Welcome to Gaia! ::

From another thread:
Prettz3003
What has to be done in order to achieve unity in America.
Rally behind the president. He's in for 4 more years, and nobody wants hell like election year was... I mean, sure, you can disagree and all, but when EVERYthing Bashes Bush just for money or publicity (*cough Eminem cough*), it just gets out of hand.

K-Spec
I've said this before, and I'll say it again. Supporting the president just because he's the president doesn't make you a good citizen. All it does is make you a good worker bee. Not everyone bashes Bush just for money or publicity. In fact, the majority of the people who bash him don't have any of that. Look at the Bush haters on this forum for example. None of us are getting any money or publicity for it. We're just doing it because we honestly feel that he's a horrible person.

...but of course the only way someone could disagree with conservatives is if he had some selfish motive! Give me a break.

Prettz3003
This isn't the place to rebut this comment, but it would make an EXCELLENT follow-up topic, *hint hint* K-Spec.

Your opinions?
I would have to agree with you almost entirely on this subject. I personally feel that what the president has done in the past and is doing right now is not right. I usually tend to voice that and yet i dont give a ******** about money or publicity. Yes, some people do seem to do it for money but again it is their opinion and they felt like voicing it. The only difference is that they get paid to do so.
We need to rally behind the president? Not last I checked, I dont think anyone should feel obliged to support the guy if they disagree with him. I guess if you want to be patriotic thats fine but being patriotic and supporting the current president and administration are two entirely different things. And any people who think that just because someone doesn't like what we're doing means that they are "unpatriotic" are sorely mistaken. To be patriotic doesn't mean to be behind your president all the way or support our troops, or to fly a billion US flags in your yard. Being patriotic means living in this country, enjoy the country to the best of your content and to support the general welfare of our people and economy. That's patriotism, not acting like ******** jackass.
I note that we are not trying to lock up the government due to our opposition with the president.

The other side has a rather pathetic record about that, what with the shameful way they abused the Clinton mess to prevent any governmental actions at all for quite some time.
Look, both sides are guilt of speaking out against the president/politician. neither side really has the right to critisize(bad spelling, yeah i know) the other. it just so happens that currently the liberals and independents are getting the flak for speaking up. Im not saying what either side says is right, but both have been guilty in the past, numerous times i might say.
mclarenlover92
bush is gayhehehehe

WOW....i applaud you for your well thought out and well structured response. I am thrilled to see the level of education that people like you are recieving in our country. You know, actually, how about next you actually think of good response other than a two second shot at someone that was in all truth retarded. I dont like bush but it doesn't mean I go around yelling out idiotic comments like "BUSH IS GAY!!" and "BUSH IS AN DUMBASS!!". This is extended discussion, we try to pride ourselves as actually having slightly intelligent conversations.
I have to agrue that not all people who criticise Bush are doing so for the fame or the money. Rather, I suspect that a fair number of such people do so because they dislike him as a person in addition to any monetary gain they may recieve. That being said, I would not doubt that being a motivation for some in the entertainment industry.

11,125 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Window Shopper 100
You could also argue that some people supporting Bush only do so out of fame or for money. It goes both ways.
I once took a picture of myself at an anti-Bush protest and put it on the internet... OMG I'm a publicity hound!!! eek

There's a pretty obvious answer to this question, and I think everybody on this thread agrees that it's "no."

Not even all celebrities do it for money. Look at the Dixie Chicks. Do you think they expected the country fans to rejoice in their political decisions and snap up thousands more CD's? No. They spoke what they thought, and got in major trouble for it.

I don't even know why I'm bothering to post about this. It's too simple.

Political pundits... yes. These people bash/support the president for money and publicity. Their job is to take whatever position will get the highest ratings. It doesn't matter what that is or who it supports.
Most other people.... no.

-Reisen

Hygienic Exhibitionist

Well, reservoir_dog06 said pretty much all I would have said, and he phrased it a lot better that I would have too, so I must thank him. And to add on, from what was said in prettz3003's post, while I agree, some people do speak out publicly for money, I would have to say that Eminem is a bad example, for in my opinion, he would stand to lose more than he would gain. He's already very popular with his current music among members of a younger age group (I'd say around midteens to early 20's), and there are generally more democrats in that age group than there are republicans. In my opinion, he would stand to lose more listeners than he would gain. But hey, that's just me.
. . . . or maybe we just hate Bush and do not agree with his policies and he ANNOYS THE ******** s**t out of us . . . .
Well since Bush bashing is the new haute couture, its bound to be a big hit. With "superstars" like Madonna and Gwynnie Paltrow- with their fake British accents, they're British attitudes and their british boyfreinds- I'm not at all suprised that everyone's jumping on the bandwagon. (by the way has anyone ever noticed that Gwyneth Paltrow's british accent she uses in the movies is worse than Madonna's fake accent she uses on a day to day basis?) Its sad that some of the outside world actually reflects the uneducated statments I see some people make on Gaia. No Blood for Oil. Bush lied Kids died. AHHH! I'm so sick of that ignorant reteric I could scream. Oh well, at least my boy got in the white house.
jennyrules930
. . . . or maybe we just hate Bush and do not agree with his policies and he ANNOYS THE ******** s**t out of us . . . .

ummm..... no? sweatdrop Well if we're looking at the narrow scope of skewed "reality" we like to call Gaia, then yes, you might be right. However I believe the election proved otherwise. I was especially "giddy" when I heard that the "Vote or Die" and "Rock the Vote" nonsense proved no help on the Democrat side whatsoever. I believe it went a bit like this.

Celebrity- Make sure you vote this year! And make sure you vote for Kerry!

College Student- Sure, yeah.... Hey! Free Beer!!!
They do? Where to do I sign up for a check? Cause I'm getting gypped.
xXEnderXx
jennyrules930

ummm..... no? sweatdrop Well if we're looking at the narrow scope of skewed "reality" we like to call Gaia, then yes, you might be right. However I believe the election proved otherwise. I was especially "giddy" when I heard that the "Vote or Die" and "Rock the Vote" nonsense proved no help on the Democrat side whatsoever. I believe it went a bit like this.

Celebrity- Make sure you vote this year! And make sure you vote for Kerry!

College Student- Sure, yeah.... Hey! Free Beer!!!

So, because he got elected, no one actually disagrees with his policies and he doesn't annoy anybody? The issue being discussed is: "People who oppose Bush do so for fame and/or money". Our response was "No, other than those damn celebrities, most of us do it because we loathe him with a fiery passion, generally for good reason." To which you seem to have responded: "He got re-elected, so everyone in the nation must love him, except for a few freaks on Gaia." And really, he didn't win by that much. The amount of votes Kerry got would have been enough to win any other presidential election in the past ten years.

And actually the youth vote increased by a significant percentage. Unfortunately for the Democrats, every other demographic increased by a similar percentage. Thus, the youth made up about the same fraction of the total vote as always, even though there were a lot more of them than normal.
K-Spec
From another thread:
Prettz3003
What has to be done in order to achieve unity in America.
Rally behind the president. He's in for 4 more years, and nobody wants hell like election year was... I mean, sure, you can disagree and all, but when EVERYthing Bashes Bush just for money or publicity (*cough Eminem cough*), it just gets out of hand.

K-Spec
I've said this before, and I'll say it again. Supporting the president just because he's the president doesn't make you a good citizen. All it does is make you a good worker bee. Not everyone bashes Bush just for money or publicity. In fact, the majority of the people who bash him don't have any of that. Look at the Bush haters on this forum for example. None of us are getting any money or publicity for it. We're just doing it because we honestly feel that he's a horrible person.

...but of course the only way someone could disagree with conservatives is if he had some selfish motive! Give me a break.

Prettz3003
This isn't the place to rebut this comment, but it would make an EXCELLENT follow-up topic, *hint hint* K-Spec.

Your opinions?

Gee whiz, If this theory was true I would be a rich person and totally famous due to the amount of anti-bush threads I have created razz

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff