Welcome to Gaia! ::

le dorc's Wife

Original Millionaire

Hello! I was thinking of starting a shop to make profile layouts.
They would be simple, much like my current profile.

Would anyone pay gold for that type of thing? Or is it just too simple?

le dorc's Wife

Original Millionaire

Lady Saxophone

Forgive me for quoting you out of the blue here,
but you seem to know your stuff so perhaps you might know
if my layouts could make some profit?
They're simple little things, I know, and they wouldn't be worth much,
but would they be worth anything at all, in your opinion?

Saxy Coder

▧▧▧ ♬ ▧▧▧
Emo Punk Mistress
Lady Saxophone

Forgive me for quoting you out of the blue here,
but you seem to know your stuff so perhaps you might know
if my layouts could make some profit?
They're simple little things, I know, and they wouldn't be worth much,
but would they be worth anything at all, in your opinion?
Oh, hallo X'D

Well, discussions about profile pricing shouldn't really be discussed in here in the first place... but here's my input:
Generally, the more you know how to do with profiles, the more successful you will be. If you only appeal to people who only want simple layouts like that, you won't get many customers. It's like going to a small bread shop which only sells loaves vs. going to a grocery store where you can get bread, muffins, pastries, milk, eggs, meats, etc. People like having lots of options available to them while they're shopping, and the shops which can offer more choices are usually more popular. It helps if you can do a bit of graphic work as well, since you will sometimes need to make buttons or vectors for layouts.

I'll also note that selling layouts from layout generators like skem9 is not allowed.
It seems you added some of your own coding onto it, but about half of it appears to have come from a layout site ( ' w ' ) ;;
If you can't make your own code at least 90% from scratch, it's not a smart idea to offer to "make" one for others.

▧▧▧▧▧▧▧

le dorc's Wife

Original Millionaire

Lady Saxophone

Oh I know how to make my profile without another site,
I just recycled the coding from another layout I had a long time ago,
and haven't bothered updating it yet.

I was actually gonna start from scratch to make a completely customized profile,
as soon as I worked out the images I wanted.

I wouldn't use the coding I have on there to create other people's profiles.
But it's fine, you answered my question: It's not worth anything.
So I won't open it.

Thank you for your response!
For future reference, where should I post questions like these?
I thought it belonged in the profile discussion.

Saxy Coder

▧▧▧ ♬ ▧▧▧
Emo Punk Mistress
Ah, that's good ' w ' I didn't want to assume anything, but I was just reminding you.
And it's not that they won't be completely worthless... it's just that I've noticed a lot of shops with "simple" layouts like your starting up and many of them just aren't getting much business because people prefer to just find pre-made layouts or more complex profiles. (I run my own shop, so I like to check out the "competition" to see what other shops are offering).

Just some personal back-story:
I played around with just coding my own profile for a few months until I decided to run a small freebie shop. Not many people wanted my simple layouts, so that's why I offered them as freebies -- in order to get practice and get new ideas for what to try ;o After a few months of that, I had greatly improved and felt confident to start trying to attract more customers... and after another two months of freebies, I joined a friend in a joint shop and have stuck there. I started out with the goal of "trying to make profiles pretty" instead of "make a profit" though... so we have somewhat different mentalities.

For pricing questions, you can post in Pricing and Suggestions.
I wasn't quite sure if you were asking for pricing suggestions or coding advice at first, so that's why I recommended somewhere else. eue;;
If you need any suggestions about what to improve in order to make your layouts more popular though, feel free to post here!

▧▧▧▧▧▧▧

le dorc's Wife

Original Millionaire

Lady Saxophone

Oh now I feel stupid, for some reason I thought that thread was only for art...
-facepalm-

Oh and this entire idea came from me wanting to make pretty profiles,
I just wasn't sure about if my coding would be worth anything.

Perhaps I'll make a freebie shop someday,
to get more familiar with codes.

Thank you again for your help!
You're awesome.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items