Welcome to Gaia! ::

If it advocates the government controlling your lives? I've always wondered this.

Mega Noob

Because at the time it was coined, they were the alternative to absolute monarchy.

Perfect Hunter

9,850 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Brandisher 100
Because at some point people forgot what liberalism meant. Whenever I hear Republicans talk about how liberals are opposed to the free market, I cringe.

Shy Werewolf

In the rest of the world, liberals are the ones that advocate a free market capitalist economy and a weak to moderately powerful democratically elected government.

Both of the US mainline parties actually agree with this, which is one of the reasons why any slight deviation is cause for hyperbolic outrage in our largely center-right political system.

2,550 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Happy Birthday! 100
Conservatives managed to spin the word into some bad or dirty word.

The voting public seems to use the word as a diagrotary term. "Those liberals!"

It's bad to have a different opinion anymore in this country.

6,000 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
They do a good job of liberating people out of their pants.

User Image

UNSEE THAT, GAIA.

Jeering Regular

Why are they called conservatives when they aren't actually trying to conserve either the status quo or our nation's wealth, but push a regressive agenda that also involves direct government control over our lives?

Because there's a lot of history, and many of these labels don't mean much etymologically. s**t has just evolved over time so that "liberal," at least in America, generally means someone who supports socially progressive viewpoints and a mixed economy,
Disa Uniflora
Because at some point people forgot what liberalism meant. Whenever I hear Republicans talk about how liberals are opposed to the free market, I cringe.

I'm pretty sure it was the republicans that started it. Extremists like Limbaugh and politicians like Palin keep on enforcing that definition.

In fact Clint Eastwood himself described himself as a Liberal. Props to Clint.
Disa Uniflora

That's classic or neoliberalism.

Modern liberalism has a different meaning. It's how language works.

Perfect Hunter

9,850 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Brandisher 100
The Sky Does Not Bow
Disa Uniflora

Um, both actually.
Like we're any freer when markets control our lives. confused

Perfect Hunter

9,850 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Brandisher 100
azulmagia
Like we're any freer when markets control our lives. confused

Certainly freer than when people like you do.
Disa Uniflora
The Sky Does Not Bow
Disa Uniflora

Um, both actually.

Yes, I KNOW.
Just to get it out of the way.

Quote:
Liberalism (from the Latin liberalis)[1] is a broad political ideology or worldview founded on the ideas of liberty and equality.[2] Liberals espouse a wide array of views depending on their understanding of these principles, but generally liberals support ideas such as capitalism (either regulated or not), constitutionalism, liberal democracy, free press, free and fair elections, human rights and the free exercise of religion.[3][4][5][6][7]

Shadowy Powerhouse

9,125 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Super Tipsy 200
The Cat Fiasco
If it advocates the government controlling your lives? I've always wondered this.
Because it doesn't advocate that, dummy.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff