Welcome to Gaia! ::

Powerhungry Titan

14,400 Points
  • Are You Jelly? 500
  • Magical Gems 500
  • Devoted Fortune Seeker 400
So I have to get a whole new wardrobe because I have real old clothes XD

But the thing is, I've only got jeans o.o And I've always been the not-so-girly-girl. I just don't know whether or not to get any dresses or skirts or not >~< Also, do you know any good places to get cheap but cute clothes? Like, I have to literally get a whole new wardrobe XD

Eloquent Vampire

You probably should have a handful of nice dresses and skirts on hand. You don't have to wear them regularly, really, but they're nice to have ready in case an occasion to wear them comes up. Even if you only use them for job interviews or other similar occasions, it's usually worth it.

Go thrift shopping. Look into vintage stores, second hand stores, consignment stores, yard sales, estate sales, church sales, etc. You can find some really cool gems in places like that. And don't forget DIY. It may cost a little to get a decent stash of DIY supplies ready, but it's worth it in the end.

Target and Wal Mart are, of course, good places for basics. But you'll want to invest in good items you want to last you years and years, namely shoes and coats/jackets. Kohl's can be inexpensive, depending on what you're looking at. You can also try places online like Overstock.com, Ebay, Amazon, Etsy and Store Envy.

Powerhungry Titan

14,400 Points
  • Are You Jelly? 500
  • Magical Gems 500
  • Devoted Fortune Seeker 400
Jagger-Wolf
You probably should have a handful of nice dresses and skirts on hand. You don't have to wear them regularly, really, but they're nice to have ready in case an occasion to wear them comes up. Even if you only use them for job interviews or other similar occasions, it's usually worth it.

Go thrift shopping. Look into vintage stores, second hand stores, consignment stores, yard sales, estate sales, church sales, etc. You can find some really cool gems in places like that. And don't forget DIY. It may cost a little to get a decent stash of DIY supplies ready, but it's worth it in the end.

Target and Wal Mart are, of course, good places for basics. But you'll want to invest in good items you want to last you years and years, namely shoes and coats/jackets. Kohl's can be inexpensive, depending on what you're looking at. You can also try places online like Overstock.com, Ebay, Amazon, Etsy and Store Envy.

Ty~ I usually never like to spend excessively on clothes, so this reaaaally helps X'D

Eloquent Vampire

Silver Of Crown RoyaI
Jagger-Wolf

Ty~ I usually never like to spend excessively on clothes, so this reaaaally helps X'D
But you can also think of it this way: You spend $10 on one cheap piece of clothing, and it destroys itself in 6 months. So you buy another cheap one for $10, and it lasts you 6 months, and this cycle continues. So in a year, you spent $20 on one shirt. Or, you could spend $30 on one good piece of clothing and have it last you 2 years or more.

So in the end, you end up spending more on clothes in the long run if you go the cheap route. If you shell out more upfront for better quality, you end up spending less in the long run because those good pieces last you longer. This is REALLY important on items that matter, like shoes and coats/jackets, things that you'll need for a long time or things that are more likely to get beat up and abused over the years. I'll never spend $20 on crap boots again now that I spend $200 on a pair of Docs to last me easily a decade. Though I did find a 100% wool pea coat at CostCo for $20 and it's still perfect after 2 winters. So you can stumble on inexpensive items that are good quality, but don't count on it.

You'll also want to invest in good fancy clothing for job interviews, work parties, etc. My best dress pants were $120 when I bought them new easily 6-8 years ago, and other than one ankle hem falling out (fairly common and super easy to fix), they're pristine. They're only worn for job interviews or fancy parties, and I couldn't have asked for a better pair. I also keep two fancy button up shirts with the pants, each shirt was $40-$60, and again, only worn for job interviews or fancy parties, and they're still perfect. So it's worth it to invest in good fancy pieces for events that need them, even if you don't need them very often. it won't be money wasted at all.
As for whether or not to get dresses and skirts, only if that's a look you're interested in trying. You can look "more girly" or dressed up in black jeans and a nice top. If you do want to try skirts, start with one that fits well in a versatile color from a place like forever21 or H&M. That way if it's not for you you only wasted $20 but if you like the look, you can wear it with a lot of your current wardrobe.

I love H&M for affordable clothes. I get blouses, dresses and accessories there and sometimes skirts. I like Payless for affordable shoes but also try department store sales. For basics like solid-color shirts, I check the sale racks at J.Crew because I really like their tees- I like their shorts too, which are not exactly cheap but not super expensive on sale. For casual basics like leggings American Eagle is pretty good and I also get loungewear at Target.

Tipsy Genius

I like to buy some cheap, plain items - 2for10 tank tops and stuff, but then also have a couple nicer items.
Jeans are something I don't mind spending a little bit more on, mostly because I'm a bit picky about the fit but also because, as it's been said, they last significantly longer so it's worth it in the long run.

I like having a couple dresses. I'm not super girly, but when I don't want to spend a ton of time on myself it's really easy to throw on a dress with some tights and flats (or just flats if it's warm out), and I'm good to go. If it's nippy, dresses are just fine with a cardigan and a scarf - looks put-together, takes no time at all (and really, that's all I care about xp ).

Edit: If you're really getting overwhelmed, start with the basics.
I've got two pairs of jeans, three tank tops, two print tees, two hoodies, a sweater, a cardigan, two dresses and a bunch of scarves that make up my standard wardrobe. Oh, and a pair of super basic black flats. I've got a ton of clothes, but those are the things I gravitate toward first (and then everything else once those aren't clean). If I were going to start with an entirely new wardrobe, I'd start by getting those things and then building it up as I went.

Anxious Explorer

If you live in America, Wet Seal is one of my favorite stores. It can be found in most malls. They have a deal where you can buy five shirts or undershirts for $20 and their stuff is pretty good quality, not to mention cute. Just wearing an undershirt and a v-neck is a nice, basic look.
Second-hand shops like Plato's Closet are usually good. They only take brand-name clothes and they sell them for a reasonable price. Just don't buy anything that looks worn. The Plato's Closet near my house tends to take in over-worn stuff. x_x

Fashionable Noob

I would just go to Forever 21 and H&M since the variety is so huge and cheap but the stuff won't last a really long time. But honestly there's no way to get stuff that will last long for cheap unless it's thrifted or a really huge sale.

Don't buy clothes you're not comfortable wearing or wouldn't wear but i think lots of dresses and skirts aren't particularly girly. You could probably find stuff you'd like and can pair it with leggings or tights if the bare legs feeling is uncomfortable.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff