Welcome to Gaia! ::

Tipsy Friend

http://applicants.mars-one.com/

There is a project planning to send four people to live on Mars!
It will be a one-way trip, they never get to come back.
58,000 people have already applied to go

Thoughts?
Seems great and all, but I don't see any innovation happening to support what this company is doing.

Strawberrei's Kouhai

Shirtless Sex Symbol

19,800 Points
  • 50 Wins 150
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Jolly Roger 50
To me, this project seems somewhat facetious to the fact of sending random people (who I assume will be rigorously trained) to be sent into space as volunteering guinea pigs. It would make more sense to send actual astronauts to mars who have the scientific background to study the planet as opposed to sending a group of individuals as merely sacrifices with no purpose other then to accomplish a milestone if they do get to mars alive.

Of course, I haven't taken the time to read into the website thoroughly. But in my opinion, the idea seems like a waste of time and efforts. Modern scientific advances have barely cultivated exploration on the Moon, let alone Mars.

Enduring Regular

It's a silly idea.

It's unlikely Humans would survive for any meaningful amount of time outside of the Earth's magnetosphere with our current technology.
We can't even get along with each other on this planet, how can we expect to successfully colonize a different one?

Big Wolf

9,450 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Contributor 150
  • Senpai's Notice 100
Who are they kidding.
The living conditions on Mars aren't even fit for humans to live.
chingate
We can't even get along with each other on this planet, how can we expect to successfully colonize a different one?

Small pox.
I hope we find a way to colonize mars, but I feel sorry for the first people to go because they will make the mistakes that future habitants will have learned from.

Prophet

dont think its possible
there wouldnt be enough water source for humans to survive

Hygienic Genius

4,850 Points
  • Beta Critic 0
  • Beta Treasure Hunter 0
  • Beta Explorer 0
Its going to take a massive amount of funding to get the first group even there, just for the one way trip. Like 6 billion, which is why they are going the avenue of making it a reality show. The people who are selected are going to go through 7 years of training and the reality show will follow them during this time. They are going to be trained in emergency medicine, dentistry, engineering. I think even the first four are going to be voted to go. To survive they are going to use solar panels, grow their own food, and extract water if there is any in the soil, and wait for a shipment every two years. Though supplies are going to be sent before the first group arrives.

The trip there is going to greatly increase the astronauts chance of getting cancer. A huge issue is the magnetosphere, so the habitat will likely have to be underground, to minimize their exposure to radiation.

I personally we should go to the moon and set up a habitat first before going to Mars. I don't think it is impossible, just really hard to pull off. It will be a great dry run for an actual colony on Mars.

Here is a good article about it:

http://www.popsci.com/science/article/2013-04/apply-now-one-way-trip-mars

Friendly Gawker

5,100 Points
  • Consumer 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Entrepreneur 150
Yea, part of me thinks it will not work. We need to learn how to do this stuff first, perhaps on the moon as previously suggested.

Distinct Raider

feasible
dont think its possible
there wouldnt be enough water source for humans to survive
Mars has polar caps, which is a viable source of water for them.

Ruthless Mage

10,350 Points
  • Timid 100
  • Member 100
  • Friendly 100
It is a good idea in thought, but the Moon would have been a more sensible test colony. It is more within reach of current technology and would be safe(r) as something of a sandbox.

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200
Touching Hair
It's a silly idea.

It's unlikely Humans would survive for any meaningful amount of time outside of the Earth's magnetosphere with our current technology.

Q.F.E.

If we sent very advanced robots _first_ to mine down and out, we'd have some caves we could dig into in order to set up subterranean science stations, but there's no real point sending scientists to mars. There's nothing there and it's radioactive.

If Japan build the space elevator I'd totally fly to Japan just to go up on the space elevator. But that's about it. It's not like moon landings will be commercially viable, or if they are, affordable for the common man in my lifetime. But if japan build their space elevator. And if they allow people up. And if anyone is allowed go up, subject to security clearance of course. I'd do it when I've retired.

I realise this is a little sci fi, but it's my only hope to get to outer space as a civilian.

But Mars? I'd rather die here thank you. And less slowly and painfully.

Fanatical Zealot

worldcrafter
It is a good idea in thought, but the Moon would have been a more sensible test colony. It is more within reach of current technology and would be safe(r) as something of a sandbox.

We should, but apparently Obama cancelled all that and the creation of space shuttles that could go to the moon.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff