Welcome to Gaia! ::

Tipsy Sex Symbol

I'm looking for a dog breed that's going to be very, very smart, easily trained, has a managable coat, would be protective over it's master, and good around children.

Note: We can't have pit bulls where I live. And I'm not fond of toy breeds.
There's, to my experience, not really an "easily" trained dog, some are just lower maintenance training than others. But a dog is always going to be constant training in the sense you have to keep up with what you teach and never go back.

If you don't like "toy" breeds you need to also give us an idea of the size of dog you have in mind. Toys can mean just about anything that is small.

Really, you need to give us an idea of the time you have on your hands, your definition of a manageable coat, and the ages of the children.

Also; you want to be careful when you are considering a "protective" dog; as teaching this too harshly can lead your dog down a road you don't want him to go. Basically speaking, a dog that thinks there's an intruder for whatever reason, person gets bit, dog can be put down.

Tipsy Sex Symbol

Morphine Kiss
There's, to my experience, not really an "easily" trained dog, some are just lower maintenance training than others. But a dog is always going to be constant training in the sense you have to keep up with what you teach and never go back.

If you don't like "toy" breeds you need to also give us an idea of the size of dog you have in mind. Toys can mean just about anything that is small.

Really, you need to give us an idea of the time you have on your hands, your definition of a manageable coat, and the ages of the children.

Also; you want to be careful when you are considering a "protective" dog; as teaching this too harshly can lead your dog down a road you don't want him to go. Basically speaking, a dog that thinks there's an intruder for whatever reason, person gets bit, dog can be put down.

Heelers seem to be easily trained, and border collies. And I know that.
And I'm talking about the toy group. Basically just saying please don't suggest any dog in that group. Not size.
I don't have a size in mind.
I have a lot of time on my hands. My definition of a manageable coat would be the general one. Not a shih-tzu or a afghan hound, which have long fur that needs groomed frequently. I would like a dog that doesn't shed excessively, or have fur that needs groomed like twice a day.
And we have a baby now, but the dog won't be around her till she's older anyway.
And I'm talking about the breed naturally being protective. And if someone was on our property, intruding, then the dog has the right to bite them and not be put down. And I'm not talking about some kind of attack-on-sight thing. I know it's something to be careful with.

Lol. Now that I gave more information, any breed suggestions? xD;
Pembroke Welsh Corgi c:
Sheltland Sheep dogs (: , but their fur might be a problem ;S

Dangerous Lunatic

8,975 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Brandisher 100
Flowers in December
Morphine Kiss

And I'm talking about the toy group. Basically just saying please don't suggest any dog in that group. Not size.
I have a lot of time on my hands. My definition of a manageable coat would be the general one. Not a shih-tzu or a afghan hound, which have long fur that needs groomed frequently. I would like a dog that doesn't shed excessively, or have fur that needs groomed like twice a day.
And we have a baby now, but the dog won't be around her till she's older anyway.
And I'm talking about the breed naturally being protective. And if someone was on our property, intruding, then the dog has the right to bite them and not be put down. And I'm not talking about some kind of attack-on-sight thing. I know it's something to be careful with.

The toy group is one of the most varied groups out there... It ranges from dogs like Pomeranians and Chihuahuas to dogs like pugs and min pins. You're limiting yourself a lot by saying no to an entire group of dogs, especially if you don't have a size in mind...

How much time is a lot? You have a baby, so there's a lot of time that needs to go to there. How much time can you devote to the dog? How often will you be able to walk or run with the dog? How much experience do you have with training dogs? Yeah, heelers and border collies CAN be easy to train, but they also get bored easily and can become very destructive because of it. We really can't suggest dogs without knowing a lot more about your lifestyle.

Also, dogs do not have a "right" to bite someone on your property. If you want a guard dog you're going to have to train it very carefully, otherwise it might end up biting the UPS man when he comes to drop off a package or something.
I'm sorry, but you cannot have it two ways.

You cannot have a perfectly safe family dog that you also expect to maul strangers.

And quite frankly, the fact that you think an aggressive, HA dog is something worthy of having makes me very concerned for your ability to own any dog.

Tipsy Sex Symbol

1955_cadillac
I'm sorry, but you cannot have it two ways.

You cannot have a perfectly safe family dog that you also expect to maul strangers.

And quite frankly, the fact that you think an aggressive, HA dog is something worthy of having makes me very concerned for your ability to own any dog.

Did I say I expected it to maul strangers or to be aggressive?
Um, no. I didn't.
I said "protective over it's master".
What if we happened to be looking for a dog to protect my niece when she gets older or some s**t? Damn. >_>

Tipsy Sex Symbol

MlizGr
Flowers in December
Morphine Kiss

The toy group is one of the most varied groups out there... It ranges from dogs like Pomeranians and Chihuahuas to dogs like pugs and min pins. You're limiting yourself a lot by saying no to an entire group of dogs, especially if you don't have a size in mind...

How much time is a lot? You have a baby, so there's a lot of time that needs to go to there. How much time can you devote to the dog? How often will you be able to walk or run with the dog? How much experience do you have with training dogs? Yeah, heelers and border collies CAN be easy to train, but they also get bored easily and can become very destructive because of it. We really can't suggest dogs without knowing a lot more about your lifestyle.

Also, dogs do not have a "right" to bite someone on your property. If you want a guard dog you're going to have to train it very carefully, otherwise it might end up biting the UPS man when he comes to drop off a package or something.

Well, sorry, don't like toys. They're normally hyperactive and yappy. That's a preference of mine. My bad.
And the baby doesn't belong to me. It's my sister's. And I have plenty of time for a dog, or I wouldn't even be thinking of getting one. I have a LOT of experience with training dogs. I had a Golden Retriever from when he was a puppy to nine years old and trained him myself. I had a red heeler and trained her myself. These dogs were very, very well-behaved and wouldn't leave my side.
And in the state of Arkansas, a dog biting someone on your property is legal. As long as it isn't the UPS man like that. I didn't say I wanted the dog to attack people or attack on sight or ANYTHING like that. I said I wanted it to be protective. Just because I come on here saying I don't want a toy, and want a protective dog doesn't mean people should jump my a** saying I shouldn't being owning a dog or whatever that chick said. She doesn't know me. Damn. >_>;

Dangerous Lunatic

8,975 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Brandisher 100
Flowers in December
She doesn't know me. Damn. >_>;

That's exactly the point we have been trying to make. We do not know you. How should we know what kind of dog you should get? It's one thing if you were a regular here, or even if you were torn between a couple of breeds, but we don't even have any idea what you're looking for beyond you don't want a little yappy dog [And my Pomeranian/chihuahua is less yappy than my neighbor's lab...] and that you want it to be protective and easy to groom/train. That really isn't enough to work off of...

Tipsy Sex Symbol

MlizGr
Flowers in December
She doesn't know me. Damn. >_>;

That's exactly the point we have been trying to make. We do not know you. How should we know what kind of dog you should get? It's one thing if you were a regular here, or even if you were torn between a couple of breeds, but we don't even have any idea what you're looking for beyond you don't want a little yappy dog [And my Pomeranian/chihuahua is less yappy than my neighbor's lab...] and that you want it to be protective and easy to groom/train. That really isn't enough to work off of...

Doesn't seem like the point you guys have been trying to make.

I don't like smaller dogs, I'd like a medium to large sized dog.
I'd like a dog that has a history of being a smart breed.
That has a history of being good in family-enviroments, and is protective over it's master.
Our lab is protective over her owner, and gets along great with children.
It doesn't HAVE to be protective, it probably won't turn out like that if I'm it's owner anyway.
I'm tenderhearted, and my dogs usually tend to take that personality on too for some reason.
I live right beside a park, the dog can run and play and be exercised every day. The dog's mind would be occupied since I enjoy playing little games with my pets like Find The Toy or just learning basic tricks or even more advanced tricks.
My heeler knew how to walk on her hind legs with just hand commands, and I taught her that.
There are a lot of dogs that have manageable coats, I'm just not asking for a breed with extremely long fur you have to brush twice a day to be suggested.
We have one other dog, who gets along very well with other dogs. We have a big family, but we're all dog lovers.
I'd prefer a breed that has a tendency to bond to their owner stronger than they bond to other people.

Is that enough information?

Dangerous Lunatic

8,975 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Brandisher 100
Flowers in December

Doesn't seem like the point you guys have been trying to make.

I don't like smaller dogs, I'd like a medium to large sized dog.
I'd like a dog that has a history of being a smart breed.
That has a history of being good in family-enviroments, and is protective over it's master.
Our lab is protective over her owner, and gets along great with children.
It doesn't HAVE to be protective, it probably won't turn out like that if I'm it's owner anyway.
I'm tenderhearted, and my dogs usually tend to take that personality on too for some reason.
I live right beside a park, the dog can run and play and be exercised every day. The dog's mind would be occupied since I enjoy playing little games with my pets like Find The Toy or just learning basic tricks or even more advanced tricks.
My heeler knew how to walk on her hind legs with just hand commands, and I taught her that.
There are a lot of dogs that have manageable coats, I'm just not asking for a breed with extremely long fur you have to brush twice a day to be suggested.
We have one other dog, who gets along very well with other dogs. We have a big family, but we're all dog lovers.
I'd prefer a breed that has a tendency to bond to their owner stronger than they bond to other people.

Is that enough information?

Okay... Well, it still isn't enough, because I really still don't know you. See, if I was looking for a dog for myself that fits that list I might a Standard poodle. Keep it with a puppy cut and grooming will be minimal. You'd just have to take it in every month or two for a clipping. They're very intelligent animals, quite active, and generally want to please. Or maybe a Vizla, but really I'd only get one of those if I was VERY active. Not just play in the park next door, but go for runs and the like...

Really, what I would suggest is you spend some time at the local pound. Chances are the right dog will make itself clear to you, even if it doesn't exactly fit all these requirements. Hell, I always wanted a big, show quality dog, and I ended up with a 10 lb mutt. Wouldn't trade him for the world, and he's actually convinced me that toys can be great dogs if they're trained properly.

Smitten Admirer

6,200 Points
  • Love Machine 150
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
They aren't for everyone and (at least around here) have a bad reputation, but I prefer the Doberman Pinscher breed. When I was little our eldest dog used to attempt to babysit me, coming over to the neighbor's house to check on me every few hours. It was rather cute. Also very protective, but they can get pretty aggressive with improper training. (Then again so can any animal) I've had five, not counting the litters of pups that we didn't keep. I've never had a problem with them. We had an intruder once, one of the dogs pinned him, one of them woke the family. (The others stood by bearing their teeth and snarling)
Like any puppy, (or active dog) he/she would need a lot of attention.
As for children, all of my dogs loved babies. Very curious, but they never overstepped any boundaries.

Tipsy Sex Symbol

Thanks for all the help, guys. I think I'll check the local pounds and see if there's any heeler mixes or heelers there lined up on death row for me to save. >u<;;

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff