Welcome to Gaia! ::

It's been a while since I've bothered posting in the forums, but I've always received helpful advice (with some sprinkles of negativity here and there), and this is something I'm very passionate about.

I'm looking for advice or really any helpful tips on how to convince my grandma to allow me to keep a "stray", and I use quotations because this is what she claims my kitty is. But she is not. Back in June/July, I was still staying with my boyfriend of four years in our apartment. We had 2 cats: A persian cat named Baby, and a stray we rescued a year prior named Mikasa. Mikasa ended up getting knocked up in one of her "lets dart out the door and see how long I can get Mom to chase me outside" phases, and thus, Pudge was born.
Here is the kicker. My grandmother believes that all strays are nasty, foul cats, who will give you diseases and will ultimately kill you. Don't get me wrong, stray cats can carry disease, and it was rather silly of me to take in Mikasa without a vet visit, but she is healthy to this day, and so is my previous cat, Baby, whom didn't get her shots but has always been an inside cat. My logic is, if Pudge, the cat I'm trying to keep, was sick, (or even Mikasa) wouldn't she have gotten Baby sick? Pudge was born inside, never let outside, and has been kept healthy and clean since her birth. I don't see her as a stray, even if she did come out of one lol.
My grandma's arguments have consisted of problems I can give solutions to

Example:

P: "I don't want to deal with the cat."
S: I take the cat into the basement (which is basically an apartment for me) and since my grandma never goes down there, she won't see her. I have separate litter and food trays for the cat, so neither will be an issue.

I have debunked nearly every reason she has given to disliking the cat, and yet she still refuses and that's why I'm turning to the forums. Has anyone ever dealt with something similar? Or does anyone have any ideas based on what they know? I'm grasping at straws here. Pudge is my baby, and she has been for 6 months, ever since she was born, she's not even fully-grown. I took care of her fine when I was living in an apartment. It's winter, and my grandma wants to throw her outside. I just can't let her do that. I've checked various shelters in my area and all require a drop-off fee of 50-100$, which is something I cannot afford. I'm trying to go through all my options before turning to the shelter idea, I've even asked friends to take her, and at this point, I'm just stumped, any feedback would be appreciated. sad

(Below are pics of Pudge, and me. She's too cute to give up on.)

User Image
User Image

Shy Dragon

24,065 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Invisibility 100
  • Megathread 100
oh she is so cute! is there any website or maybe a shelter you can take your grandma to to show her that strays are only dirty until someone loves them? i mean you should find plenty of evidence here, much less the rest of the internet. maybe if you have a friend who has a stray, introduce that cat to her then when she says she likes it and thinks shes clean, tell your grandma she s a stray. find a way to prove it to her.

hope this helps! good luck!

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces