Welcome to Gaia! ::

Generous Millionaire

Does anyone own a Shiloh? If so, please tell me what I am headed for!

Generous Millionaire

Generous Millionaire

Generous Millionaire

Generous Millionaire

Generous Millionaire

Generous Millionaire

Generous Millionaire

Generous Millionaire

Only Brangelina can own a Shiloh =/

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Edit:

Stop bumping. You don't have to bump unless your topic leaves the front page, we're a slow moving Forum, this isn't the CB.

Generous Millionaire

lol Anyone can own one. They breed them here in Canada.

Newbie Feeder

9,250 Points
  • Timid 100
  • Generous 100
  • Friendly 100
First of all, very pretty breed. I love that they don't have a sloped back like so many modern GSD. I hope it will help with hip dysplasia.

Are you getting a puppy? If you are, enroll it in a reputable training program. I'd talk to the breeder/rescue you're getting it from and ask for recommendations. Puppies soak up information like sponges and you want it to grow into a calm, well-behaved dog. If it's already an adult, training will help you form a bond and learn to communicate and it will also socialize them.

See if you can get to know some other Shiloh owners. http://www.webring.org/hub/issrshilohshephe and http://www.shilohshepherd.com/ seem to be a good start. They'll be able to offer advice for food (they grow large and will need large-breed dog food or even a raw diet to get the right levels of nutrients.)

I hope you're active and have either a large back yard or access to a dog park. These are working dogs and will get into all sorts of mischief if they're not entertained and happy. That leads to stuff like barking, chewing, and piddling inside.And make sure you have a good vet and the number to an emergency clinic in case anything happens.

Get the house pet-proofed and bring home the food, toys, etc. before bringing the dog home so he'll be able to settle in. People would bring their brand new dogs into the PetSmart I worked at and the dogs looked like they didn't know what on earth was going on.

Generous Millionaire

AlaskaStreet
First of all, very pretty breed. I love that they don't have a sloped back like so many modern GSD. I hope it will help with hip dysplasia.

Are you getting a puppy? If you are, enroll it in a reputable training program. I'd talk to the breeder/rescue you're getting it from and ask for recommendations. Puppies soak up information like sponges and you want it to grow into a calm, well-behaved dog. If it's already an adult, training will help you form a bond and learn to communicate and it will also socialize them.

See if you can get to know some other Shiloh owners. http://www.webring.org/hub/issrshilohshephe and http://www.shilohshepherd.com/ seem to be a good start. They'll be able to offer advice for food (they grow large and will need large-breed dog food or even a raw diet to get the right levels of nutrients.)

I hope you're active and have either a large back yard or access to a dog park. These are working dogs and will get into all sorts of mischief if they're not entertained and happy. That leads to stuff like barking, chewing, and piddling inside.And make sure you have a good vet and the number to an emergency clinic in case anything happens.

Get the house pet-proofed and bring home the food, toys, etc. before bringing the dog home so he'll be able to settle in. People would bring their brand new dogs into the PetSmart I worked at and the dogs looked like they didn't know what on earth was going on.
Thank you. ^^ I am getting one eventually and will acquire all this in time. I am going to school to be a dog trainer and behaviourist so I will be saving quite a bit of money for training.

Devoted Inquisitor

Which registry has Shiloh Shepherds? Do they show in conformation? Which other venues are they involved in? What kind of breeder are you looking at? Does the shepherd in the name mean they actually work sheep, or are they just pets?

I've never met one, and I'm very curious.

7,200 Points
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Friendly 100
i've met ONE shiloh shepherd in my life. it was at a pet expo many years ago... he was HUGE. like.. one of the biggest dogs i've ever seen. and so much fur! i was happy to see one (growing up looking through a dog book and seeing them in there..) especially since they aren't that common (might be now?).. anyways. they seem like cool dogs. i've never had one but that one i met was very laid back.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff