Welcome to Gaia! ::

I just read an article on how the Arkansas Senate passed a tattoo restriction and body modification bill in March, banning certain body mods and markings, and is now attempting to pass a bill banning all non-traditional body art and body modifications. It is of course not guaranteed to pass, but it's on its way to the House of Representatives right now.

As a Canadian, hearing more and more about the freedoms being taken away and restrictions being put in place over such odd things in America is very worrisome. From my point of view, it's gotten quite ridiculous. I have many friends who live in the states who I worry about all the time now because of things from silly laws like this attempting to be passed, to larger issues like the war on women's reproductive rights.

What is happening in America? It's supposed to be the beacon of reason and freedom in the first world. You guys used to have it going on. Now I'm hearing all the time about silly bills like restricting peoples' rights to what tattoos and piercings they can get? Ugh.

Anyway, enough of my ranting. I know Canada isn't all that better off right now. I would like to know what you guys think of this article. Is it right to pass bills restricting things like this? How likely is it to pass in the House of Representatives?

Original article found here:
http://www.inquisitr.com/913297/senate-passes-bill-that-bans-certain-tattoos-body-markings/

Ruthless Hunter

9,800 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Generous 100
  • Flatterer 200
Eva Satanas
I just read an article on how the Arkansas Senate passed a tattoo restriction and body modification bill in March, banning certain body mods and markings, and is now attempting to pass a bill banning all non-traditional body art and body modifications. It is of course not guaranteed to pass, but it's on its way to the House of Representatives right now.

As a Canadian, hearing more and more about the freedoms being taken away and restrictions being put in place over such odd things in America is very worrisome. From my point of view, it's gotten quite ridiculous. I have many friends who live in the states who I worry about all the time now because of things from silly laws like this attempting to be passed, to larger issues like the war on women's reproductive rights.

What is happening in America? It's supposed to be the beacon of reason and freedom in the first world. You guys used to have it going on. Now I'm hearing all the time about silly bills like restricting peoples' rights to what tattoos and piercings they can get? Ugh.

Anyway, enough of my ranting. I know Canada isn't all that better off right now. I would like to know what you guys think of this article. Is it right to pass bills restricting things like this? How likely is it to pass in the House of Representatives?

http://www.inquisitr.com/913297/senate-passes-bill-that-bans-certain-tattoos-body-markings/

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
America is trying to change into a dictatorship. Like what Hitler did, but "new-age" and probably more powerful.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Questionable Codger

Odd, you keep lamenting about America, and this bill was passed by a lunatic group of senators in Arkansas. Last time I checked, the Arkansas Senate was not representative of much of America, just a radical fringe group. I doubt the Governor will sign such a bill even if passed by the State House, and they don't have enough votes to overturn a veto.
Ammo Amy
Odd, you keep lamenting about America, and this bill was passed by a lunatic group of senators in Arkansas. Last time I checked, the Arkansas Senate was not representative of much of America, just a radical fringe group. I doubt the Governor will sign such a bill even if passed by the State House, and they don't have enough votes to overturn a veto.

Yes, I was lamenting about America. Arkansas might be one corner of America, in a very crazy part of America, but it's still America. And stuff like this seems to be going on all over the place, not just in Arkansas. Although, yeah, the majority of crazy stuff I hear seems to come from the Bible Belt. Go figure?

Familiar Smoker

Eva Satanas

You're kidding right?....She's kidding right?
TANRailgun
Eva Satanas

Do you have anything constructive to add?

Familiar Smoker

Eva Satanas
TANRailgun
Eva Satanas

Nope, just that the only think I find surprising about this is that you find it surprising. I have tattoos and body piercings, and it sucks if there are some restrictions but really they can just run out of state to get them if they want, it's a minor inconvenience but really the entire process of getting tattoos and piercings is just a series of minor inconveniences.
TANRailgun
Eva Satanas
TANRailgun
Eva Satanas

Nope, just that the only think I find surprising about this is that you find it surprising. I have tattoos and body piercings, and it sucks if there are some restrictions but really they can just run out of state to get them if they want, it's a minor inconvenience but really the entire process of getting tattoos and piercings is just a series of minor inconveniences.

I also have tattoos and piercings, which is WHY I found it surprising that they'd actually think they'd need to restrict something like this. But you're right, at least they can just go to another state to get the work they want done. I just think it's sad.

Familiar Smoker

Eva Satanas
TANRailgun
Eva Satanas
TANRailgun
Eva Satanas

I also have tattoos and piercings, which is WHY I found it surprising that they'd actually think they'd need to restrict something like this. But you're right, at least they can just go to another state to get the work they want done. I just think it's sad.
Alabama (and the south in general) is kinda notorious for stuff like this. They always have some kind of weird reasoning behind it that almost sounds reasonable until you think about it for a few seconds. But yeah, it sucks, though at the same time if you're not willing to take a tattoo or piercing seriously enough to drive 50 or so miles out of state to get it then you probably shouldn't be getting it.

I have two tattoos on my forearms, and my labret and eyebrow pierced (14 and 16 gauge respectively), they're subtle and most people actually don't notice them right away, which is what I was going for so I guess I'm happy with them. They were meant to be accents, not a centerpiece. What about you if you don't mind my asking?
TANRailgun
Eva Satanas
TANRailgun
Eva Satanas
TANRailgun
Eva Satanas

Alabama (and the south in general) is kinda notorious for stuff like this. They always have some kind of weird reasoning behind it that almost sounds reasonable until you think about it for a few seconds. But yeah, it sucks, though at the same time if you're not willing to take a tattoo or piercing seriously enough to drive 50 or so miles out of state to get it then you probably shouldn't be getting it.

I have two tattoos on my forearms, and my labret and eyebrow pierced (14 and 16 gauge respectively), they're subtle and most people actually don't notice them right away, which is what I was going for so I guess I'm happy with them. They were meant to be accents, not a centerpiece. What about you if you don't mind my asking?

I agree, piercings are a bit easier to remove if you don't like it or change your mind later, but tattoos are something that need to be meditated on and taken seriously.

I don't mind at all. I have one tattoo on the back of my neck, and 17 piercings. Two naval (top and bottom), one nose ring, bridge, industrial, helix, and 10 ear studs going up my ear. The first two holes in each lobe are stretched, the bottom hole being 0g and next being 4g. I've had more done once upon a time, but they've all been removed for various reasons. My nape and sternum rejected, obviously, surface piercings are notorious for rejecting sad And I've had my nose done 5 times on separate occasions (usually one stud on each side), but I've had surgery done on my nose a few times so they've all had to come out for that.

Familiar Smoker

Eva Satanas
TANRailgun
Eva Satanas
TANRailgun
Eva Satanas

I agree, piercings are a bit easier to remove if you don't like it or change your mind later, but tattoos are something that need to be meditated on and taken seriously.

I don't mind at all. I have one tattoo on the back of my neck, and 17 piercings. Two naval (top and bottom), one nose ring, bridge, industrial, helix, and 10 ear studs going up my ear. The first two holes in each lobe are stretched, the bottom hole being 0g and next being 4g. I've had more done once upon a time, but they've all been removed for various reasons. My nape and sternum rejected, obviously, surface piercings are notorious for rejecting sad And I've had my nose done 5 times on separate occasions (usually one stud on each side), but I've had surgery done on my nose a few times so they've all had to come out for that.
Ooo hardcore. I'm cool with that, just not my style personally ya know? I've always been about the subtlety, I don't want the first thing people notice to be my piercings, I want it to take a few seconds to register so they don't get that initial "eww" reaction that people seem to get a lot with facial piercings. I want them to think it's a nice little addition rather than a major feature. But to each their own.

It seems to work too, I've had a number of people tell me that they don't notice them at first because they don't look out of place, they look like they just belong there.

Edit: Also thinking about getting my tongue pierced, still just thinking about it though. Might do it when I get my next paycheck.
TANRailgun
Ooo hardcore. I'm cool with that, just not my style personally ya know? I've always been about the subtlety, I don't want the first thing people notice to be my piercings, I want it to take a few seconds to register so they don't get that initial "eww" reaction that people seem to get a lot with facial piercings. I want them to think it's a nice little addition rather than a major feature. But to each their own.

It seems to work too, I've had a number of people tell me that they don't notice them at first because they don't look out of place, they look like they just belong there.

I understand smile You actually can't see most of mine either. Most of my piercings are in my ears, and I wear my hair down a lot, which also conceals the tattoo most of the time. I wear glasses so the bridge is hard to see unless you either know it's there so you know to look, or you're looking right into my face lol. The navals, well, I never wear a shirt that reveals that low down. So the only one you can see most of the time is the nose ring, and I have a tiny little silver ring in so it's not very flashy. I wouldn't really care that much though if they were very visible, my set up wasn't intentional. But like you said, to each their own. Do you plan on getting anything else some day?

Familiar Smoker

Eva Satanas
TANRailgun

I understand smile You actually can't see most of mine either. Most of my piercings are in my ears, and I wear my hair down a lot, which also conceals the tattoo most of the time. I wear glasses so the bridge is hard to see unless you either know it's there so you know to look, or you're looking right into my face lol. The navals, well, I never wear a shirt that reveals that low down. So the only one you can see most of the time is the nose ring, and I have a tiny little silver ring in so it's not very flashy. I wouldn't really care that much though if they were very visible, my set up wasn't intentional. But like you said, to each their own. Do you plan on getting anything else some day?
Yeah, like I said in the edit thinking about getting my tongue pierced, also intend on getting at least half sleeves done at some point, just have to decide on a design. I like my tattoos to be unique, they have to mean something to me personally if I'm going to live with them for the rest of my life.
TANRailgun
Eva Satanas
TANRailgun

Yeah, like I said in the edit thinking about getting my tongue pierced, also intend on getting at least half sleeves done at some point, just have to decide on a design. I like my tattoos to be unique, they have to mean something to me personally if I'm going to live with them for the rest of my life.

Oh, sorry I didn't see your edit. I know what you mean, I prefer mine to be unique, and to have meaning. It's why I've only got the one for now.

Familiar Smoker

Eva Satanas
TANRailgun
Eva Satanas
TANRailgun

Oh, sorry I didn't see your edit. I know what you mean, I prefer mine to be unique, and to have meaning. It's why I've only got the one for now.
It's cool, you probably just started replying before I edited. Anywho, yeah I really don't understand "flash" tattoos or why anyone would want something permanently inked onto their body that doesn't really mean anything to them. But yeah, we should probably drop this here...certain mods like to accuse me of spamming when I get too off topic.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff