Welcome to Gaia! ::

CrazyAlien8's Husband

Invisible Citizen

10,000 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Megathread 100
Since i didn't mess with header, navigation bar, logo, footer, or even body background out of convenience, it took me all of five minutes to fix my status bar images back the way they were, and i'me pretty sure it'll even change now. biggrin aided greatly by the better commenting on the basic theme CSS files. seriously, why all the bitching?
Because some people (like myself) spent hours making custom graphics and learning CSS code to make their profiles.

Now my navi bar (that worked PERFECTLY) and header are gone. Not to mention, with the profiles being centred my background image is completely useless. You can barely see it.

It's just frustrating when you work for hours only to have someone change their mind and take it away.

They should've told us from the start not to make headers and navi-bars, and made the profiles centred.

It would've saved a lot of trouble.

CrazyAlien8's Husband

Invisible Citizen

10,000 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Megathread 100
SuperHappyFunPony!
Because some people (like myself) spent hours making custom graphics and learning CSS code to make their profiles.

Now my navi bar (that worked PERFECTLY) and header are gone. Not to mention, with the profiles being centred my background image is completely useless. You can barely see it.

It's just frustrating when you work for hours only to have someone change their mind and take it away.

They should've told us from the start not to make headers and navi-bars, and made the profiles centred.

i learned CSS from scratch and made my status bar images too. if you open thhe base CSS file, or the source of your profile, re-replacing the header is probably a minor issue, and since touching the nav bar images is now prohibited, the nav bar working is no longer your concern.

they also have (and had since day 1) a disclaimer under the override box that states explicitly "Please note that your custom theme may break due to layout changes in the future."

In a relationship with Yiisu

Demonology Warlock

60,225 Points
  • The Forlorn Warlock 500
  • Dual Class Magic User 500
  • Night Club Singer 500
It doesn't bother me too much, YoungMage. I'm just sad for my fixed background image since it looks random now, though. xd Ah well. I'll make another later.

CrazyAlien8's Husband

Invisible Citizen

10,000 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Megathread 100
Razumi Yazura
It doesn't bother me too much, YoungMage. I'm just sad for my fixed background image since it looks random now, though. xd Ah well. I'll make another later.
that's the spirit. i had to slap together a hidden and offline image when i realized my status could actually change.

if people are such great graphics artists that they made any kind of background to be proud of, making another one shouldn't me a concern on any level other than time.
SporkMaster5000
SuperHappyFunPony!

i learned CSS from scratch and made my status bar images too. if you open thhe base CSS file, or the source of your profile, re-replacing the header is probably a minor issue, and since touching the nav bar images is now prohibited, the nav bar working is no longer your concern.

You can't replace the header, that's against the rules. Same with the navbar.

They aren't allowing the navbar anymore because they said it wasn't 'uniform'. My point is: It isn't hurting anyone if the navigation works. Mine worked fine, so why take it away? All I did was changed the font, colours and background. How does it make a difference to The Admins if it's black instead of blue?

And in my header I gave credit to the site in the top corner, like it is now. I wrote "gaia online" in the top and the link still worked.

So why does it matter what it looks like as long as it works?

Edit: I don't want anyone to think I'm ungrateful for the site, or for the amount of customizing we're allowed to do. I mean they could shut it down tomorrow if they wanted, since I'm using the site for free.

I'd just rather they told us from the beginning so I didn't waste my time making the graphics.

CrazyAlien8's Husband

Invisible Citizen

10,000 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Megathread 100
SuperHappyFunPony!

They aren't allowing the navbar anymore because they said it wasn't 'uniform'. My point is: It isn't hurting anyone if the navigation works. Mine worked fine, so why take it away? All I did was changed the font, colours and background. How does it make a difference to The Admins if it's black instead of blue?

And in my header I gave credit to the site in the top corner, like it is now. I wrote "gaia online" in the top and the link still worked.

you're allowed to change the header (that big image that used to be between the logo and nav bars) that's why it was moved.

they also don't want it changed so that, as towbit said (and i'm going to butcher it if i try a direct quote), people can have some way of telling they're still on gaia, or something to that effect. there has to be some unifying feature of all pages on the site, and if the colors, style or text is changed, it alters the look that the entire site maintains as a standard. makes it easier to prevent frauds and things that may result from look-alike sights.

CrazyAlien8's Husband

Invisible Citizen

10,000 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Megathread 100
SuperHappyFunPony!
I'd just rather they told us from the beginning so I didn't waste my time making the graphics.
i edited my post as well, but they have had a disclaimer since day one, underneath the override box.
yah mine was barely effected <3

but i was wondering if you knew the cs code
to put up awards on the bottom left of the content~

i cant find that code anywhere : /
SporkMaster5000
SuperHappyFunPony!

you're allowed to change the header (that big image that used to be between the logo and nav bars) that's why it was moved.

they also don't want it changed so that, as towbit said (and i'm going to butcher it if i try a direct quote), people can have some way of telling they're still on gaia, or something to that effect. there has to be some unifying feature of all pages on the site, and if the colors, style or text is changed, it alters the look that the entire site maintains as a standard. makes it easier to prevent frauds and things that may result from look-alike sights.

Okay, well i've been calling it the wrong thing the whole time. I'm talking about the top bar, not the header. ^_^;

If they want to leave the top bar that's fine, it was only little and didn't really matter... that would leave unification. But I don't get the why we can't change the navigation. Or even if we could change the colours of the navigation to match the profiles.

But if you have like, a green and red profile, blue navigation will clash terribly.

That's all I'm saying.
SporkMaster5000
SuperHappyFunPony!
i edited my post as well, but they have had a disclaimer since day one, underneath the override box.

I knew that some things would be changing eventually. But I meant it would be nice if they set the rule of "no changing the top bar and navigation" from the beginning.

That way I would've customized my profile to match the colour scheme.

In a relationship with Yiisu

Demonology Warlock

60,225 Points
  • The Forlorn Warlock 500
  • Dual Class Magic User 500
  • Night Club Singer 500
SporkMaster5000
Razumi Yazura
that's the spirit. i had to slap together a hidden and offline image when i realized my status could actually change.

if people are such great graphics artists that they made any kind of background to be proud of, making another one shouldn't me a concern on any level other than time.
Yup. In my case, it'll have to wait. So busy IRL that I can barely do much anymore. gonk I was all "Yes! I'm finished with my profile! Now I can go on." This made me go all "Noooooo! D=" but it's at least something I can work on when I actually have free time from classes, work, Jazz band, concert band, fundraising for the band trip, and soccer and volleyball practice/games...wait...doesn't look like I have much for free time at all. sweatdrop xd Um...yeah...I'll fit the CSS time...somewhere.

[random note]...I miss writing. My character disappeared off the face of TCIS and I'm so busy that I just can't bump back or even read the chapters. crying Meep. [/random note]
While the navigation might work fine when people stick roughly to what it is, it does leave Gaia open to idiots who will abuse it. This would be the safest way to ensure this doesn't happen *shrugs*

CrazyAlien8's Husband

Invisible Citizen

10,000 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Megathread 100
SuperHappyFunPony!
SporkMaster5000
SuperHappyFunPony!

Okay, well i've been calling it the wrong thing the whole time. I'm talking about the top bar, not the header. ^_^;

If they want to leave the top bar that's fine, it was only little and didn't really matter... that would leave unification. But I don't get the why we can't change the navigation. Or even if we could change the colours of the navigation to match the profiles.

But if you have like, a green and red profile, blue navigation will clash terribly.

That's all I'm saying.
i think that's partly why they seperated the two top bars from the rest of the profile, also as long as they allowed any modifications to the nav bar, they risked altering site navigation, and thus risk fraudulent links, which brings back the risk of fraud/scams/whatever from malicious users.

this way, any alterations at all to the nav bar is a breaking of the rules, so they don't have to draw a line between graphic editing and navigational editing.

CrazyAlien8's Husband

Invisible Citizen

10,000 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Megathread 100
SuperHappyFunPony!
SporkMaster5000
SuperHappyFunPony!

I knew that some things would be changing eventually. But I meant it would be nice if they set the rule of "no changing the top bar and navigation" from the beginning.

That way I would've customized my profile to match the colour scheme.
well this doesn't seem something they had planned right from the beginning. most of these changes, from what twobit said, seem reactionary to what people were dong in their profile. many of them are as helpful to prospective coders as they are detremental to finished profile layouts (and a couple to profile layouts in general).

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff