Welcome to Gaia! ::

Suppose that after your body stopped working, you had an opportunity to obtain immortality by living in a completely robotic body. Would you? In doing so would you still be human? Would you still be yourself?
IcyNirvana7
Suppose that after your body stopped working, you had an opportunity to obtain immortality by living in a completely robotic body. Would you?
Yes. As long as I have the option of suicide, I would do it. I'll try anything once if it doesn't harm me.
IcyNirvana7
In doing so would you still be human?
No. I would be post-human.
IcyNirvana7
Would you still be yourself?
When it first happens, yes. But my personality will change as I gain new experiences.
IcyNirvana7
Suppose that after your body stopped working, you had an opportunity to obtain immortality by living in a completely robotic body. Would you? In doing so would you still be human? Would you still be yourself?

Go go gadget RoboBody.
Immortality is a curse. You would be the same person at first, because you would have the same personality and memories.
Human, no.

A person, yes.

Me, yes.
I have one problem with immortality- brain cells. We have not yet found out a way to duplicate, safely, brain cells. So, if you lived forever, you'd do so as a vegetable. Curse. sad
i think it is a mirical beacuse u get tolive forever
This is much like the question posed in Ghost in the Shell..

If one has a human "soul," are they still truely human, even if they aren't in a human body?

I would argue that yes, I would still be human, because I still have the core that makes someone human: our thought process, and our very essence. You'd be the same at first of course, and just as we do right now, our personality would change with our experiences-which is no different than we are now.

By the way, yes I would. Yeah, I'd have to have the option of suicide, as well.
Hmm, I dont think i have the answer to all those questions. Have you seen the "Robocop' movies? I think those answer alotta questions that you have. Even tho he was technically dead, he still had his memmory and stuff, so I dont really know what to tell you.
My answer would have to be:

No
No
Yes

I would not like to live on in any body other than my own, as a personal chooice, not as anything against it.

Humans are defined in the Kingdom Animalia. No robot you construct could fal under that clasification, much less be considered homosapien.

I believe that you would still be the same person. I do not believe there is anyhing intrinsicly different between a computer program doing the work of the human mind, or the human mind doing the work. From a social standpoint there should be no difference, while technically there is a great amount of difference.

6,350 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Full closet 200
  • Cart Raider 100
Wouldn't you just end up with your brain so old you could only do everything with help, like loads of really old people. I wouldn't want that.
ionno.. would i still have my brain?
szulikk
Wouldn't you just end up with your brain so old you could only do everything with help, like loads of really old people. I wouldn't want that.

No, that's a problem of the body, most of the time.
Most of the research done on immortality is more along the lines of figuring out the differences in our genome to that of creatures that don't die of old age like may of the sea turtles. If they can locate those genes that make us age grow old and die, they may be able to remove them in some generations in the futre.
I don't really think that the ability to live forever would take away from the importance of life, or something like that. I'd jump at the chance for immortality. If I got sick of it, I could always find a way to destroy myself. The couple decades of life that people get is really pretty shabby. Imagine being able to live a few hundred, or thousand, or whatever. People would become more wise because they wouldn't be thinking of death and the immediate future all the time.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff