Welcome to Gaia! ::

Magical Fatcat

10,050 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Generous 100
My boyfriend has been buying 9 Lives for his cats as food and it's been bothering me. We went to the store the other day and he told me to pick out whatever cat food was the best there. Well, nothing was very good for them so I told him he should just get what he's been getting for them. I told him that none of the foods there were very good for them. He said he's going to start buying better food for his kitties!! biggrin I told him there's one at Walmart that is somewhat good for them and at a better price than the stuff you get at Petsmart and such. He said he was going to buy it. It doesn't have meal, corn, or grains in it. So, I figured it would be much better than what he has now. It also has real meat in it! You don't see meal with the meat parts of the ingredients. I forget the name of it. sweatdrop But, I figured it's better than what he is feeding them now.
Actually, it's good when named meat ingredients are in meal form, because it means they've been processed, the water removed, etc.. so that their placement on the ingredient list is fairly accurate. The key is that it be a named source (chicken or beef, not poultry or meat).

The same sort of thing kind of goes for "by-products" they sound like an awful thing to include, but really they're an important part of the diet - it's just preferable that they be more specific (so "chicken liver, chicken hearts, etc.." is better than "chicken by-products" just because you know exactly what organs you're getting), and again named sourcing is important.

http://tailblazerspets.com/tailblazers-pet-ingredient-dictionary.php is handy for learning just what some of the ingredients are.

Magical Fatcat

10,050 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Generous 100
~ Aki - Fairy ~
Actually, it's good when named meat ingredients are in meal form, because it means they've been processed, the water removed, etc.. so that their placement on the ingredient list is fairly accurate. The key is that it be a named source (chicken or beef, not poultry or meat).

The same sort of thing kind of goes for "by-products" they sound like an awful thing to include, but really they're an important part of the diet - it's just preferable that they be more specific (so "chicken liver, chicken hearts, etc.." is better than "chicken by-products" just because you know exactly what organs you're getting), and again named sourcing is important.

http://tailblazerspets.com/tailblazers-pet-ingredient-dictionary.php is handy for learning just what some of the ingredients are.

Oh well dang! I always thought meal was like the corn meal and stuff like that. That's really good to know. The stuff I suggested doesn't have the grains or corn in it though so I thought that would be a plus for them. I'll make sure I check out that link though thank you.
II Princess J II
~ Aki - Fairy ~

Oh well dang! I always thought meal was like the corn meal and stuff like that. That's really good to know. The stuff I suggested doesn't have the grains or corn in it though so I thought that would be a plus for them. I'll make sure I check out that link though thank you.

Actually corn meal is the same in that it's the dehydrated/processed form as well, so you weren't entirely off base with that thought.
Getting them onto corn-free, grain-free is a good step though.

For more on how to understand ingredients, I find this to be handy - it's for dog food so obviously the actual foods aren't so applicable (though most companies do have formulas for both), but I love how they explain the good and bad points (actually they're probably where I really picked up on my way of breaking down the list from)

Magical Fatcat

10,050 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Generous 100
~ Aki - Fairy ~
II Princess J II
~ Aki - Fairy ~

Actually corn meal is the same in that it's the dehydrated/processed form as well, so you weren't entirely off base with that thought.
Getting them onto corn-free, grain-free is a good step though.

For more on how to understand ingredients, I find this to be handy - it's for dog food so obviously the actual foods aren't so applicable (though most companies do have formulas for both), but I love how they explain the good and bad points (actually they're probably where I really picked up on my way of breaking down the list from)

At least I got something right haha XD
Oh that is really helpful!!

Sparkling Lunatic

Good food makes a difference for any living body.

When you eat junk, or poor quality food, your body will clearly show the results.

Same for our pets.

You totally did a good deed by encouraging better food for your bfs kitty's.
You could ask a vet for a good food that is on your budget.
Bits Of Silver

The only problem with this is that most vets are poorly educated about pet nutrition and what makes a food good and will just encourage people to feed nasty stuff.

Magical Fatcat

10,050 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Generous 100
Bits Of Silver
Good food makes a difference for any living body.

When you eat junk, or poor quality food, your body will clearly show the results.

Same for our pets.

You totally did a good deed by encouraging better food for your bfs kitty's.

Whenever we move in together, I told him I'd buy his kitties food too. I've been buying mine Wellness, Blue Buffalo, and there's one I was looking at to try out. I forget the name though. I'll have to look for it again.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff