Welcome to Gaia! ::

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200
for people complaining about keeping snakes in tubs
I have been keeping my ball python in a storage bin for years. its easier to keep the humidity up and she doesn't get stressed out by seeing people and animals come up to her bin all the time. reptiles don't like to see their owners all the time like most other pets, its a different set of rules for them,. usually the less human interaction they get the happier they are

I do have plans to move her back into a tank soon, but that's just for my pleasure, she will get no benefit from it one way or the other. so long as she gets fed once a week and has a place to hide she couldn't care less if she is in a pretty tank or a plastic tub with paper towels

now mind you, when most reptile owners keep their reptiles in tubs those tubs are usually the same size as many tanks. the tub I keep my snake in is about the size of a 40gal tank. its not big enough for her to stretch out in, but a ball python doesn't really want to stretch out, they are very lazy snakes and when they have all their needs met and are happy usually they just want to stay curled up and sleep

and rack systems are wonderful imo, I love them and would love to have one someday

Fluffy Collector

14,265 Points
  • Grunny Grabber 50
  • Luminary Melee Champion 200
  • Friend of the Goat 100
Interesting to read about snakes as I've never had a reptile...it got a little off topic though.

I've had quite a few pets over the years so I'm just going to give a few traits of each and maybe you can find out which one you like?

Dogs: They don't need too much attention, just a walk or chew toy can be good enough for them. You can get their food and care products any place so they're very easy to maintain. Tons of accessories are in pet stores to groom them, dress them up, give them fancy treats, and a simple dog bed to lay in. They come in all sizes, fur colors, and fur textures. You can bring them almost anywhere, and even enter them in contests!

Cats: They don't require much attention either, petting them is fine you don't even need to walk them! Just play with them using a string or feathers. Tons of foods are available to them (soft, hard, canned), they have giant houses to climb in and scratch up. They also come in many colors and fur textures (but not so much size) You can't bring them as many places, unless you want to hold them all the way there. They're good for a lazy pet to be in bed with.

Fish: These come in so many different shapes and environments...salt water, fresh water, a regular bowl, it all depends on what you choose. Some get costy after paying for the tank, feed, multiples of fish, and cleaner. They're definitely a good pet if you want something for looks, to customize in almost every way, but don't require much attention other than supplies and temperature regulating. If you go for more exotic fish you're going to have a harder time finding what they need.

Rabbits: You can pet them, hold them, litter train them or put them in cages. Some have pointed ears and some have ones that hang. Most pet stores carry their supplies (unless you want high-end products for a show bunny), they can be in contests, and are good pets if you wanted something quiet. They can enjoy just being pet and receiving treats or being let out of their cages to the backyard.

Hamsters: They're tiny, cute, stay in cages that come in many styles now. But they don't last long (2 years max) on the other hand, you can put them in a ball and let them roam free without having to worry about your walls being chewed up. Most hamsters are the same size, some are bigger, but they do have an okay amount of colors. Some are nice, some will bite you until you bleed. There's tons of chewing toys available and one of their favorite treats is everywhere (sun flower seeds) They don't create much noise, and don't need too much attention.

Genie pig: Almost like a fat hamster with hanging ears. They live in cages and do create the occasional sound, most of their supplies is in pet stores. Genies are pretty much the same size and don't have too many colors but they DO have tons of different furs. Great pet if you wanted a hamster but something that would last longer and wouldn't run away from you super fast. You can put them in balls too, or just set them on the floor/bed and watch them move around. Don't require too much attention unless you plan to put them in contests.

Chinchillas: oh these guys can be entertaining. I own 3 currently (mom, dad, baby). They live in very tall cages so that they may hop up and down. Mine are 4 feet tall, 3 feet wide. But some are up to 6-7 feet tall and 4 feet wide. You usually use that if you have multiples of them (5-6). Unfortunately they aren't as easy to take care of, considering the best supplies for them isn't sold in average pet stores. The best cages for them are custom made, and they have a pretty strict temperature need of 65-75 degrees. You're supposed to take them out everyday for at least an hour in a room with no wires, walls protected, and no water. Chinchillas come in the same size, most of their furs are the same, but they have tons of colors to choose from. You can't bathe them as a normal dog or chicken. You have to put them in a dust and they'll roll around in it since water would create fungus due to their fur being so thick. They can however be entered in contests, and be entertaining for someone energized and wanting an exotic pet. Their life span is around 20 years long, so I hope you're dedicated!

apologies for how long this turned out to be
THAT woman
Dogs: They don't need too much attention, just a walk or chew toy can be good enough for them. You can get their food and care products any place so they're very easy to maintain. Tons of accessories are in pet stores to groom them, dress them up, give them fancy treats, and a simple dog bed to lay in. They come in all sizes, fur colors, and fur textures. You can bring them almost anywhere, and even enter them in contests!

Cats: They don't require much attention either, petting them is fine you don't even need to walk them! Just play with them using a string or feathers. Tons of foods are available to them (soft, hard, canned), they have giant houses to climb in and scratch up. They also come in many colors and fur textures (but not so much size) You can't bring them as many places, unless you want to hold them all the way there. They're good for a lazy pet to be in bed with.

I don't know what kinds of dogs/cats you've been around, but in my experience most need a lot more attention than you've described. Good food also isn't as easy to obtain as you make it sound if you live in a small town (I have two good brand options for kibble in my town; for wet [this company doesn't do wet food], treats, and variety with kibble-brands, I have to drive almost an hour). A lot of places in my area also aren't very dog-friendly and since you shouldn't be leaving them in the car when the temperatures are up, they have to stay home when I go out.

-just saying-

Devoted Raider

8,550 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Partygoer 500
  • Friendly 100
THAT woman
Interesting to read about snakes as I've never had a reptile...it got a little off topic though.

I've had quite a few pets over the years so I'm just going to give a few traits of each and maybe you can find out which one you like?

Fish: These come in so many different shapes and environments...salt water, fresh water, a regular bowl, it all depends on what you choose. Some get costy after paying for the tank, feed, multiples of fish, and cleaner. They're definitely a good pet if you want something for looks, to customize in almost every way, but don't require much attention other than supplies and temperature regulating. If you go for more exotic fish you're going to have a harder time finding what they need.

Rabbits: You can pet them, hold them, litter train them or put them in cages. Some have pointed ears and some have ones that hang. Most pet stores carry their supplies (unless you want high-end products for a show bunny), they can be in contests, and are good pets if you wanted something quiet. They can enjoy just being pet and receiving treats or being let out of their cages to the backyard.

Hamsters: They're tiny, cute, stay in cages that come in many styles now. But they don't last long (2 years max) on the other hand, you can put them in a ball and let them roam free without having to worry about your walls being chewed up. Most hamsters are the same size, some are bigger, but they do have an okay amount of colors. Some are nice, some will bite you until you bleed. There's tons of chewing toys available and one of their favorite treats is everywhere (sun flower seeds) They don't create much noise, and don't need too much attention.

Genie pig: Almost like a fat hamster with hanging ears. They live in cages and do create the occasional sound, most of their supplies is in pet stores. Genies are pretty much the same size and don't have too many colors but they DO have tons of different furs. Great pet if you wanted a hamster but something that would last longer and wouldn't run away from you super fast. You can put them in balls too, or just set them on the floor/bed and watch them move around. Don't require too much attention unless you plan to put them in contests.

Chinchillas: oh these guys can be entertaining. I own 3 currently (mom, dad, baby). They live in very tall cages so that they may hop up and down. Mine are 4 feet tall, 3 feet wide. But some are up to 6-7 feet tall and 4 feet wide. You usually use that if you have multiples of them (5-6). Unfortunately they aren't as easy to take care of, considering the best supplies for them isn't sold in average pet stores. The best cages for them are custom made, and they have a pretty strict temperature need of 65-75 degrees. You're supposed to take them out everyday for at least an hour in a room with no wires, walls protected, and no water. Chinchillas come in the same size, most of their furs are the same, but they have tons of colors to choose from. You can't bathe them as a normal dog or chicken. You have to put them in a dust and they'll roll around in it since water would create fungus due to their fur being so thick. They can however be entered in contests, and be entertaining for someone energized and wanting an exotic pet. Their life span is around 20 years long, so I hope you're dedicated!

apologies for how long this turned out to be

couple things that are bolded.

Dogs: overall it depends on the dog, but most dogs will require more than just a walk and some chews. They need daily training/interaction and play to help keep them well adjusted. Bored dogs will be terrors in the house and will become distructive. To feed good/healthy food/treats it isn't as easy to get. 95% of food sold where you buy food that you eat is garbage (think eating Burger king everyday)

Cats: Again unless you get an older cat that is just lazy they will need attention (some not as much as a dog). Like dogs they will become distructive when bored, or not properly trained. This can result in things like furniture being attacked or it can escalate to a person being attacked. Food is a huge issue for cats and in some cases due to health concerns more important than dogs. They really should require a water fountain, and a wet diet of healthy/good food to let them live out their lives, which can be to their late teens early twenties. And though you didn't mention anything about this: Cats should always be indoor cats unless they are harnessed trained and taken on walks, or have a secure outdoor enclosure (aka a top). Some cats are very dog like and really do need a lot of work. (hang around the forum and you will see)

Fish: Should never ever ever EVER be kept in bowls.

Rabbits: can't just bet let into the backyard. Also need fresh veggies daily, and hay all the time.

Hamsters: I'm going to guess you are talking about these...these are death traps and shouldn't house anything. They are way way way to small for any sort of hamster or gerbil. Ball time should only be for about 15mins due to potty breaks, and balls not having good air flow where the animal might over heat. They also still need supervision when in balls because they are rodents they can easily chew out of the ball. The best thing for out of cage time is to have a safe area set up, like a bathroom or a play pen and let the animal out in that. Also If you want a well adjusted hamster they do need a lot of attention to keep them tame. (Most biting hamsters are just not tame. The large ones (syrians/teddy bears/long haired....they are all the same kind of hamster) WILL murder cage mates so they need to live by themselves, Syrians require at least 20 gallons of space. Not all dwarfs are the same there are 4 species, and some can live in same sex pairs, if gotten from the same litter. don't mix Dwarf species. a pair so have at least 10 gallons to run around in, but like for any animal more is ALWAYS better.

Guinea pig: BALLS and WHEELS are giant huge Nos for pigges, they don't have a flexable back to use them, and they will lead to back injuries and short lives. They need to live in groups as they are super social animals. They need fresh veggies daily along with hay at all times. They need about 7-10 sq feet of floor space for 2 pigs. Also if you want well rounded pigs that are friendly they need to have attention and out of cage time as well.

I think that is everything.....

Wealthy Fatcat

4,050 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Partygoer 500

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items