Welcome to Gaia! ::

Tipsy Prophet

15,625 Points
  • Conquerer of Familiars 350
  • Budding Witch 250
  • Ghost Hunter 250
I figured this would be as good a spot as any for the discussion about dying hair.

-How often, if ever do you dye your hair?

- Do you stick to the naturals? -> Browns, Blonds, Blacks, and Reds

- Or are you a bit braver with your colour choices and go with more vibrant ones? -> Anything from the colour spectrum at this point really

- Do you do it yourself or leave it to the pros? -> Things like bleaching.

- If you do go for the bright colours, do you go all the way or only partial? -> Things like panels, highlights, low lights, streaks, ect...

- What dye brands do you favorite and recommend?

- This is always a big one, Upkeep. Best ways? At home or salon.

- Damage control?

If I've left anything out, feel free to add on and such.

Tipsy Prophet

15,625 Points
  • Budding Witch 250
  • Ghost Hunter 250
Alright, now that I've gotten that bit out of the way, here's my question for all of you who've gone the brightly coloured route. Transitioning from one colour to another?

Here's a quick run down;

Every few months I'll pick a different colour to do my hair, and usually go to the salon to get it striped out so another can take it's place. The results have been some very bleach damaged hair. I usually do the colour upkeep myself.

Back in the beginning of August I dyed it teal, I wasn't crazy about the initial colour, and according to my lovely older sister, looked like a dead sea creature or something of the likes. So I played around with a few colours mixing the dyes until I got something that worked. I used Punky Color by Jerome Russell and love it. Now it's November, and I've decided to start dying it green. But I want to go like a forest/Christmas tree green. My hair is drying while I type this and it's not really what I was hoping for. I know it's going to take more than one dye job. But I'm wondering if I should mix even more of the alpine green dye with the apple green dye. Ratio was about 1/2 to 1. I'm doing this so I can avoid bleaching it for the next while.

That's my current issue, any suggestions?
Ahgahd, I haven't had a natural hair color is 6 years; I've had everything from one neon color to rainbow, I pretty much try any color I can get my hands on (and even mix some). I used to dye my hair a new color every couple of months, but nowadays I stick to every 5 months or so. My hair's purple at the moment. xd : All of it is hand done by me. Bleach it myself, dye it myself, and touch it up myself. Saves a load of money and I've actually gotten pretty good at it. Splat is usually what I use (and recommend), but I also risk the cheapo brands and occasionally splurge on Manic Panic bottles because I can't stay away from those beautiful random colors. I say if you can afford a salon and the prices for upkeep that way, go to that, but doing it at home is good too (and way cheaper/more fun).

For damage control: I wash my hair maybe twice a week if it's lucky. Otherwise I use baby powder, dry shampoo, and occasionally wash it by hand to keep it maintained and less oily. Baby shampoo is the least harsh on hair too and I use cold water.

As for your green hair dilemma, I generally avoid greens as they are typically the hardest to latch onto hair without looking like crap a week later. Green and teal don't stick to hair very long, so the only time I use that is if I plan on stripping my hair of its color soon after.

Shameless Loiterer

I'm currently growing my hair out and chopping off any part of it that has been chemically processed (dye and relaxer) so that I can give henna a try and return to my natural texture. Previously, I was using Loreal's Hi-color in Red with 40 vol developer on the majority of my hair and a black demi (don't remember the brand) on the bottom layer. I so miss my bright red hair. crying I've been coloring my own hair since I was around 12 or 13, so there is no way I'm going to shell out the money for someone else to do it. I'd usually dye it every 2 months or so. A certain amount of "roots" doesn't bother me so I based my dye time on when the red started to fade. I only wash my hair about once a week, so I was able to stretch the bright red pretty far.

So far as your green dilemma goes, I think another dye job is in order. Also, if you do not already do so, you might consider doing regular protein treatments - partially just for the health of your hair and also because it will help with color taking to your hair. You can also try spiking your color with protein filler as well as applying heat while the color is in your hair (since you're using a semi). Additionally, since this is semi color we're talking about don't be afraid to leave it on your hair for an extended period of time, if you can stand to do so...and by "extended" I mean all day or overnight. Just make sure you put some saran wrap over it or something to keep it moist.

Tipsy Prophet

15,625 Points
  • Budding Witch 250
  • Ghost Hunter 250
Jiiri

I always do the up keep, it's way cheaper than me going to see my hair dresser every so often. I usually just go to strip the colour out. I'm afraid I'm going to screw something up if I bleach it myself.

So far the teal has taken really well to my hair, mainly because I made my own mix from three different colours. And I generally try and wash my hair once a week, once every two if I'm lucky. But the two week wash is a process.

I haven't tried splat, mostly because I have a hard time finding in where I live, and the few times I have found it, they only had two or three colours. Manic panic I stay away from, everyone tells me it's a crappy dye. I've tried the ion color brilliance when my hair was hot pink, and it just didn't take very well to my hair, and started fading within a few days. So I've stuck with punky color and so far it takes really well to my hair and stays for a long time.

Perfect_Itemization

Red is my next colour after I get through with the green and then blue.

Henna dyes are awesome. Though they look and smell like swamp mud, they do wonders for hair. My sister's been using it for almost a year now, and her hair looks and feels amazing. This is someone who went from blond to brown, back to blond and then back to brown, so her hair was on really bad shape. What colour of henna?

I've never looked into using protein treatments, but usually I'll go out and buy packets of conditioner specifically for super bleached and damaged hair, they work pretty well. Other things I've used are cocoanut oil.

I'm going to need to pick up some more dye then. The longest I've ever left dye in my hair, was I think two hours. Though I'll try leaving it in for longer the next time I do it.
Fallen-Pottery-Angel
Jiiri

I always do the up keep, it's way cheaper than me going to see my hair dresser every so often. I usually just go to strip the colour out. I'm afraid I'm going to screw something up if I bleach it myself.

So far the teal has taken really well to my hair, mainly because I made my own mix from three different colours. And I generally try and wash my hair once a week, once every two if I'm lucky. But the two week wash is a process.

I haven't tried splat, mostly because I have a hard time finding in where I live, and the few times I have found it, they only had two or three colours. Manic panic I stay away from, everyone tells me it's a crappy dye. I've tried the ion color brilliance when my hair was hot pink, and it just didn't take very well to my hair, and started fading within a few days. So I've stuck with punky color and so far it takes really well to my hair and stays for a long time.

I did a bad bleach job once like two years ago. It sucks, but, eh, it was a lesson. Covered it up with pink and let it sit for a few months before trying again. I'm not all that picky when it comes to my hair. xD

Which colors do you mix? I've always had a bad time with teal~ is yours more blue than green?

Splat is pretty awesome in my opinion. It's a vegetable dye so I can leave it in for hours (and it dries so I don't have to be afraid of bumping in to everything). I usually leave my dye in for a minimum of 2 hours, though I did sleep with it in once or twice. Manic Panic is ok, but awkwardly sudsy, and there are a few dyes that are pretty good to work with.

Tipsy Prophet

15,625 Points
  • Budding Witch 250
  • Ghost Hunter 250
Jiiri
Fallen-Pottery-Angel
Jiiri

I did a bad bleach job once like two years ago. It sucks, but, eh, it was a lesson. Covered it up with pink and let it sit for a few months before trying again. I'm not all that picky when it comes to my hair. xD

Which colors do you mix? I've always had a bad time with teal~ is yours more blue than green?

Splat is pretty awesome in my opinion. It's a vegetable dye so I can leave it in for hours (and it dries so I don't have to be afraid of bumping in to everything). I usually leave my dye in for a minimum of 2 hours, though I did sleep with it in once or twice. Manic Panic is ok, but awkwardly sudsy, and there are a few dyes that are pretty good to work with.

I'm always afraid I'm going to manage to burn my hair off or something like that, especially because it only goes up part of my layers, not my whole head.

I played with variations a bit, but what ended up working out really well was when I mixed Lagoon Blue, Atlantic Blue, and Alpine Green. I never really kept track of the ratios, I just added a bit of each till I was happy with the colour in the bowl. Though I think it was a bit more on the blue side.

So far I've mainly used Punky Color, it's a crème dye, but it doesn't get super thick, or sudsy when I've put it into my hair. Usually I wrap it into a bun a clip it, or use a hair elastic to bun it. I usually only saran wrap it if I'm going to be venturing out of my bathroom. I used Ion color brilliance, for a few weeks, but with the way the colour kept coming out, and it was kind of sticky. It came out of the tube almost metallic.

Demonic Human

Hey guys,
I'm planning on dying the tips/front of my hair red. I have dark brown hair though so I was wondering if you could give me some tips on bleaching it.
I'm getting it cut super short before i do this.

Tipsy Prophet

15,625 Points
  • Budding Witch 250
  • Ghost Hunter 250
Angelic Reprobate
Hey guys,
I'm planning on dying the tips/front of my hair red. I have dark brown hair though so I was wondering if you could give me some tips on bleaching it.

How short is super short? You have really long hair from the looks of you sig pic.

Demonic Human

Fallen-Pottery-Angel
Angelic Reprobate
Hey guys,

How short is super short? You have really long hair from the looks of you sig pic.

Yeah, haha, it's been a long time growing it, but it's all gonna go. I was thinking pixie cut short with a slightly longer fringe so I have enough to dye.

Tipsy Prophet

15,625 Points
  • Budding Witch 250
  • Ghost Hunter 250
Angelic Reprobate
Fallen-Pottery-Angel
Angelic Reprobate
Hey guys,

Yeah, haha, it's been a long time growing it, but it's all gonna go. I was thinking pixie cut short with a slightly longer fringe so I have enough to dye.

Well, I've never bleached my hair myself, but if you're getting cut, you could always get them to bleach and dye it for you. This way at least you have the first bleach and dye job done. Up keep it fairly easy.
Angelic Reprobate
Hey guys,

Dont leave it in too long, get 30 vol and try not to get it on your scalp. Bleaching isnt that hard, it has 2 parts, you mix the powder with the liquid and put it where you want. Since you are cutting it, you likely wont need any sort of help with the development of the dye because the heat from your head will do most of it. For red you wont need it to be that blond anyways, so if it isnt like light blonde dont worry, you just need to lift it to a light brown really for a red to work.

Demonic Human

legnanellaf5
Angelic Reprobate
Hey guys,

Dont leave it in too long, get 30 vol and try not to get it on your scalp. Bleaching isnt that hard, it has 2 parts, you mix the powder with the liquid and put it where you want. Since you are cutting it, you likely wont need any sort of help with the development of the dye because the heat from your head will do most of it. For red you wont need it to be that blond anyways, so if it isnt like light blonde dont worry, you just need to lift it to a light brown really for a red to work.

Ah thank you, i managed to find something called a lightener. Is that what i'm looking for? Is there any colouring product i need to be wary of putting on bleached hair?

Shameless Loiterer

Fallen-Pottery-Angel

Henna dyes are awesome. Though they look and smell like swamp mud, they do wonders for hair. My sister's been using it for almost a year now, and her hair looks and feels amazing. This is someone who went from blond to brown, back to blond and then back to brown, so her hair was on really bad shape. What colour of henna?

I've never looked into using protein treatments, but usually I'll go out and buy packets of conditioner specifically for super bleached and damaged hair, they work pretty well. Other things I've used are cocoanut oil.

I'm going to need to pick up some more dye then. The longest I've ever left dye in my hair, was I think two hours. Though I'll try leaving it in for longer the next time I do it.

I've had some shade of red for what seems like an eternity. I did blue back in the day when I was like 13 or so. I've thought about giving it another go once I cut all my hair short. I decided to pull a Miley Cyrus and my hair is REALLY thick and kind of coarse so....the only way for me to grow that out without the short part sticking out from under and looking ridiculous will be to do something like a pixie, most likely. Play with the blue for a while then let it grow out and do the henna. Who knows. Teal looks fun too.

So far as the henna goes I'll go with the richest, most intense red I can find. I'm considering the prospect of doing a quickie bleach before the henna though, since I've got pretty dark hair. I'll have to try that out on some hair from my hairbrush first though, to make sure the chemicals in the brand of bleach I prefer aren't going to turn the henna some funky color. I've seen that happen and it ain't pretty.

If you're not having breakage issues or anything you're probably fine. I've just noticed that most people who bleach and/or switch colors semi regularly eventually run into problems with breakage and/or porosity (not taking or holding color) in the long run. I worked at a beauty supply for a few years and spent 40 hours a week trying to help people fix their hair after they'd over processed it one way or the other. If you continue to have problems with the first dye job taking in the future you might want to consider it.

I had a friend in high school that would put her color on at around lunch time and not take it off till the next day. I never could manage more than overnight, personally...otherwise it just got on my nerves. Just remember the saran wrap. 3nodding

Tipsy Prophet

15,625 Points
  • Budding Witch 250
  • Ghost Hunter 250
Perfect_Itemization
Fallen-Pottery-Angel

I've had some shade of red for what seems like an eternity. I did blue back in the day when I was like 13 or so. I've thought about giving it another go once I cut all my hair short. I decided to pull a Miley Cyrus and my hair is REALLY thick and kind of coarse so....the only way for me to grow that out without the short part sticking out from under and looking ridiculous will be to do something like a pixie, most likely. Play with the blue for a while then let it grow out and do the henna. Who knows. Teal looks fun too.

So far as the henna goes I'll go with the richest, most intense red I can find. I'm considering the prospect of doing a quickie bleach before the henna though, since I've got pretty dark hair. I'll have to try that out on some hair from my hairbrush first though, to make sure the chemicals in the brand of bleach I prefer aren't going to turn the henna some funky color. I've seen that happen and it ain't pretty.

If you're not having breakage issues or anything you're probably fine. I've just noticed that most people who bleach and/or switch colors semi regularly eventually run into problems with breakage and/or porosity (not taking or holding color) in the long run. I worked at a beauty supply for a few years and spent 40 hours a week trying to help people fix their hair after they'd over processed it one way or the other. If you continue to have problems with the first dye job taking in the future you might want to consider it.

I had a friend in high school that would put her color on at around lunch time and not take it off till the next day. I never could manage more than overnight, personally...otherwise it just got on my nerves. Just remember the saran wrap. 3nodding

Yeah, be carful with the bleach and henna combo, I know for sure you can't bleach henna out of you're hair. It'll turn it to a not so happy colour. As far as lightening it before you henna it, I think it might be okay, but you could definitely try a small patch job. But be wary that it may not always be the colour you want right off the bat, it usually takes a few days for the colour to set and darken. When my sister first did it, she looked a bit like a carrot top.

Never had and issue with breakage. I condition the s**t out of my hair whenever I wash it, and pretty much avoid brushing it too, unless I shower.. As for the green not being quite what I wanted, usually I let the dye fade out for a few weeks, and the teal was still fairly strong coloured. So I think a second dye job should do the trick in a few weeks.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff