Welcome to Gaia! ::

Fanatical Zealot

It dawned on me that an exoskeleton could potentially serve as a benefit for both strength and endurance when it came to humans, even if the exoskeleton is unpowered. While powered exoskeleton would more or less take the strain off of people, if an exoskeleton were to simply distribute a load better, and put it into the ground, a tremendous amount of stress could theoretically be taken off of a person.

Usually, when running, your bones and joints take a tremendous amount of the stress whilst impacting the ground. Every downward motion not only absorbs an equal force as was exerted previously, but then it must take the sudden shock of hitting the hard ground, instead of facing little resistance from the air; punching the air would probably present less stress than punching concrete, for instance.

While humans already wear shoes to help absorb and dissipate a lot of this energy, I figured we could take this one step further; perhaps have a spring and cushion based shock absorbing feature in some kind of boot, perhaps like a Greave. This type of fixture could, more or less, facilitate the energy being absorbed from each fall into the ground, by being in the shoe, and directing the force through the boot into the ground. But even better, it could essentially replace the function of bones.

While bones typically absorb much of the downward shock of landing on the ground, the suit, or boot covering, could instead, absorb the force normally taken by joints and bones, serving sort of as what exoskeletons do for insects or other creatures, like bones themselves. This could, at least take some of the stress of off moving, and make carrying a heavy pack (such as for hiking, 45-75 pounds) more feasible.

I'm not entirely sure how it would operate. How you would transfer the shock into the boot/suit instead of into your bones quite as much, idk. I know it would need to somehow direct this into the ground, and so a spring assisted boot could help absorb some of the shock, while this could then be imparted into the boot itself, instead of into the person. While it likely wouldn't increase speed (although theoretically, the forward springing action could make it easier to move forward) or take the stress off of muscles, it might increase endurance and the load a person could comfortably carry, particularly if pack they were wearing was spread out over some kind of chest rig, instead of just on their shoulders with some straps.

I don't know how well something like this would work, and I imagine something like this already exists, but I thought it might be interesting. Additionally, it could maybe serve as armor or something, but that already exists.

Invisible Businessman

What you describe is already in development for the sick, paralyzed and the elderly. 3nodding
The sad thing is that most of the people using it are going to be lazy instead of disabled gonk Obesity is bad as it is, maybe you'll need a permit to have one?
Not really sure how they're going to solve this sweatdrop What do you think?

Fanatical Zealot

Embden Meyerhof
What you describe is already in development for the sick, paralyzed and the elderly. 3nodding
The sad thing is that most of the people using it are going to be lazy instead of disabled gonk Obesity is bad as it is, maybe you'll need a permit to have one?

I don't think it'll be that big of a concern, it might take pressure off joints but if they're moving around a lot then being fat isn't an issue, since they'll burn calories.

MIT made one that helped lower the load and was only mildly powered, but the users consumed 10% more oxygen due to the awkward gate. What it did do was make the load more comfortable and wearable and allow higher speeds easier, though.

So that's a plus! blaugh

Invisible Businessman

Suicidesoldier#1
Embden Meyerhof

I don't think it'll be that big of a concern, it might take pressure off joints but if they're moving around a lot then being fat isn't an issue.

MIT made one that helped lower the load and was only mildly powered, but the users consumed 10% more oxygen due to the awkward gate. What it did do was make the load more comfortable and wearable and allow higher speeds easier, though.

So that's a plus! blaugh

It sound like it would be a bit similar to being in an enviroment with less gravity, maybe people will experiment the same muscle atrophy that astronauts go through. I'm not really sure though sweatdrop

I can't believe that article is from 2007, who knows how far they're now gonk
It could really useful though, but also an important change in society, don't you think? Imagine everyone walking around using an exoskeleton eek

Fanatical Zealot

Embden Meyerhof
Suicidesoldier#1
Embden Meyerhof

I don't think it'll be that big of a concern, it might take pressure off joints but if they're moving around a lot then being fat isn't an issue.

So that's a plus! blaugh

It sound like it would be a bit similar to being in an enviroment with less gravity, maybe people will experiment the same muscle atrophy that astronauts go through. I'm not really sure though sweatdrop

I can't believe that article is from 2007, who knows how far they're now gonk
It could really useful though, but also an important change in society, don't you think? Imagine everyone walking around using an exoskeleton eek

It would be pretty great if it protected you from say, bullets, issues in car crashes, stuff like that, and could take the strain off of people's joints.

It would be easier to get around and people might stave off arthritis longer, so that's a plus. They'd probably need use their muscles just as much, which would burn calories, but it would take stress off their bones. Probably not all of it and gravity would still be effecting them, so they probably wouldn't atrophy.

Would be neat though.
The military is developing exoskeletons for war purposes, and I remember watching this video of a mechanic/ power lifter who made an exoskeleton which he proved to work efficiently by lifting 800lbs or so if I remember correctly.

Fanatical Zealot

SchizoT1G3R
The military is developing exoskeletons for war purposes, and I remember watching this video of a mechanic/ power lifter who made an exoskeleton which he proved to work efficiently by lifting 800lbs or so if I remember correctly.

Cool!

I was hoping for something perhaps lighter and that used less power, to take the weight off of people.

MIT created two little tuby thingies, but if it was spread out over the whole body, like armor or a real exo skeleton even, could it take even more pressure off?

The downward fall could be taking over, making walking on particularly rough terrain easy, or the need to slap our feet against the ground. That's what shoes are for, for instance.

I think the downward fall is usually harder than the upwards push; for brief moments, people have been shown to be able to, using their whole body, exert over 1000 pounds of force, like in a tug of war game.

But maintaining that for more than a few seconds is incredibly difficult. If an exo skeleton could take the hits, it could at least keep the pressure off of people's backs and knees, and spread out the load. 100 pound combat packs wouldn't be so bad anymore.

A lot of these suits need a tether or huge power source.

If that could be reduced, than the longevity of such a device could be greatly extended, to many days or months even. The largest combat pack carried, by the SAS, machine gunners, or at times Rangers is about 130 pounds. I feel that if the suit could take this off of people, say hikers, then it would allow people to carry around a very practical load without a lot of problems.
Suicidesoldier#1

Cool!

I was hoping for something perhaps lighter and that used less power, to take the weight off of people.

MIT created two little tuby thingies, but if it was spread out over the whole body, like armor or a real exo skeleton even, could it take even more pressure off?

The downward fall could be taking over, making walking on particularly rough terrain easy, or the need to slap our feet against the ground. That's what shoes are for, for instance.

I think the downward fall is usually harder than the upwards push; for brief moments, people have been shown to be able to, using their whole body, exert over 1000 pounds of force, like in a tug of war game.

But maintaining that for more than a few seconds is incredibly difficult. If an exo skeleton could take the hits, it could at least keep the pressure off of people's backs and knees, and spread out the load. 100 pound combat packs wouldn't be so bad anymore.

If that could be reduced, than the longevity of such a device could be greatly extended, to many days or months even.

I believe the exoskeletons are based off of hydraulics so far; so its mainly focusing of strength and not flexibility, so its more like a robotic frame not a full suit like you would want to imagine.

In order to have an actual exoskeleton armor that would work efficiently and as flexible as the human body there would have to be a muscle imitation instead of a metal frame. I imagine the muscle imitation would be absorbing impacts as you said instead of the metal framework because of the weight and collision and shock impact it would deal to the body..if that makes any sense.
Just keep in mind that it should not take too much support away from the bones, as this can cause the bones and the muscles to degenerate.

Fanatical Zealot

Pikkewyn
Just keep in mind that it should not take too much support away from the bones, as this can cause the bones and the muscles to degenerate.

Yes, that is correct.

But, for brief periods, or under periods of extreme duress, it would be interesting.

Imagine say, pushing something that had a static hold. When you push a car for instance, when it has the breaks off, it typically will roll; while it is a 2000 pound car, the ground supports the weight of the car, and thus all you have to do is apply a steady amount of force, whilst far less than equal to the weight of the car, can get it moving, usually pretty quickly if you've run out of gas.

If we instead say, made the suit act like the ground, or even redirect the force into the ground, and absorb this part, all a person would have to do is push it in place, say 6 inches higher, without the additional issue of constantly supporting the weight, as the suit would support the weight for the individual. If we could somehow pull this off, than really great weights could be carried, or minor weights potentially a lot easier.

Like say, a car jack lifting something up.

It may take a lot of pumping to get the car jack to actually lift up the car, but it's possible to do since the jack takes all the force.
Now what kind of car jack are we talking about, is it a hydraulic system like you stated before or is it a scissoring worm gear which are the common ones that I know of?

Fanatical Zealot

Hawk a lugy at me
Now what kind of car jack are we talking about, is it a hydraulic system like you stated before or is it a scissoring worm gear which are the common ones that I know of?

It doesn't really matter.

Hopefully, it would allow people to carry and maintain certain loads in a similar manner, or to lift certain things that humans ordinarily can't. xp
Well are you looking to actually design and test something or are you just wanting to state a hypothesis. I'm actually interested in designing something like this and getting a chance to test one would be of the up most enjoyment to me for sure. But lifting up a car is a whole different challenge than addressing the movement and reducing the wear on joints. I think airless tires that provide a shock like system are something that could be incorporated into a exoskeleton along with the worm gear scissor system to make it compress into a smaller space when not being used.
Embden Meyerhof
The sad thing is that most of the people using it are going to be lazy instead of disabled gonk Obesity is bad as it is,...

I don't think so. People who are overweight often have joint problems, so a device like this would be good for them. It would most likely come with the stipulation that you must work out regularly in order to use it. So in more than one way it would be beneficial to them, and in the process of wearing an exoskeleton they could ease joint pain, gain strength, and lose a certain amount of weight.

Theoretically. smile

Fanatical Zealot

SchizoT1G3R
Suicidesoldier#1

Cool!

If that could be reduced, than the longevity of such a device could be greatly extended, to many days or months even.

I believe the exoskeletons are based off of hydraulics so far; so its mainly focusing of strength and not flexibility, so its more like a robotic frame not a full suit like you would want to imagine.

In order to have an actual exoskeleton armor that would work efficiently and as flexible as the human body there would have to be a muscle imitation instead of a metal frame. I imagine the muscle imitation would be absorbing impacts as you said instead of the metal framework because of the weight and collision and shock impact it would deal to the body..if that makes any sense.

The intention would be to more or less take the stress off of the human body, to make it easier to carry certain loads. xp

An idea for artificial muscle might by nanoyarns, but instead of using paraffin wax, using ionic or electroactive polymers, which are more efficient than paraffin wax, and respond in response to electricity.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff