Welcome to Gaia! ::

5,300 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Flatterer 200
ok so its my little cousins Birthday in about a week. Her parents want me to get her an animal, because shes always wanted one and they would like a family pet. The little girl is 6, and her parents dont want a dog. ive been thinking about buying a cat or fish. Any other suggestions?

Inquisitive Bookworm

9,850 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Jack-pot 100
do not, I repeat, DO NOT get her a baby animal. While it may seem cute and a good idea at the time, a six year old child may not know when she is actually hurting the animal and when she isn't. In my opinion a dog would be the best choice or a VERY social grown kitty cat.

8,800 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Noob wrangler 100
  • Pie Hoarder by Proxy 150
I would say the PARENTS can get her the animal since they are the ones that WANT a family pet....

animals DO NOT make good pets. Gifts!!! I meant Gifts!!!!

editted....

Regular

Well, that's a tough. I do suggest the parents get it for her. But a child will always want a pet they can touch, love, care, and not be frightened of. A puppy is too much and a fish..they will probably die soon since it's not that fun to play with really.A lizard is mostly for boys but a little girl will be scared of it.
Her parents should get it for her, you should tell them why. If you're too scared to stand up to them get your parents to make them understand ^^
-I hope it works out for you! *Thumbs up!

8,800 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Noob wrangler 100
also for fish....they are not starter pets... most need a filter, and heater.... so at least a 2 gallon tank to safely heat. the "fancy" gold fish grow to about 6 inches and need about a 20-29 gallon tank with a GOOD filter because they are just pooping machines. they are cold water fish so mostly they have to be housed alone. Feeder goldfish? they grow upt to a foot long and need a 40+ gallon tank.

Bettas do well in 5-10 gallons but they need a low filter (one that doesn't stir the water up much...so like a sponge filter...or something buffering the water that gets put back in to the tank), and a heater since they are tropical fish. They can't be put with anything that has flashy fins because they will mistake it as another betta.
misskittypuff
ok so its my little cousins Birthday in about a week. Her parents want me to get her an animal, because shes always wanted one and they would like a family pet. The little girl is 6, and her parents dont want a dog. ive been thinking about buying a cat or fish. Any other suggestions?
a fish sorta dies fast like mines how about a ferret they dont do much like mine,my ferret likes to run around alot when playing with her toy so watch out sometimes u may not see them and trip over it

Wealthy Hunter

7,650 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Partygoer 500
dogs are awsome pets and friends!
Which seat can I take?
Get her a guinea pig. Dey so cute and small.

8,800 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Noob wrangler 100
Fennn
What seat should I take?
Get her a guinea pig. Dey so cute and small.

piggies need to be in atleast pairs. and they need more than those "starter" cages that are sold for them... (to small) balls/wheels are no nos... there back can't bend that way ((the extra stuff is for the OP)

5,300 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Flatterer 200
ive been thinking about it and thanx for all the replies! and Fennn, thanx, i think i will get her a guinea pig, it sounds like the best idea! but i would also like to mention that this girl is very responsible, so that is why her parents wanted me to get her an animal. i dont know why they chose me, but i think its because i have very many animals myself.

9,100 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Hygienic 200
misskittypuff
ive been thinking about it and thanx for all the replies! and Fennn, thanx, i think i will get her a guinea pig, it sounds like the best idea! but i would also like to mention that this girl is very responsible, so that is why her parents wanted me to get her an animal. i dont know why they chose me, but i think its because i have very many animals myself.

~~

Don't get her a guinea pig. They MUST be in pairs. <3

~~

1,500 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Gaian 50
Get a Yorki. they are cute and does not shad!
dog, dogs are the freshest animals

Magnetic Phantom

misskittypuff

Honestly, you should not get her any pet at all.

She's only six years old, which means that she cannot be expected to care for a pet all by herself.
Her parents will have to be the ones responsible for that.
And I seriously, seriously doubt they're going to do that, if they cannot even be bothered to do the research and choose the pet themselves.

Pets are not gifts. And they are not toys for little kids to play with.
Getting a pet should not be a spur-of-the-moment decision.

Furthermore, you have to take into consideration that a cat may live for 20 years.
By that time, your cousin will be 26. - Who will take care of the cat while she goes off to college?
Who will take care of the cat when he/she gets old and may need medication and constant care?

If I were you, I would make very sure that her parents are on board before any decision is made.
The pet will always be more theirs than their kid's.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff