Welcome to Gaia! ::

Savage Destiny
Henrika
It's fine if you're one of those people who are against ethical breeders and only support shelters of random bred mutts and moggies, but no hypocrisy then please on demanding someone shell out $$$$ for those same ethical breeders you despise, MMkay?

I fully support ethical breeders.

People who dump animals as soon as they can't make money off them so they can bring in animals they CAN make money off of are not ethical breeders.

You may be misunderstanding what "ethical" means.
so your idea of an ethical breeder is a hoarder? Right.

I don't think you understand how breeding programs work.
Shanna66
So just curious and not trying to start an argument. What about animals that are returned to the breeder and have health issues? isnt it ok to sell those but at a lower price?

I assumed thats what the cat was, not a failed breeder. I did skim though so maybe I missed something?
its not clear if the cat was returned for placement, or purchased from another breeder or a product of the breeder in question.

Savage just doesn't understand the concept of petting out retired breeders and that's why the disagreement.

Bloodthirsty Carnivore

27,550 Points
  • Hunter 50
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Vicious Spirit 250
Be prepared for kitty baths every week and kitty sweaters ( emotion_kirakira kitty sweaters~). They're great cats, very inquisitive and energetic. Let's hope you luck out and she likes getting baths. And watch out for acne (they're more prone to it due to their 'hairless' nature). And make sure you have lots of vertical surfaces for her to climb! Sphynx cats are climbers and jumpers. Seriously, think about installing cat shelves up high for them to circumvent the room and survey all from. AND SHOW PICS THE MINUTE YOU CAN! They're such cute widdle kitty alien babus. heart

Eloquent Gawker

Henrika
Savage Destiny
Henrika
It's fine if you're one of those people who are against ethical breeders and only support shelters of random bred mutts and moggies, but no hypocrisy then please on demanding someone shell out $$$$ for those same ethical breeders you despise, MMkay?

People who dump animals as soon as they can't make money off them so they can bring in animals they CAN make money off of are not ethical breeders.

My grandmother in law showed and bred Exotic Shorthairs for many years. She somehow managed it without pawning off retired cats so she could get a new money machine cat, and she was most definitely not a hoarder. Her house was clean, orderly, and all of her cats were excellently cared for.

But according to you that's impossible. rolleyes I'm done talking about this with you. You just want to make excuses for people literally dumping animals in order to make more money. That's gross.
Savage Destiny
Henrika
Savage Destiny
Henrika

My grandmother in law showed and bred Exotic Shorthairs for many years. She somehow managed it without pawning off retired cats so she could get a new money machine cat, and she was most definitely not a hoarder. Her house was clean, orderly, and all of her cats were excellently cared for.

But according to you that's impossible. rolleyes I'm done talking about this with you. You just want to make excuses for people literally dumping animals in order to make more money. That's gross.
now I know you didn't bother to read any of what I've written, or linked.

Often current viable breeding cats are replaced with younger cats if the kittens are better quality. Why would you continue breeding a lesser cat if your intention is to better the breed?

Or what if the chosen cat a absolutely hates being shown - would you prefer the cat be tortured by being carted around in stressful situations? No, you would rehome that cat into a pet situation and replace it.

You should definitely ask your grandmother in law what happened to her retired breeders, holdbacks, and show-neuters, because by the sound of things I don't think you actually know much about her program.

I also think you are way over-imagining the frequency that cats are retired - its usually only something like 1 cat per 2-5years. Breeders keep waitlists for their retired cats for this reason, same as they would before planning a litter.
This cat was never bred, she realized what was wrong with her early on and spayed her. The woman's boyfriend was going to keep the cat but is having a hard time where he's at so they need to find it a good home that knows how to treat it.

Being a vet tech I'm more than qualified to take care of and treat this cat, I do get about 60% off all my vet bills but even if I didn't I have the money and am not worried about it.....
Henrika

Often current viable breeding cats are replaced with younger cats if the kittens are better quality. Why would you continue breeding a lesser cat if your intention is to better the breed?

Or what if the chosen cat a absolutely hates being shown - would you prefer the cat be tortured by being carted around in stressful situations? No, you would rehome that cat into a pet situation and replace it.

You should definitely ask your grandmother in law what happened to her retired breeders, holdbacks, and show-neuters, because by the sound of things I don't think you actually know much about her program.

I also think you are way over-imagining the frequency that cats are retired - its usually only something like 1 cat per 2-5years. Breeders keep waitlists for their retired cats for this reason, same as they would before planning a litter.
So breeders don't keep any pet cats? I'm also curious if the breeders would be alright with people purchasing one of their cats with the intention of breeding if it turns out to be a good cat and then re-homing once it has served its purpose?

I can view this topic from both sides. It does sound kind of callous to only keep useful animals around while rehoming the rest. I mean 4-5 years is a long time to live with an animal and then to just say, goodbye. Then again most of us also eat animals or buy food made with animals for our pets, so I can only judge so far when it comes to utilitarian style breeding.
Krissim Klaw
Henrika

So breeders don't keep any pet cats? I'm also curious if the breeders would be alright with people purchasing one of their cats with the intention of breeding if it turns out to be a good cat and then re-homing once it has served its purpose?

I can view this topic from both sides. It does sound kind of callous to only keep useful animals around while rehoming the rest. I mean 4-5 years is a long time to live with an animal and then to just say, goodbye. Then again most of us also eat animals or buy food made with animals for our pets, so I can only judge so far when it comes to utilitarian style breeding.
Of course they keep pets themselves! A specific savannah breeder & cat come to mind, I don't think she would ever rehome Galaxy no matter what. She was her first ever F1 Savannah they are extremely attached to each other. That cat is the entire reason she breeds savannahs. I'm fairly sure that Supernova & Star have long since been retired & rehomed, her new breeding Queen is named Kiera I think.

And a breeder would of course be fine with another breeder purchasing breeding rights, and then rehoming the cat as necessary. The specifics to this would include that A) The cat in question was intended for this purpose, and therefore sold unaltered with breeding rights and B) that the original breeder be contacted and have a say in who the cat is re-homed to.

When it comes to rehoming, there are many perfectly legitimate reasons as to why people can't keep their cats, and part of the sales contract to anyone - whether as a pet or breeder is that the cat must be returned to them for placement. The breeder that owns Galaxy & Kiera is adamant that no cat she produces will ever set foot in a shelter.

*Edit: Nevermind I have no idea who her current Queen is, Kiera was produced by her cattery but sold to another program.

Chatty Abductee

So cute!!!! :3

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas