Welcome to Gaia! ::

Kawaii Fatcat

7,250 Points
  • Trader 100
  • Generous 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100
I'm so heart broken. I had had them all for six months. I have four and the other three are perfectly fine and happy. I died my research and take care of them daily as someone who has hermits crabs or any other pet should.

My girlfriend is at a birthday party and I'd just like someone to talk to... I'm actually crying... I already miss her so much...
This might sound strange, but are you absolutely sure the hermit crab is dead and not molting? I'm not sure how experienced you are with them, but molting hermit crabs can look eerily similar to deceased ones, especially if it is one of your first times seeing a molting one up close.

Kawaii Fatcat

7,250 Points
  • Trader 100
  • Generous 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100
Krissim Klaw
This might sound strange, but are you absolutely sure the hermit crab is dead and not molting? I'm not sure how experienced you are with them, but molting hermit crabs can look eerily similar to deceased ones, especially if it is one of your first times seeing a molting one up close.

Yes I'm aware of that. However I know that a key indicator of when they're dead is the fact that they give off a strong fishy smell.

At first I thought she was molting so I did all the right things.

Put her in her own separate tank with a good six inches of sand all around. Gave her plenty of fresh food and water on a daily basis. Sprayed down her own tank three times a day and put in separate shells for her. I also know that they need complete darkness while molting.

This has been going on for about a month until that strong fishy smell practically filling my entire closet which I figured was the best dark place to set her at.
Yes, the fishy smell is usually the best way to be sure. I'm so sorry for your loss. It sounds like you did everything right, but sometimes even with all that they still pass. Hermit crabs can be such delicate creatures.

Kawaii Fatcat

7,250 Points
  • Trader 100
  • Generous 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100
Krissim Klaw
Yes, the fishy smell is usually the best way to be sure. I'm so sorry for your loss. It sounds like you did everything right, but sometimes even with all that they still pass. Hermit crabs can be such delicate creatures.

Thank you. I'm so heart broken and even though I thought I did all of the right things, I feel so bad and so careless.

I thought it was strange that she didn't dig down into the sand but then I read that it's not all that unusual for them to surface molt either.

Before I put her into her own tank to molt I also noticed that she dropped a limb which is another thing that isn't unusual for them to do when they molt and that it's actually quite common for them to drop limbs.

Robotic Exhibitionist

I'm sorry for your loss. I got my first crabs just two weeks ago and I'm already pretty terrified of losing them during a molt.

Devoted Raider

8,550 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Partygoer 500
  • Friendly 100
Never heard of removing them into their own tank. I just alwasy heard to have their normal tank set up deep enough that they can dig down and molt when they need to, and to always have shells around for them when they decide they want a new one.

Sorry for your loss.

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200
Keyona
Never heard of removing them into their own tank. I just alwasy heard to have their normal tank set up deep enough that they can dig down and molt when they need to, and to always have shells around for them when they decide they want a new one.

Sorry for your loss.

Ive met lots of people who move them to an iso tank on crab forums. We still dont know much about them so there isnt really a 100% right way to do anything

So sorry for your loss. Sadly they are wild caught animals and tend to be very fragile. I lost all mine a few years ago due to a bad batch of crickets and it was heartbreaking

Devoted Raider

8,550 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Partygoer 500
  • Friendly 100
Shanna66
Keyona

Sorry for your loss.

Ive met lots of people who move them to an iso tank on crab forums. We still dont know much about them so there isnt really a 100% right way to do anything

So sorry for your loss. Sadly they are wild caught animals and tend to be very fragile. I lost all mine a few years ago due to a bad batch of crickets and it was heartbreaking

okay that is interesting.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces