Welcome to Gaia! ::

Chistmas

Total Votes:[ 0 ]
This poll closed on December 11, 2004.
No longer accepting new votes.
1 2 >

Can any one tell me why there is such a fuss about christmas? I mean christmas has been a specail holiday since it was first celibrated(sp?) and it has reliogouse roots that have survived even with all the commercleiszation(sp?). So why change it now? Dont give me that crap of seperating church and state you wanna do that stick with the Gay marrage, creationism vs evolution in school stuff. I mean do these people truely have a hate for God or any other religion or what? If you don't like christmas so much God to some place that doesn't celibrate it or lock your self up in your house until its over becuase its just ruining the holiday for the rest of us. Now back to the question I was asking to begin with. Why is their such a fuss of christmas?
Sigh, Christmas never was a truly Christian holiday, I don't know why people defend it so damned much.
-Blind Guardian-
Sigh, Christmas never was a truly Christian holiday, I don't know why people defend it so damned much.

True it started out as a pagen holiday until the church (unable to get rid of the holiday nor find out christs true birth date) made it a religouse holiday I stills ee no reason trying to take the religouse part of it out of it. Your not chritsian and you wanna celibrate the Holiday season you got you Comercailized version and we christains of our religouse part.
I don't understand why people get all up in arms about the "ruining of Christmas." Jesus' birthday was in the spring. We are simply following the tradition set out by the "Pagan" groups who first celebrated the holiday...

11,125 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Window Shopper 100
I think there'd be less controversy if there was an acknowledgement that December 25th has become more-or-less a symbolic "It's winter, it's cold, it's too dark out, let's celebrate" event for those who aren't Christian.

And if the damn merchandise didn't show up in stores until November. stare
-Blind Guardian-

Not true, the date of Christmas was originally pagan. December 25 was chosen though to not cause that big of a stirr since one day was as good as any. And of course given that the religions that originally celebrated there are dead, well no one else is left with a claim.
It should be less commercial. The point of it was to be with family and celebrate the birth of someone influencial to the Christians... I am an Aithiest, but I don't see the point of not celebrating it. It's a great reason to be with family.
Lord Fates
-Blind Guardian-

Not true, the date of Christmas was originally pagan. December 25 was chosen though to not cause that big of a stirr since one day was as good as any. And of course given that the religions that originally celebrated there are dead, well no one else is left with a claim.

Well what did I ******** say in my post? WASN'T A CHRISTIAN HOLIDAY. Jesus Christ.
Christmas is a time of the year to get off of school and spend time with there familys. Even if your a christan or anything else you still get to spend time with your family, thats the most important thing. Also the presents,lol! blaugh
I don't see how this is relevant to politics. Why not post this in religion and morality?

Kurd Jam's Significant Otter

Countess Confectioner

59,975 Points
  • The Sweetest 250
  • Knife Club Lifetime Membership 0
  • The Edgiest 250
Featauril
I don't see how this is relevant to politics. Why not post this in religion and morality?
It's a federally recognized holiday so therefore it is political. If it wasn't recognized by the federal government you couldn't go to the shopping mall but you could go to the post office or pay your taxes at city hall.

As for the responses to this topic I'm sort of shocked. I thought there would be much more along the lines of people defending it as a religious holiday. As for me it's a cultural affair. I was raised with Christmas as the central part of winter. While the religious aspect was at the back of our minds we treated it more as a time for family gathering.

I'm more offended by the commercial aspect of Christmas than I am of the Christians hi-jacking and claiming for their own a pagan holiday. Let them have it, it doesn't bother me and it shouldn't bother anybody else, that would be known as tolerance, something a lot of people could use with a good dose of.
Canicuss
I'm more offended by the commercial aspect of Christmas than I am of the Christians hi-jacking and claiming for their own a pagan holiday. Let them have it, it doesn't bother me and it shouldn't bother anybody else, that would be known as tolerance, something a lot of people could use with a good dose of.

Ah, so stealing is socially acceptable now? Oh wait, no, it must be acceptable cause the people that did the stealing are Christians and that makes it okay.

I am equally offended by the commercial aspect of Yule (its PROPER name) as it has effectively been bastardised twice. Now Yule just seems to be a celebration of capitalism.
-Blind Guardian-
Canicuss

Ah, so stealing is socially acceptable now? Oh wait, no, it must be acceptable cause the people that did the stealing are Christians and that makes it okay.

I am equally offended by the commercial aspect of Yule (its PROPER name) as it has effectively been bastardised twice. Now Yule just seems to be a celebration of capitalism.
I wasn't aware that deciding to celebrate something in a similar manner as another religion constituted theft. I don't see how any pagan religion - Yule is a Norse thing, so any non-norse religion is 'stealing' it - would be harmed by christians celebrating christmas around that time of year.

Shall we tell Buddhists, then, that they're 'stealing' from Hinduism? Or how about dissing Muslims for 'stealing' from judaism? Wiccans that they're 'stealing' from the Norse and the 'Celts'?

Religions evolve as they spread around. Bastardization invariably occurs to varying degrees as a religion mixes with local traditions.

The Norse can still celebrate Yule if they wish. Christians 'stole' nothing, though they may have adopted certain customs from other religions along the way.
Via History Channel:

In the early 17th century, a wave of religious reform changed the way Christmas was celebrated in Europe. When Oliver Cromwell and his Puritan forces took over England in 1645, they vowed to rid England of decadence and, as part of their effort, cancelled Christmas. By popular demand, Charles II was restored to the throne and, with him, came the return of the popular holiday.

The pilgrims, English separatists that came to America in 1620, were even more orthodox in their Puritan beliefs than Cromwell. As a result, Christmas was not a holiday in early America. From 1659 to 1681, the celebration of Christmas was actually outlawed in Boston. Anyone exhibiting the Christmas spirit was fined five shillings. By contrast, in the Jamestown settlement, Captain John Smith reported that Christmas was enjoyed by all and passed without incident.

After the American Revolution, English customs fell out of favor, including Christmas. In fact, Congress was in session on December 25, 1789, the first Christmas under America's new constitution. Christmas wasn't declared a federal holiday until June 26, 1870.

For 100 years, America did not recognize Christmas.

At least federal Christmas has been around longer than "Under God" in the pledge, though. wink

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff