was one inch of rain to every 12 inches of snow.. i could be wrong, i dont know a formula or whatever, it might be 10 inces of snow....arg. dont know

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff