Welcome to Gaia! ::

Shadowy Powerhouse

9,125 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Super Tipsy 200
You may have heard of Wendy Davis, the Democratic state Senator in Texas who recently filibustered for thirteen(sorry, about ten hours) to keep a bill restricting abortions from passing. For those who were unaware, Texas recently passed a controversial sonogram law, and would have added several new hurdles to jump in order to provide or receive an abortion:

Quote:
Sec. 171.0031. REQUIREMENTS OF PHYSICIAN; OFFENSE. (a)
A physician performing or inducing an abortion:
(1) must, on the date the abortion is performed, have active admitting privileges at a hospital that:
(A) is located not further than 30 miles from the location at which the abortion is performed or induced; and
(B) provides obstetrical or gynecological health care services;

Quote:
SECTION 4. Section 245.010(a), Health and Safety Code, is
amended to read as follows:
(a) The rules must contain minimum standards to protect the
health and safety of a patient of an abortion facility and must
contain provisions requiring compliance with the requirements of
Subchapter B, Chapter 171. On and after September 1, 2014, the
minimum standards for an abortion facility must be equivalent to
the minimum standards adopted under Section 243.010 for ambulatory
surgical centers.

While the 20 week prohibition is getting a lot of attention, these two requirements would close the majority of abortion clinics currently operating in Texas. (Admitting privileges in a hospital that provides gynecological services no more than 30 miles away? That seems to require the topology of the city to suit the law, not the doctor.)

Quote:
Sec. 171.043. DETERMINATION OF POST-FERTILIZATION AGE
REQUIRED. Except as otherwise provided by Section 171.046, a
physician may not perform or induce or attempt to perform or induce
an abortion without, prior to the procedure:
(1) making a determination of the probable
post-fertilization age of the unborn child; or
(2) possessing and relying on a determination of the
probable post-fertilization age of the unborn child made by another
physician.
Sec. 171.044. ABORTION OF UNBORN CHILD OF 20 OR MORE WEEKS
POST-FERTILIZATION AGE PROHIBITED. Except as otherwise provided by
Section 171.046, a person may not perform or induce or attempt to
perform or induce an abortion on a woman if it has been determined,
by the physician performing, inducing, or attempting to perform or
induce the abortion or by another physician on whose determination
that physician relies, that the probable post-fertilization age of
the unborn child is 20 or more weeks.

I do believe that the filibuster successfully stopped that bill, as the vote was held about three minutes after the special session concluded. Anyway, here's what interests me.

Quote:
Police are trying to identify the man who entered the West 7th office of State Sen. Wendy Davis Tuesday afternoon and threw two firebombs just outside the door.

Two staffers were in the third floor office when the attack occurred around 4 o'clock. One of them had to leap over the flames to escape, then went to the break room, grabbed an extinguisher and put out the fire.

No one was hurt, but the lawmaker's office was damaged by the fire.

Investigators said Sen. Davis was at her law office closer to downtown Fort Worth at the time of the incident. She was kept in lockdown by Department of Public Safety officers for four hours for her own protection.

http://www.wfaa.com/news/local/Suspect-throws-firebombs-into-FW-office-of-state-lawmaker-143567356.html

So, what do you say? Should the bill have passed? Was Wendy Davis the victim of a terrorist attack aimed at suppressing pro-choice activity in Texas? Will we see more bills like this, more filibusters, or more fire bombings in the future?

EDIT: Cripes, looked at the wrong timestamps. Articles "posted x hours ago" but about something that happened last year. Way to go, interwebs:

Quote:
Cedric Steele, who has been living in an abandoned home on Donnelly Avenue, was arrested late Tuesday in a convenience store parking lot in the 6000 block of Camp Bowie Boulevard, Fort Worth Police Chief Jeffrey Halstead said.

He faces a charge of arson of a building. Bond is set at $50,000.

Steele had visited Davis' office Friday and again Monday, requesting to speak with the senator about a tazing incident that occurred in Michigan, according to an arrest warrant affidavit.

He left behind part of a dead animal, "stating it was a new species and wanted the senator to see it," the affidavit said.

Davis said Steele's demeanor and his demands led her staff members to believe that "he was probably not completely stable."

Before his arrest, Steele "spoke of an alien species" to officers and said he "had another piece of the alien in the rafter" of the vacant residence on Donnelly, the affidavit says.

Halstead said bottles filled with an accelerant were used to spark the small fire outside Davis' third-floor offices in the So7 development, on West Seventh Street just west of downtown, about 4 p.m. Tuesday.

Steele is wanted on warrants out of Tulsa, Okla., for aggravated assault and battery and interruption, disruption or interference with an emergency call, court officials there confirm.

http://www.star-telegram.com/2012/03/20/3824423/wendy-davis-fort-worth-office.html
I hate to correct you, but it was a elven hour filibuster at got called over for false strikes. The protesters against the bill forced it to not go through. Sadly, this does happen in the states. As for the bill question, you and I both know that this type of bill will continue to come up year after year. As far as it being passed, I can say no. That bill is just to much on what they wanted to go. We say Obama is guilty of privacy invasion. This bill did it as well with the health of women. For the attack I believe that it was just one of the outraged religious yahoos thinking they were doing the work of God. So yes it was a terrorist attack. After filibuster like that, I truly hope so. That's how filibusters should happen in the first place in my opinion.

Shadowy Powerhouse

9,125 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Super Tipsy 200
heer023343
I hate to correct you, but it was a elven hour filibuster at got called over for false strikes.
Well, different places kept calling it a "thirteen hour filibuster." Apparently that's the amount of time she actually needed to speak to ride out the session (which ended at midnight); she spoke for a little over ten hours, from 11:18 am to 10:03 pm. Right about then the lieutenant governor decided she had gone off topic in discussing a separate piece of legislation, which was, I guess, the third "strike."

Then there was a lot of ruckus, which kept the bill from being signed until a few minutes after midnight.

I'm totally in support of the speaking filibuster, myself. The other kind feels too cheap. It's basically the majority agreeing to be obstructed using the rules of order. Just doesn't make sense.

As for this kind of legislation not passing in Texas...I dunno. Most of Texas is pretty socially conservative. Like I mentioned above, this is one of the states that passed the mandatory ultrasound law, which is basically an attempt to guilt women out of aborting pregnancies. Because most abortions occur in the first trimester, when a "transvaginal" ultrasound would be necessary to get an image of the embryo, that law in and of itself was considered by many to be a severe invasion of a woman's privacy and bodily integrity. So, I think that says something about what the atmosphere is like in the Texas legislature right now.
Wendigo
heer023343
I hate to correct you, but it was a elven hour filibuster at got called over for false strikes.
Well, different places kept calling it a "thirteen hour filibuster." Apparently that's the amount of time she actually needed to speak to ride out the session (which ended at midnight); she spoke for a little over ten hours, from 11:18 am to 10:03 pm. Right about then the lieutenant governor decided she had gone off topic in discussing a separate piece of legislation, which was, I guess, the third "strike."

Then there was a lot of ruckus, which kept the bill from being signed until a few minutes after midnight.

I'm totally in support of the speaking filibuster, myself. The other kind feels too cheap. It's basically the majority agreeing to be obstructed using the rules of order. Just doesn't make sense.

As for this kind of legislation not passing in Texas...I dunno. Most of Texas is pretty socially conservative. Like I mentioned above, this is one of the states that passed the mandatory ultrasound law, which is basically an attempt to guilt women out of aborting pregnancies. Because most abortions occur in the first trimester, when a "transvaginal" ultrasound would be necessary to get an image of the embryo, that law in and of itself was considered by many to be a severe invasion of a woman's privacy and bodily integrity. So, I think that says something about what the atmosphere is like in the Texas legislature right now.

Yeah makes you wonder what the hell government really does in the end when yahoos are in charge. That's the main problem with the idiots in Washington as we speak. Everyone wants to blame Obama, but his a** can't do a thing because he is really just a figure head.

Magical Girl

Wendigo
heer023343

[Informative]

She got two strikes for failure to stay on topic (I forget the first, but the third strike was talking about the mandatory sonogram law) and her second strike was someone else putting a back brace on her because she had back problems. The leadership of the Texan senate is ******** scum.

That being said, I'm a bit miffed that white people couldn't be arsed to care about the repeal of part of the VRA up until they found out their white hero was going to be voted out next year because Texas took its new freedom to be racist shits and gerrymandered the ******** out of Texas. We as white women really need to quit consolidating our privilege and stop ******** people over just because it doesn't immediately affect us, and then only care when it does affect us.

Witty Genius

9,000 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Perfect Attendance 400
HMS Thunder Child
[Informative]

She got two strikes for failure to stay on topic (I forget the first, but the third strike was talking about the mandatory sonogram law) and her second strike was someone else putting a back brace on her because she had back problems. The leadership of the Texan senate is ******** scum.

That being said, I'm a bit miffed that white people couldn't be arsed to care about the repeal of part of the VRA up until they found out their white hero was going to be voted out next year because Texas took its new freedom to be racist shits and gerrymandered the ******** out of Texas. We as white women really need to quit consolidating our privilege and stop ******** people over just because it doesn't immediately affect us, and then only care when it does affect us.

No, the Republican controlled Texas legislature was simply afraid that she would win out on her filibuster and did every crooked thing they could to call foul. Hell, these bastards even tried to vote, illegaly, and push it through regardless of the law.
Wendigo
Was Wendy Davis the victim of a terrorist attack aimed at suppressing pro-choice activity in Texas?

Question: Why would anyone NOT call this a terrorist attack?

Shadowy Powerhouse

9,125 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Super Tipsy 200
Well, after further checking, the perpetrator being mentally ill and homeless might factor into it. I should also mention that because I saw "recent" pages about the firebombing incident on some news sites (posted x hours ago), which actually happened last year, I incorrectly assumed there was a connection between this and that. I realized the error later when looking at the dates.
Steam Punk Adept
HMS Thunder Child
[Informative]

No, the Republican controlled Texas legislature was simply afraid that she would win out on her filibuster and did every crooked thing they could to call foul. Hell, these bastards even tried to vote, illegaly, and push it through regardless of the law.

What state is this, Michigan?

Shadowy Powerhouse

9,125 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Super Tipsy 200
Render Soluble

What state is this, Michigan?
It would appear to be the state where you sign a bill after the legislative session has ended, then tamper with computer records to make it seem as though you had signed it before the deadline.
azulmagia
Wendigo
Was Wendy Davis the victim of a terrorist attack aimed at suppressing pro-choice activity in Texas?

Question: Why would anyone NOT call this a terrorist attack?

Sounds like a terrorist to me.
So why didn't this man firebomb the legislators when they were passing the voting bills?

Familiar Smoker

Apparently the decision to end the filibuster was not taken very well...

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff