Welcome to Gaia! ::

Isn't 8 weeks the law? I would report this breeder. They are unethical. If they are on a website and have a drop down box that says 1 week they are a puppy mill. Report them. They already breaking the law. Go to a reputable breeder. You can find them by calling vet offices.

Precious Vegetarian

23,175 Points
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Marathon 300
I say do not bring a puppy home until 10 weeks.

Now how much research have you done on the breed? Do you understand all the genetic and health problems there can be with pugs?

Have you thought about how you are going to train the puppy, What you will be feeding the puppy, exercise and play time?

How often will the puppy have to be left alone for extended periods of time? What does your yard/ outside set up look like?

Are you ready for vet bills, shots, medication for worms, fleas and tick?

Is there any other animals in the house that could cause concern if you bring home a new puppy?

Once you have thought all this through, find an excellent breeder/ rescue.

Dapper Werewolf

VonVix
Fading Fantasma
Sup I'm a pug owner . I got mine form a rescue at 8 weeks any one selling puppies under 8 weeks of age just doesn't care about their dogs, they just want the cash as fast as possible.

Before i got my pug form a rescue I did look at breeders . The only website I fully approve is
http://www.pugs.org/
These people love the breed to their very core and try their best to improve the breed. Lets face it Pugs can come with some serious health issues. You wouldn't want to buy a puppy form some one who doesn't do health screens and genetic testing. You can get a puppy that dies at the age of 1 due to genetic heart failure etc .
These breeders also show their dogs in show rings and do other AKC activities with them.
Also any person who is willing to ship a flat faced breed to your door step is insane and doesn't care about the dog either.

I work with someone who bought a pug and it's seriously one of the most unhealthy dogs I've met compared to a pug belonging to another friend of mine in the same workplace. The difference between the two pugs is huge even though they are around the same age.

The pug's face is beyond flat, the muzzle pushes inwards into the pugs face. Secondly she is going to have to have surgery on her hips because they keep popping out and lastly she stops breathing when she sleeps, she basically has doggie sleep apnea and that's just what I've learnt in the two times I've met her. She is also very small/short compared to my other friend's healthy pug who doesn't have any of these problems. She is only 8 months old.

It really is critical to get a dog that is so prone to health issues from a breeder who is passionate about the breed and has a reputable background and knowledge when it comes to pugs (hell... this applies to anyone getting a dog from a breeder in general).

Additionally, I'd never buy a dog from someone who has to advertise they have X puppies available. Most reputable breeders will have a waiting list of people seeking puppies from them.

That's so sad, my pug is a puppy mill rescue and we have been blessed that she is in good health. She is on the smaller side but her face and hips are fine . When I do get another pug I will get one form a reputable breeder affiliated with the pug club of America

Sparkly Cat

12,300 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Unleash the Beast 100
  • Grunny Grabber 50
Fading Fantasma
VonVix
Fading Fantasma
Sup I'm a pug owner . I got mine form a rescue at 8 weeks any one selling puppies under 8 weeks of age just doesn't care about their dogs, they just want the cash as fast as possible.

Before i got my pug form a rescue I did look at breeders . The only website I fully approve is
These people love the breed to their very core and try their best to improve the breed. Lets face it Pugs can come with some serious health issues. You wouldn't want to buy a puppy form some one who doesn't do health screens and genetic testing. You can get a puppy that dies at the age of 1 due to genetic heart failure etc .
These breeders also show their dogs in show rings and do other AKC activities with them.
Also any person who is willing to ship a flat faced breed to your door step is insane and doesn't care about the dog either.

I work with someone who bought a pug and it's seriously one of the most unhealthy dogs I've met compared to a pug belonging to another friend of mine in the same workplace. The difference between the two pugs is huge even though they are around the same age.

The pug's face is beyond flat, the muzzle pushes inwards into the pugs face. Secondly she is going to have to have surgery on her hips because they keep popping out and lastly she stops breathing when she sleeps, she basically has doggie sleep apnea and that's just what I've learnt in the two times I've met her. She is also very small/short compared to my other friend's healthy pug who doesn't have any of these problems. She is only 8 months old.

It really is critical to get a dog that is so prone to health issues from a breeder who is passionate about the breed and has a reputable background and knowledge when it comes to pugs (hell... this applies to anyone getting a dog from a breeder in general).

Additionally, I'd never buy a dog from someone who has to advertise they have X puppies available. Most reputable breeders will have a waiting list of people seeking puppies from them.

That's so sad, my pug is a puppy mill rescue and we have been blessed that she is in good health. She is on the smaller side but her face and hips are fine . When I do get another pug I will get one form a reputable breeder affiliated with the pug club of America

That's great to hear. My friend paid a good bit of money for her pug too, at least 400 euros.

Even then, I'd double and triple check who I'm buying from lol. The guy I got my shelties from is very passionate about the breed (as well as rough collies) he has gotten his studs imported from another country in order to try and get the best health and temperament from his pups. I'm really lucky with my boys, they are both healthy and have such an intelligent and gentle nature.

Dapper Werewolf

VonVix
Fading Fantasma
VonVix
Fading Fantasma

That's great to hear. My friend paid a good bit of money for her pug too, at least 400 euros.

Even then, I'd double and triple check who I'm buying from lol. The guy I got my shelties from is very passionate about the breed (as well as rough collies) he has gotten his studs imported from another country in order to try and get the best health and temperament from his pups. I'm really lucky with my boys, they are both healthy and have such an intelligent and gentle nature.

Oh I know the breeder I choose will picked over with a fine toothed come.
If you would like to see my pug Almond joy she is the mascot to our little baking company.
https://www.facebook.com/KickenConfections

I think the real problem is that people think just because some owns and breeds dogs means they actually care about them. When is reality its just a sources of income for them . To them your puppy is no different then selling you a TV.

Fashionable Consumer

7,300 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Full closet 200
8 weeks is more recommended so that the puppy is properly weened and gets the essential amount of time needed to bond with the litter mates and learn how to socially interact with other dogs.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff