Welcome to Gaia! ::

Liberal Streaker

3,950 Points
  • Loiterer 100
  • Streaker 200
  • Mega Tipsy 100
OP namedropped Glenn Beck in his original post in a positive manner. I will disregard anything he has to say.

6,500 Points
  • Member 100
  • Contributor 150
  • Gaian 50
Caucasian Walk
OP namedropped Glenn Beck in his original post in a positive manner. I will disregard anything he has to say.
"This topic recently came up in a segment on Glenn Beck's radio program in April."
How is this anything other than neutral neutral

Shadowy Powerhouse

9,125 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Super Tipsy 200
Well, actually listening to Glenn Beck in the hope of gaining access to factual information is a poor life choice.

6,500 Points
  • Member 100
  • Contributor 150
  • Gaian 50
Wendigo
Glenn Beck
I've never tuned in. I read he talked about it on the web when I was doing preliminary research into potential communist policy assimilating into America. Which reminds me....

Plank 4.
Confiscation of the property of all emigrants and rebels.

Ok so this doesn't happen all the time, but they are restricting gun rights to people the state deems "unsafe" or "unstable" (which is a stole easly placed on rebellious "criminals" ) and they do confiscate any and all potentially dangerous items when the state deems it necessary for "public safety". More often than not the public steers clear of these large mobs when they see them coming, unless they decide to join in the fray, so I think "public safety" is more "police safety" than anything else; but, what are your opine's on this plank?

Some of the links offer up "Public "law" 99-570 (1986); Executive order 11490, sections 1205, 2002 which gives private land to the Department of Urban Development; the imprisonment of "terrorists" and those who speak out or write against the "government" (1997 Crime/Terrorist Bill); or the IRS confiscation of property without due process. Asset forfeiture laws are used by DEA, IRS, ATF etc...)" as other ways this plank is used.

Discuss, if interested.
Not sure if anyone still is, we've been shuffling for a while.

Shadowy Powerhouse

9,125 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Super Tipsy 200
theLeopard XIII
when I was doing preliminary research into potential communist policy assimilating into America.
Out of curiosity, what exactly got you started "doing research" in the first place? The idea's hardly terra incognita, but it's never really got us anywhere but eating away at ourselves needlessly for forty years. Blacklisted poor Lucille Ball over it, y'know, powerful and influential as she was.

Quote:
Ok so this doesn't happen all the time, but they are restricting gun rights to people the state deems "unsafe" or "unstable" (which is a stole easly placed on rebellious "criminals" ) and they do confiscate any and all potentially dangerous items when the state deems it necessary for "public safety".
Not always successfully. See:

Jared Loughner
Thomas Caffall
James Holmes
Cho Seung-hui
John Hinckley, Jr.

All of whom were, at one time or another, able to legally purchase firearms and ammunition and then go on a rampage with said firearms. (In spite of other peoples' existing worries about their stability.) If there were a program of general confiscation at work, you'd think that'd be hard to do.

6,500 Points
  • Member 100
  • Contributor 150
  • Gaian 50
Wendigo
theLeopard XIII
when I was doing preliminary research into potential communist policy assimilating into America.
Out of curiosity, what exactly got you started "doing research" in the first place? The idea's hardly terra incognita, but it's never really got us anywhere but eating away at ourselves needlessly for forty years. Blacklisted poor Lucille Ball over it, y'know, powerful and influential as she was.
Honestly, I don't remember what bug got in my ear. Not a big stretch for me though, considering my disdain for leftist attempts to cultivate 'healthy' habits and liberties and the right's attempts to 'maintain the peace'. They both trample and mangle our liberties in the 'best interest' of society. Maybe I'm alone, but I really just want the government to leave me free to do as I please, while doing it's job to make my life more convenient. I guess I'm just old-fashioned that way. When they founded this place you could do damn near anything short of theft, murder, and treating the blacks like equals.
I shouldn't have to say I oppose that, but I will. I oppose slavery.
Today, I can't even smoke at the park. Or in a bar. In Washington State you can't smoke within 25ft of a doorway.
And the policy itself speaks volumes. Instead of cleaning up the tobacco industry and forcing safer products (you know, one's without radioactive fertilizer or carcinogenic additives) they ban smokers from public areas. I don't know how to put into words how mad this makes me.
It's like putting a bandaid on a stabwound and then getting slapped in the face for the treatment.
We can't make lead toys anymore, but they can still tar up my smokes. @$#*!

The Cold War was bad for a lot of people. I'm not sure what to say, I'm weak on empathy. Weaker on sympathy.
At least she got to be a star.

Wendigo
theLeopard XIII
Ok so this doesn't happen all the time, but they are restricting gun rights to people the state deems "unsafe" or "unstable" (which is a stole easly placed on rebellious "criminals" ) and they do confiscate any and all potentially dangerous items when the state deems it necessary for "public safety".
Not always successfully. See:

Jared Loughner
Thomas Caffall
James Holmes
Cho Seung-hui
John Hinckley, Jr.

All of whom were, at one time or another, able to legally purchase firearms and ammunition and then go on a rampage with said firearms. (In spite of other peoples' existing worries about their stability.) If there were a program of general confiscation at work, you'd think that'd be hard to do.
We'll never build a net to catch all the fish. There's too much water.
Hard to argue for gun control though, considering its protected Constitutionally.
Something we have to live with, and despite the consequences I'm glad for the liberty.
Guns have no place in civilized society, until you need one. Then you better hope you have one.
Or you could be killed. *shrug* To each his own.

Shadowy Powerhouse

9,125 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Super Tipsy 200
That'd be a different forty years. Thirties through seventies, with a brief intermission during the war years where Soviet Communists were heroes and we were looking for Fascist infiltrators instead. Followed by the nascent arms race, space race, and proxy battles in Korea (with the Chinese), Vietnam (with the Chinese), Afghanistan (with the Russians), Iran and Iraq (with ourselves), and lately whoever's handy.

That early strain of anti-communism, of course, was some of the most rotten, despicable poison that has ever crawled upon the surface of the earth. Liked to dress itself up as a love for freedom, patriotism and personal property rights, tho'.

Shadowy Powerhouse

9,125 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Super Tipsy 200
the Leopard XIII

Ugh, I suck at history. I always figured the Red Scare was part of the pre-Cold War. They aren't related at all o:<

Well, most of the focus academically is on Joseph McCarthy. His waving around blank sheets of paper covered in the names of "card-carrying Communists in the State Department" was certainly picturesque, as was his censure by the Senate and subsequent swift deterioration from alcoholism. But there was a kind of background noise to it, beginning with the Russian Revolution (when it became clear that such revolutions are possible) and worsening around the time Hoover sent tanks to chase off the Bonus Army. (If a communist upheaval were going to happen here, ever, that was probably the time.)

Things just kind of exploded in terms of anti-communist hysteria when communists got The Bomb, though. Then all bets were off. Could have become a lot worse than it did, considering they were practically up to spectral evidence. That's the auto-da-fe, naturally. It'll just keep grinding as long as there's somebody willing to turn the gears.

6,500 Points
  • Member 100
  • Contributor 150
  • Gaian 50
Don't take my stuff, gov'ment.
I worked hard to get what little I have.
The anti-Semitism of the Russians was just as poisonous. More deadly too.

Shadowy Powerhouse

9,125 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Super Tipsy 200
theLeopard XIII
More poisonous than Charles Coughlin and Elizabeth Dilling's antisemitism? Doubt that, myself. Seems to me it's the same vintage. Scapegoating, y'know, it's easiest to pick on the people with the least power.

6,500 Points
  • Member 100
  • Contributor 150
  • Gaian 50
Wendigo
theLeopard XIII
More poisonous than Charles Coughlin and Elizabeth Dilling's antisemitism? Doubt that, myself. Seems to me it's the same vintage. Scapegoating, y'know, it's easiest to pick on the people with the least power.
Aha, be careful. I said "just as poisonous", and "more deadly". Same vintage, different vinyard. 'S why I feel bad for the 1%'ers. They really are the little guy. All that "power" and nothing to do with it, except destabilize the middle class of course.

6,500 Points
  • Member 100
  • Contributor 150
  • Gaian 50
Wendigo
That early strain of anti-communism, of course, was some of the most rotten, despicable poison that has ever crawled upon the surface of the earth. Liked to dress itself up as a love for freedom, patriotism and personal property rights, tho'.
Not something to aspire to.
What think you was underneath those dressings?

Shy Werewolf

A destabilized middle class is exactly why there are so many people pissed off at the 1%. Just because the economy is capitalist, doesn't mean the peasants won't revolt against the aristocracy from time to time.

The main benefit, from a society perspective, capitalism offers is that it's MUCH each easier to obtain and maintain a middle class. When capitalism doesn't fulfill that promise, the truce is off.

Shadowy Powerhouse

9,125 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Super Tipsy 200
theLeopard XIII
Wendigo
Not something to aspire to.
What think you was underneath those dressings?
Well, Charles Coughlin (the "Radio Priest" ) and Elizabeth Dilling (of "The Red Book" ) were basically fascists. Like, literal advocates of fascism. Endorsed Franco and Hitler. Had a lot of negative things to say about "Jewry." (As well as international communist Jew bankers, as much sense as that makes. Communist bankers.) Wanted to have various public figures denounced as being in league with communists, Jews, or in Dilling's case, often Albert Einstein or labor unions.

Why Einstein, I dunno. I guess she figured, as long as you can find a Jew.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff