Welcome to Gaia! ::

CuAnnan
Lord Akhenaton
banndmanswag02
Lord Akhenaton
banndmanswag02
Lord Akhenaton
Rebels are never hungry for freedom, they are hungry for violence and history shows time .and time again that the killing doesn't end with the war,

Don't you ******** pidgeonhole me.

Am I wrong on this?

Don't say "never". It's wrong.

Oh really? I guess revolutionaries like Stalin, Mao, Pol Pot, Saddam, Assad, Castro, Mussolini, Jefferson Davis and Meiji were all just lovers of freedom.

Michael Collins was.

And what do you think would have happened if the ever so peaceful IRA got what they wanted?
Lord Akhenaton
CuAnnan
Lord Akhenaton
banndmanswag02
Lord Akhenaton

Am I wrong on this?

Oh really? I guess revolutionaries like Stalin, Mao, Pol Pot, Saddam, Assad, Castro, Mussolini, Jefferson Davis and Meiji were all just lovers of freedom.

Michael Collins was.

And what do you think would have happened if the ever so peaceful IRA got what they wanted?

They got most of what they wanted. Ireland is free.
banndmanswag02
Lord Akhenaton
CuAnnan
Lord Akhenaton
banndmanswag02
Lord Akhenaton

Am I wrong on this?

Michael Collins was.

Except South Wales. Belfast isn't exactly a safe place TBH
Lord Akhenaton
banndmanswag02
Lord Akhenaton
CuAnnan
Lord Akhenaton

Michael Collins was.

The Welsh have to fight their own war of independence.

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200
Lord Akhenaton

They got what they wanted. A Republic of Ireland.
Well, actually they got what the majority wanted (by referendum) in a Free State Commonwealth Country, but Eamon DeValera didn't like the result of the referendum so incited a civil war and then we became a republic.

Lord Akhenaton

You realise that there's a sea between Wales and Ireland? That the Welsh are Brythoni, not Gael.
I am heavily tattooed with Ogham and Irish tattoos. I speak with a strong accent.
I had no troubles in Belfast. I paid with Euro in a store and got a damned good exchange rate (for a shop).
The only trouble I had was that my cellphone bill was slightly more expensive because of data roaming.
The reg on the car was white (Republic cars reg plates are white, Northern cars yellow {in line with the rest of the UK}). We had no trouble on the road.
My family live on one border county.
My fiance's family live on a different border county.
CuAnnan

The IRA weren't rebels, they were criminals.
The rose in spring
CuAnnan

It is always criminal to rebel. neutral
banndmanswag02
The rose in spring
CuAnnan

Not according to the UK
Lord Akhenaton
Kaltros
Lord Akhenaton
banndmanswag02
Lord Akhenaton

Because the people who were the rebels wanted it. Rebels do not want freedom, they want to kill.

How can you claim to know what rebels want? You know nothing of rebels. Have you even spoken to one? The fact that you claim such ridiculousness, that people who fought against an oppressive government wanted to put another one in its place...

Fool.

History is what backs me and not once has there been a revolution that wasn't violent after the fact.

Well, I don't remember any guillotines after the American Revolution, anyhow.

Trail of tears ring a bell?

By then the revolution was over. The trail of tears was about nation-building, acquiring more territory for the states, and so on. It wasn't motivated by revolutionary passions.
The rose in spring
banndmanswag02
The rose in spring
CuAnnan

Not according to the UK

Then why did they declare the IRA to be breaking the law again
banndmanswag02
The rose in spring
banndmanswag02
The rose in spring
CuAnnan

Not according to the UK

Because the UK used politics to their side. When an IRA combatant was arrested, instead of being treated as a POW, they branded them as cutthroats, Tried them as criminals and then put them away for a long time. Many are now serving life sentences.
The rose in spring
banndmanswag02
The rose in spring
banndmanswag02
The rose in spring
CuAnnan

Not according to the UK

Because the UK used politics to their side. When an IRA combatant was arrested, instead of being treated as a POW, they branded them as cutthroats, Tried them as criminals and then put them away for a long time. Many are now serving life sentences.

For practical purposes, I was right.

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200
The rose in spring
CuAnnan

The IRA, ICA and IRB were rebels. That they were not treated as enemy combatants is not a piece of evidence that they were not rebels, given that the standard position taken by the British government was "the Irish are not human". They were in rebellion against the British occupation of Ireland.

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200
The rose in spring

OOOOOh.
I thought you were arguing from a historically informed perspective and that you knew the first thing about Irish history.
Sorry to have credited you with the integrity to actually know what you were talking about before you chimed in on a discussion between someone who does.
Quick history lesson.
The IRA disbanded in the 1920s, after the civil war, with the majority of its members having formed the Irish Army.
The Continuity IRA, Provisional IRA, Real IRA (and so on) have NO legitimate claim to the title, they are thugs and terrorists.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff