Welcome to Gaia! ::

Desi the fuzzy fluffhead
Henrika
[

Because it doesn't break away and on amazon people have posted pictures of their injured cats. Or even if it IS working, those cats look so drugged out of their minds that I don't think I could ever bring myself to do that to her.

As for treats, I really hate attempting to reliably get this cat to eat anything at all. Sometimes she will eat and other times she will just refuse. I was using pill pockets to give her treats but she stopped eating them.

I've used it on my cat when he was having anxiety and meowing all night long. Despite exercise and feeding right before bed. It was a temporary solution to a temporary situation. An episode. And I was able to get some sleep.

The collars aren't breakaway and they don't work for all cats.

I've seen cats wearing them all the time. They're not doped up, they haven't hurt themselves and if you're talking about euthanization it might be worth the risk of her possibility her hurting herself. Which I imagine low if you put it on proper.
She's already had panic attacks in her cage where she has caught her breakaway collar on the cage. I absolutely do not want to come home to a strangled cat.

I really don't think there are any more OTC remedies that would help her at this point, and I'm just relying on my vet at this point for any chance of keeping her. I left a long letter about her behaviour for my vet (I would have started crying if I hadn't written it down for her, and she was with a patient when I went in anyways.) and she thinks we should switch her to a much stronger medication, and will also give me more metacam and teach me to take a rough temperature reading at home as I told her I suspect she is having on and off fevers and isolating herself.

Obviously there is no guarantee, but there are some medical options the vet says we can try, and it might be a matter of finding the correct type of medication for her.

The tech I spoke to as well has said they've helped cats they thought for sure would have to be put down, but once they found the right medication have made drastic improvements to their lives. My vet really is awesome and it's a specialty cat-only clinic so they really know a lot about cats & behaviour and if they don't think we've exhausted our options yet I am going to keep trying. I think the biggest thing for me personally is to stop crying about it and to just remember that things are what they are and we don't have to decide just yet.

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200
Henrika
Desi the fuzzy fluffhead
Henrika
[

Because it doesn't break away and on amazon people have posted pictures of their injured cats. Or even if it IS working, those cats look so drugged out of their minds that I don't think I could ever bring myself to do that to her.

As for treats, I really hate attempting to reliably get this cat to eat anything at all. Sometimes she will eat and other times she will just refuse. I was using pill pockets to give her treats but she stopped eating them.

I've used it on my cat when he was having anxiety and meowing all night long. Despite exercise and feeding right before bed. It was a temporary solution to a temporary situation. An episode. And I was able to get some sleep.

I've seen cats wearing them all the time. They're not doped up, they haven't hurt themselves and if you're talking about euthanization it might be worth the risk of her possibility her hurting herself. Which I imagine low if you put it on proper.
She's already had panic attacks in her cage where she has caught her breakaway collar on the cage. I absolutely do not want to come home to a strangled cat.

I really don't think there are any more OTC remedies that would help her at this point, and I'm just relying on my vet at this point for any chance of keeping her. I left a long letter about her behaviour for my vet (I would have started crying if I hadn't written it down for her, and she was with a patient when I went in anyways.) and she thinks we should switch her to a much stronger medication, and will also give me more metacam and teach me to take a rough temperature reading at home as I told her I suspect she is having on and off fevers and isolating herself.

Obviously there is no guarantee, but there are some medical options the vet says we can try, and it might be a matter of finding the correct type of medication for her.

The tech I spoke to as well has said they've helped cats they thought for sure would have to be put down, but once they found the right medication have made drastic improvements to their lives. My vet really is awesome and it's a specialty cat-only clinic so they really know a lot about cats & behaviour and if they don't think we've exhausted our options yet I am going to keep trying. I think the biggest thing for me personally is to stop crying about it and to just remember that things are what they are and we don't have to decide just yet.

fingers crossed. i really hope the new treatments work for you both

gale isnt too fond of her cage either. she gets so bored even though i leave the door open so fluffers can be in the room with her and she has toys. im thinking of taking her to work with me sometimes so she can at least be in a different cage with different smells every once in a while.
Shanna66
Henrika
Desi the fuzzy fluffhead
Henrika
[

gale isnt too fond of her cage either. she gets so bored even though i leave the door open so fluffers can be in the room with her and she has toys. im thinking of taking her to work with me sometimes so she can at least be in a different cage with different smells every once in a while.
Is she re-learning to use her litter box? I've been curious how you've been doing with her. Has your vet recommended any behavioural medication?

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200
Henrika
Shanna66
Henrika
Desi the fuzzy fluffhead
Henrika
[

Is she re-learning to use her litter box? I've been curious how you've been doing with her. Has your vet recommended any behavioural medication?

Using the box was never an issue. She never stopped using it. She just sprays places reign hangs out which is usually my stuff

Vet said if we dont see any changes that I should come in to talk about kitty meds.

Yesterday though gale and reign were both on the couch and no one got hurt and I didnt get sprayed so I think we are making progress. She did pee on my side if the couch this morning though
Shanna66

Using the box was never an issue. She never stopped using it. She just sprays places reign hangs out which is usually my stuff

Vet said if we dont see any changes that I should come in to talk about kitty meds.

Yesterday though gale and reign were both on the couch and no one got hurt and I didnt get sprayed so I think we are making progress. She did pee on my side if the couch this morning though
I'm so sorry sad

I really think peeing and spraying is absolutely the worst possible thing a cat can do. I'll let you know how Jellybean does with prozac, and it your case its probably also worth trying - before Reign starts spraying too.

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200
Henrika
Shanna66

I'm so sorry sad

I really think peeing and spraying is absolutely the worst possible thing a cat can do. I'll let you know how Jellybean does with prozac, and it your case its probably also worth trying - before Reign starts spraying too.

Reign diesnt even care at all thank god

And please keep me uodated. Im so worried meds would mellow out gale too much and she wont be a fun active kitten amymore

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff