Welcome to Gaia! ::

Original Sex Symbol

9,300 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Bunny Spotter 50
So, those who don't know, look up vibram five fingers, they're basically toe-shoes!

Anyways, I was wondering if they were more beneficial than traditional runners shoes?

Atm I own one pair of aasics and the toe shoes.

Pros/ Cons for each type of shoe would be great if anybody could provide them!

For me so far, for the toe shoes, i haven't worn them regularly, but when I did before, they would put more pressure on my feet, so I had to adapt and run from ball to heel more efficiently, and I also think they may have improved my bridge, as I notice I am not as flat footed as I had been before, which is pretty sweet.

Aasics- Theyre the standard runners shoes for me, they felt great but not sure if they were doing much to improve on running.

Charmed Dreamer

27,375 Points
  • Master Converter 500
  • Cool Competitor 150
  • Perfect Attendance 400
Lethal Cupkake
So, those who don't know, look up vibram five fingers, they're basically toe-shoes!

Anyways, I was wondering if they were more beneficial than traditional runners shoes?

Atm I own one pair of aasics and the toe shoes.

Pros/ Cons for each type of shoe would be great if anybody could provide them!

For me so far, for the toe shoes, i haven't worn them regularly, but when I did before, they would put more pressure on my feet, so I had to adapt and run from ball to heel more efficiently, and I also think they may have improved my bridge, as I notice I am not as flat footed as I had been before, which is pretty sweet.

Aasics- Theyre the standard runners shoes for me, they felt great but not sure if they were doing much to improve on running.

My roomate has a pair, he loves them but for the first few weeks gave him wicked blisters :S

Excitable Strawberry

I've also heard that the runners five toe'd socks are great even if you wear regular shoes. I'm very curious about both options...

Elder

They're pretty good, but if you've only ever ran in sneakers I might suggest buying a pair of minimalist shoes first as you'll be working out some muscles you weren't using for running before.

I personally don't like them just because they're a pain in the butt to put on, but I do have a pair of Vibram barefoot running shoes and they work great. It definitely takes some getting used to though.

Wheezing Fatcat

I heard they are extremely good for your posture/back, they are "natural" afterall. However, I also read that your body needs a long while to get used to them otherwise you will just hurt yourself.

Popular Sophomore

13,725 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Consumer 100
  • Athlete 50
Coming from a barefoot runner, they are amazing. I can't wear regular tennis shoes because of my weak ankles and toe-walking. They are something to get used to if someone isn't used to walking around barefoot. They are very good for posture and keeping your feet healthy.
I generally use mine for running on my treadmill, which has been a very successful experience so far. As for running outside, I have not tried it yet. It's so far great for just training in your house or at the gym. Provides traction, all the while it feels like you're barefoot! :^)

Original Sex Symbol

9,300 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Bunny Spotter 50
Psychedelic Trip Out
Coming from a barefoot runner, they are amazing. I can't wear regular tennis shoes because of my weak ankles and toe-walking. They are something to get used to if someone isn't used to walking around barefoot. They are very good for posture and keeping your feet healthy.
Do you recommend the socks? I might get some, as my feet don't like getting chaffed/ super sweaty when I run >.<

Popular Sophomore

13,725 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Consumer 100
  • Athlete 50
Lethal Cupkake
Psychedelic Trip Out
Do you recommend the socks? I might get some, as my feet don't like getting chaffed/ super sweaty when I run >.<
Toe socks are really awkward feeling at first but they are so comfortable. I hate taking them off.
after running with traditional running shoes for years, i switched to nike free run's back in october of 2012. after those were too destroyed to use, i tried a pair of vibrams and developed plantar fasciitis in both feet :/

i think it was a case of doing too much too quickly, though. as others have mentioned, the shoes are great for helping your posture, both while running and not. i switched back to free runs for about a year, and decided to give minimalist shoes another try, so i bought a pair of new balance minimus trails and LOVE them.

if you decide to get into minimalist running, the main thing is to take it slow so you don't hurt yourself. the day i bought those minimus', i ran 4 miles (trail), and after a couple weeks had gone by, i was running 10+ miles, 5 days a week in them.

i will mention, however, that i think shoes of this type are best when used on a softer surface, ie. treadmill, grass, trail. i've ran in them on asphalt a few times, but it's not nearly as enjoyable and my feet hurt more the next day.

just my $.02

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces