Welcome to Gaia! ::

Kindly Giver

So, I was playing around with my look... And have been for a long time (and had never been 100% happy with it), and I've found I really pull off the Vintage Modern look. Not sure if that's the real name for it, but it explains exactly what it is: Modern looks with vintage styles incorporated into it.

I went looking at some vintage style items today (and caved, I got a real A line 40s/50s I believe, dress. It's so cute, I'm going to bring up the hem a bit, though, as it's a lot longer than I'd like it to be). I also got a shirt that can be used with a lot of things, as well as a sweater.

What are some tips for this kind of style, in general? I know it'll come down to personal preference, but how would you get started finding the right items to use? Also, how would you use an A line dress, without it looking too much like an era costume?

Thank you!

Here is a pic of the dress, I was sewing it so I wasn't able to show a picture just yet : Click here~

Dapper Explorer

Hit the thrift stores and any vintage shops. I got some cute real vintage stuff from family members too. I would try to buy some "modern" basics because they can make vintage clothing look less costume-y.

Kindly Giver

xoxToxic_Rainbowsxox
Hit the thrift stores and any vintage shops. I got some cute real vintage stuff from family members too. I would try to buy some "modern" basics because they can make vintage clothing look less costume-y.

I did today. x3 I found some awesome stuff, like that dress I mentioned. I'll have to figure out how to make it look more modern. Thanks for the tip! (:

Dapper Explorer

Daoine Sith
xoxToxic_Rainbowsxox

I did today. x3 I found some awesome stuff, like that dress I mentioned. I'll have to figure out how to make it look more modern. Thanks for the tip! (:

Picture of the the clothes might help give people more of an idea of what you are talking about

Kindly Giver

xoxToxic_Rainbowsxox
Daoine Sith
xoxToxic_Rainbowsxox

Picture of the the clothes might help give people more of an idea of what you are talking about

I know what to do with mine. Ha, ha. I was asking more so, in general for the type of style.

I wasn't able to take a picture of the dress, as it was really long so I was hemming it. I do have one now, which I'll include in the first post momentarily.
I think you could describe my style as something vintage-y, but still modern. I usually look for clothing at thrift shops, but as I am smaller than most women here I rarely find anything. I also look at normal shops, they have more vintage-styled clothing than you expect. It is not real vintage, but sometimes gives the same feel.
Anyways, I would wear that dress with a brown belt, a blazer and a pair of leather boots. I think something with cream lace would also look amazing with it.

Kindly Giver

Pikkewyn
I think you could describe my style as something vintage-y, but still modern. I usually look for clothing at thrift shops, but as I am smaller than most women here I rarely find anything. I also look at normal shops, they have more vintage-styled clothing than you expect. It is not real vintage, but sometimes gives the same feel.
Anyways, I would wear that dress with a brown belt, a blazer and a pair of leather boots. I think something with cream lace would also look amazing with it.

I was experimenting last night, and I found a belt for it. It's super, super, super cute! I'm going to try the boots now, and see how that looks. I think it'd be awesome.

And I have a similar issues. I'm slightly bigger (not very overweight, I had a problem with my thyroid for awhile. Working on losing it again. Sorry for TMI. Ha, ha!) but it's harder to find things my size, but I'm still able to fit the vintage stuff, so that's a plus!

I'll keep an eye out at those places, thanks!

Dapper Explorer

Rue 21 and forever 21 sometimes have some cute vintage inspired clothes.

I bought this dress from rue 21 on sale
User Image

Dapper Capitalist

I love the vintage look heart

It seems like vintage has been trendy lately because I've been seeing it a lot around lately stores, which is awesome.

I caved recently and bought a lovely vintage inspired A-line dress. I don't even like dresses and I don't even have an occasion to wear it, but damn it fit me perfectly and it was so pretty!

Kindly Giver

xoxToxic_Rainbowsxox

User Image

Oh my gosh! I LOVE THIS DRESS! I'm looking for a dress almost exactly like this! Thank you so much for suggesting that store! I doubt it'll fit me, because I am a bit larger (more so in the breast area. The other parts fit, but the boobage is so huge it's hard to find clothes sometimes. Ha, ha!). I'll definitely check there, thank you very much!

Kindly Giver

CreativeButLazy
I love the vintage look heart

It seems like vintage has been trendy lately because I've been seeing it a lot around lately stores, which is awesome.

I caved recently and bought a lovely vintage inspired A-line dress. I don't even like dresses and I don't even have an occasion to wear it, but damn it fit me perfectly and it was so pretty!

Oh my goodness, yes! I was hesitant about the dress I have, because it is a REAL vintage dress, but it fit perfectly, looks super cute on me... I just had to. And I wore it today, with boots, made it look pretty modern but still 50s. It was really awesome. (:

Dapper Explorer

Daoine Sith
xoxToxic_Rainbowsxox

User Image

Oh my gosh! I LOVE THIS DRESS! I'm looking for a dress almost exactly like this! Thank you so much for suggesting that store! I doubt it'll fit me, because I am a bit larger (more so in the breast area. The other parts fit, but the boobage is so huge it's hard to find clothes sometimes. Ha, ha!). I'll definitely check there, thank you very much!

I'm have a bit of a busty chest and their clothing fit me. You shouldn't have too much of a problem? (Maybe with forever 21)

Kindly Giver

xoxToxic_Rainbowsxox
Daoine Sith
xoxToxic_Rainbowsxox

User Image

I'm have a bit of a busty chest and their clothing fit me. You shouldn't have too much of a problem? (Maybe with forever 21)

Awesome. I hope so. I have BIG breasts. Ha, ha. I can't even buy bras at regular stores. x.x So we'll have to see lol

What sizes does Rue 21 carry? And Forever 21 too?

Dapper Explorer

Daoine Sith
xoxToxic_Rainbowsxox
Daoine Sith
xoxToxic_Rainbowsxox

User Image

Awesome. I hope so. I have BIG breasts. Ha, ha. I can't even buy bras at regular stores. x.x So we'll have to see lol

Then that might be a problem then. Modcloth has cute vintage clothing in a ton of sizes but they aren't cheap.

Kindly Giver

xoxToxic_Rainbowsxox
Daoine Sith
xoxToxic_Rainbowsxox
Daoine Sith
xoxToxic_Rainbowsxox

User Image

Then that might be a problem then. Modcloth has cute vintage clothing in a ton of sizes but they aren't cheap.

Yeah, I was looking at them, they really are expensive. x.x
I've gotten some things from Rue 21 before, and they worked. Thanks for your help.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff