Welcome to Gaia! ::

8,000 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • First step to fame 200
She's a two year old GSD mix. She's always been more of a one person dog with an obvious attachment to ke as opposed to my husband.

I'm just looking for suggestions as to what I can do to make sure she stays relaxed through the change. I'm 22 weeks though and the past week the protective behavior has really surpassed normal.

She doesn't snap at anyone. Generally it isn't bothersome as I'm use to having her under foot, but she's reluctant to leavethe room I'm in anymore, especially if she's going outside amd I'm not. (She doesnt blatantly ignore us, thankfully. Its just obvious she doesn't want to follow the command and if I've been gone it can take twice, which is new with her.)

We've straightened up the schedule and have started to follow it to the letter to keep things steady. We've also made sure to use more commands to hopefully help with structure.

The other three couldn't care less and we did expect she would be the one more reactive to the change so read up on it. But, as stated, I want to make sure I do everything in my power to keep us both comfy and have always gotten good advice here.

Sparkly Cat

12,300 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Unleash the Beast 100
  • Grunny Grabber 50
I Further Deduce
She's a two year old GSD mix. She's always been more of a one person dog with an obvious attachment to ke as opposed to my husband.

I'm just looking for suggestions as to what I can do to make sure she stays relaxed through the change. I'm 22 weeks though and the past week the protective behavior has really surpassed normal.

She doesn't snap at anyone. Generally it isn't bothersome as I'm use to having her under foot, but she's reluctant to leavethe room I'm in anymore, especially if she's going outside amd I'm not. (She doesnt blatantly ignore us, thankfully. Its just obvious she doesn't want to follow the command and if I've been gone it can take twice, which is new with her.)

We've straightened up the schedule and have started to follow it to the letter to keep things steady. We've also made sure to use more commands to hopefully help with structure.

The other three couldn't care less and we did expect she would be the one more reactive to the change so read up on it. But, as stated, I want to make sure I do everything in my power to keep us both comfy and have always gotten good advice here.

Make sure you start making changes now that you'll naturally have to make when the baby is born. You'll need have your dogs accustomed to things such as a buggy or you holding a doll for example*, mimic the things you will do when the baby is here. Dogs sleep on your bed/in your room but they won't be able to once the baby is here? Start transferring them out now.

*try and enforce your dog(s) to give you space when you're holding a doll, encourage them to do something calm/relaxing such as playing with a Kong toy. Also expose them to things such as baby toys or baby clothes. It all counts.

Also, I would be reluctant to keep a schedule too strict if I'm thinking of the same thing you mean, can you give an example as to what kind of schedule you're holding with your dog?

8,000 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • First step to fame 200
VonVix
I Further Deduce

Make sure you start making changes now that you'll naturally have to make when the baby is born. You'll need have your dogs accustomed to things such as a buggy or you holding a doll for example*, mimic the things you will do when the baby is here. Dogs sleep on your bed/in your room but they won't be able to once the baby is here? Start transferring them out now.

*try and enforce your dog(s) to give you space when you're holding a doll, encourage them to do something calm/relaxing such as playing with a Kong toy. Also expose them to things such as baby toys or baby clothes. It all counts.

Also, I would be reluctant to keep a schedule too strict if I'm thinking of the same thing you mean, can you give an example as to what kind of schedule you're holding with your dog?

Feeding times and outside times mainly schedule wise (Outside is generally bathroom times while I'm on 'break' at work every two hours, plus the time they spend outside in the morning while it's cool and we're getting ready and after work when it's cooled down.) I work from home, so there isn't any change there. I say strict, but it's mainly trying to keep that structure up for them so we can have a constant. It's not exact every day, but it's close enough they expect it.
It's streamline enough that it shouldn't be too big of a problem to keep up even after the kid is here.

Doggy walks have been a team effort, but I need to walk as it is anyway. We've tried to adjust them to fewer of them slowly. I can't take two at a time any more.

We've had fun introducing them to new furniture. Luckily the crib, stroller, etc big stuff has been coming in one thing at a time. So that was a slow process but everythings been pretty well set up for a couple months there.
We've borrowed some various baby clothes throughout the week to sort of get them use to new smells coming from there.

We've also had my two year old niece over. While she's older, she's a little hellion. (For real, I have teeth marks in my leather couch...)
The dog in question wasn't too fond of her screaming at first, but has since gotten use to it. She doesn't play so much, but she's twice her size so I'm grateful for her being calm. The two pit bulls thinks she's the best thing ever and my schnauzer is old and couldn't care less either way.

In addition to that, we've been playing baby noises. Crying, cooing, the general things they do? It's only been a week of this. They've all been adjusting pretty well to it. She comes to inspect with me. If I start it and I'm not immediately around she'll cry and pace. That's been a concern.

When it comes to space, I do think that I really just need to make her spend some time in a separate room. Play with her bone in her crate or on her pillow in the living room.
She isn't crawling in my lap-pleasedon'tleaveever.
There's just an obvious difference. While a few weeks ago she was content leaving the room and laying on the couch a while under the fan, she'd now much rather lay beside my side of the bed. (They're only allowed up if invited.) Or if I'm laying on the couch she's underneath or beside it. If I leave the room, she follows.
As stated, my husband will call them to go outside after work and she'll stop in the doorway and pace back and forth before he calls her again and she finally goes out. (Once she's out there, she may stay by the door a moment but the other dogs/generally being outside will get her attention and she's off.)
Or there have been a couple occasions where I tell her to go to her crate and she'll pause as if trying to decide if she actually has to or if she can keep laying at my feet.

I can't see inside of her head, so I'm not sure what's going through her mind. I just know she's been a little clingy and I want to make sure I'm doing everything I can to n** it in the bud.

I've been really proud of all four of them. The adjustments have been obvious but they've taken them in stride with few hang ups. One thing at a time, really. It's going to be hectic when the baby does get here - nothing is going to change that. I don't think there is a such thing as over preparing, but I'm not going to kid myself into thinking everything is going to be perfect when I first walk through the door.

I've asked family to leave us alone for a while to get use to everything. We aren't use to having people knock on the door or generally come over uninvited. Any visits are planned ahead of time since I get anxious (and generally just don't like them.) I don't want it to start now.

My sister (who the dogs are very use to living with as she's in and out of my house all the time.) is staying with us for a week or two to help with them and the baby. So she's been here as well, especially since she's going to be the one staying here while I'm in the hospital.

Sparkly Cat

12,300 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Unleash the Beast 100
  • Grunny Grabber 50
I Further Deduce
VonVix
I Further Deduce

Feeding times and outside times mainly schedule wise (Outside is generally bathroom times while I'm on 'break' at work every two hours, plus the time they spend outside in the morning while it's cool and we're getting ready and after work when it's cooled down.) I work from home, so there isn't any change there. I say strict, but it's mainly trying to keep that structure up for them so we can have a constant. It's not exact every day, but it's close enough they expect it.
It's streamline enough that it shouldn't be too big of a problem to keep up even after the kid is here.

Doggy walks have been a team effort, but I need to walk as it is anyway. We've tried to adjust them to fewer of them slowly. I can't take two at a time any more.

We've had fun introducing them to new furniture. Luckily the crib, stroller, etc big stuff has been coming in one thing at a time. So that was a slow process but everythings been pretty well set up for a couple months there.
We've borrowed some various baby clothes throughout the week to sort of get them use to new smells coming from there.

We've also had my two year old niece over. While she's older, she's a little hellion. (For real, I have teeth marks in my leather couch...)
The dog in question wasn't too fond of her screaming at first, but has since gotten use to it. She doesn't play so much, but she's twice her size so I'm grateful for her being calm. The two pit bulls thinks she's the best thing ever and my schnauzer is old and couldn't care less either way.

In addition to that, we've been playing baby noises. Crying, cooing, the general things they do? It's only been a week of this. They've all been adjusting pretty well to it. She comes to inspect with me. If I start it and I'm not immediately around she'll cry and pace. That's been a concern.

When it comes to space, I do think that I really just need to make her spend some time in a separate room. Play with her bone in her crate or on her pillow in the living room.
She isn't crawling in my lap-pleasedon'tleaveever.
There's just an obvious difference. While a few weeks ago she was content leaving the room and laying on the couch a while under the fan, she'd now much rather lay beside my side of the bed. (They're only allowed up if invited.) Or if I'm laying on the couch she's underneath or beside it. If I leave the room, she follows.
As stated, my husband will call them to go outside after work and she'll stop in the doorway and pace back and forth before he calls her again and she finally goes out. (Once she's out there, she may stay by the door a moment but the other dogs/generally being outside will get her attention and she's off.)
Or there have been a couple occasions where I tell her to go to her crate and she'll pause as if trying to decide if she actually has to or if she can keep laying at my feet.

I can't see inside of her head, so I'm not sure what's going through her mind. I just know she's been a little clingy and I want to make sure I'm doing everything I can to n** it in the bud.

I've been really proud of all four of them. The adjustments have been obvious but they've taken them in stride with few hang ups. One thing at a time, really. It's going to be hectic when the baby does get here - nothing is going to change that. I don't think there is a such thing as over preparing, but I'm not going to kid myself into thinking everything is going to be perfect when I first walk through the door.

I've asked family to leave us alone for a while to get use to everything. We aren't use to having people knock on the door or generally come over uninvited. Any visits are planned ahead of time since I get anxious (and generally just don't like them.) I don't want it to start now.

My sister (who the dogs are very use to living with as she's in and out of my house all the time.) is staying with us for a week or two to help with them and the baby. So she's been here as well, especially since she's going to be the one staying here while I'm in the hospital.

I think you're doing great. You're doing what I would suggest and more. Best of luck with the pregnancy, I think it's all going to work out well.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff