Welcome to Gaia! ::

Should all pets be spayed/neutered no matter what?

Yes 0.125 12.5% [ 1 ]
No 0.375 37.5% [ 3 ]
It depends 0.5 50.0% [ 4 ]
Total Votes:[ 8 ]
< 1 2 3

Devoted Inquisitor

Both our dogs are fixed; Zobby was neutered younger than I would now, but because he was owned by people who let him door-dart and wander at that time, that was for the best. Elsie was spayed a little younger than I'd like.

In the future, my male dogs will likely remain intact indefinitely unless there's a pressing reason to neuter. My female dogs will likely remain intact until they are three or so. I think it's important for dogs doing high impact sports to remain intact as long as possible, to promote musculoskeletal health.

I've lived with intact dogs for most of my life, and we've never had an 'oops' litter, and we've had one dog who had a uterine infection (caught very early, she was fine) and one dog who had testicular cancer (caught early, he was fine).

Shanna66

Lots if other people let their intact dogs off leash and have no control over them. If stowrm wasnt fixed i would be worried about her getting preggers and im prolife for personal belief reasons so i wouldnt get an espay unless she was in danger. I just feel its easier to have her fixed and not have to worry about all that smile

You understand that dogs can't get pregnant all the time, right? And that they have to have sex in order to do so? whee You just... keep an eye on your dog, which you should be anyway.

Devoted Inquisitor

pseudocyesis

In the same sense that Akitas, GSDs, Huskies, are breeds that are usually assholes. You like one or all these breeds? Okay. But I think they're assholes [usually].

addendum: I know there are really great dogs that happen to be Akitas, GSDs, Huskies (we just don't see any, I think it's usually a case of bad owners that get more dog than they can handle, and don't train them or teach them any manners...).

This cracks me up; there's a vet tech at our vet who HATES my Elsie, for the same basic reason and I always wonder... why does he think it matters to me? Like sure; she's not an easy dog for dog professionals to do stuff too, but I didn't really buy a dog for their pleasure. whee

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200
Latrans
Both our dogs are fixed; Zobby was neutered younger than I would now, but because he was owned by people who let him door-dart and wander at that time, that was for the best. Elsie was spayed a little younger than I'd like.

In the future, my male dogs will likely remain intact indefinitely unless there's a pressing reason to neuter. My female dogs will likely remain intact until they are three or so. I think it's important for dogs doing high impact sports to remain intact as long as possible, to promote musculoskeletal health.

I've lived with intact dogs for most of my life, and we've never had an 'oops' litter, and we've had one dog who had a uterine infection (caught very early, she was fine) and one dog who had testicular cancer (caught early, he was fine).

Shanna66

Lots if other people let their intact dogs off leash and have no control over them. If stowrm wasnt fixed i would be worried about her getting preggers and im prolife for personal belief reasons so i wouldnt get an espay unless she was in danger. I just feel its easier to have her fixed and not have to worry about all that smile

You understand that dogs can't get pregnant all the time, right? And that they have to have sex in order to do so? whee You just... keep an eye on your dog, which you should be anyway.

yeah but im paranoid. Idk, maybe all that anti breeding stuff makes me worried that male dogs just sit in bushes all day waiting for a female to come near lol

Im not used to living with an intact dog so it just seems weird to me and im more than happy to avoid it
11 Cardinal 11
I don't feel spay/neuter is necessary to be a responsible petdog owner.

Juniper will be intact indefinitely at this point in time with no plans to ever breed. My future male will be intact unless contract states otherwise or health issue.
I agree with regards to dogs, but there is no responsible way to keep an intact pet cat.

Eternal Sex Symbol

44,250 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Battle: Mage 100
  • Battle Hardened 150
My family always spays/neuters our cats and dogs. Even if the animals aren't allowed outside, there's always risk that they'll escape. (in the case of a backyard dog, a loose neighbor dog could get into the yard) We don't need to deal with the trouble of trying to rehome a bunch of animals. If the pet isn't purebred or some "designer breed", it can be difficult to find a home. My dog is especially energetic and not very bright. She's friendly, but not easy to deal with. If she had puppies that shared those traits, I imagine it would be quite difficult to find local families who would be willing to put up with them long term. I'm sure we all have stories about people who get dogs and then neglect them.

I say if you don't plan on breeding your cats and dogs, you better have a damn good reason if you want to keep them intact. I don't normally try to tell people how to raise their pets unless there's some kind of animal welfare issue involved (like people who try to give vegan diets to their cats and dogs or some s**t) but most people can't handle their intact pets well enough to prevent surprise litters, and most people who do get surprise litters aren't prepared to deal with that either. It's really more about my lack of trust in the average pet owner, I guess. People on this pet forum seem to be pretty responsible, at least.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff