Welcome to Gaia! ::

Liberal Gawker

6,250 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Forum Explorer 100
Once again my pink mohawked baby boy Tyler is sick.
A few weeks ago he had a bout of Pancreatitis.
Today he has had diahrrea and has puked about 8 times, mostly water right after he drinks it.
I called the ER vet and unfortunately the last time I went there I left with a nearly $800 vet bill and the people weren't the most helpful in the world. Thourough, yes. But when it came to helping me follow through, it seemed like they were more interested in getting the money from me than giving me some viable help.
I only make about $1000 a month, I'm poor. I have bills to pay and my folks thankfully help me with rent and some other small expenses that are out of my control(like that crazy vet bill).

I called to ask for help.
Honestly, I'm drunk and on sleeping pills about to go to bed and I just wanted advice. Their advice was to find a friend to drive me 40 minutes to the hospital so they can charge me $100 to look at him and most likely admit him again. No real advice, just scare tactice to try and get me to go in.

I know my dog. He was munching on grass earlier and sometimes that makes him sick. He's just sleeping now. He's not acting lethargic. In fact, he tried to attack four neighbors like usual. He's acting spunky and s**t man.

I don't even know.

I'm calling my vet in the morning to demand an appointment. I'm calling as soon as they open at 7:15.

Though I kinda hate my usual vet. They always give me the a*****e vet, so I made a huge stink about that to make sure I get the ethical vet there. Since the other vet charged me out of the a** last time for stuff he didn't tell me he was doing. And the time before that he laughed at my concerns about my dogs tumors and refused to listen to what I had to say and his past medical history.

I hate vets man.

Love my dog to death.

But s**t.
...What food are you feeding your pooch? It sounds like most of his issues are diet based..

Liberal Gawker

6,250 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Forum Explorer 100
He eats Natural Balance Alpha Dog Turkey, Chicken, and Duck Formula. It's grain free, has pre-biotics, and is the only dog food he's loved in years. The issue is that he keeps managing to get into the trash. And he just had a bout of pancreatitis that the vet said can now rear it's ugly head any time for no reason. All night he has been good. No vomit or anything to wake up to, so I think he got it all out of his system. But just to be safe I'm going to put him on the bland diet the ER vet had him on a few weeks ago. Boiled skinless chicken breast and rice. But I honestly think he probably got sick from getting into the trash. I had just thrown away some meat that had started to go bad and I think in the process he ate some plastic or foil or something. Ever since we got the apartment he has started acting like the 7 month old puppy we brought home back in 2002.

But I'm very particular about the dog food he eats. No Beneful, no Science Diet, no Kibbles N Bits, no Pedigree.

He used to be on Blue Buffalo, but there was that recall and right as that recall happened my two Pit Bulls got UTI's linked to the dog food. Such a mess. One of them took 8 months to beat it.

8,800 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Noob wrangler 100
  • Pie Hoarder by Proxy 150
for the trash thing start having a covered garbage with a lock of some sort on it so he can't get into it. It is something simple, my friend has poodles that love to get into the trash to eat what "mommy & daddy" had been eating, so they have it rubber banded into place.

Or when you throw food out take the garbage out that night.

Liberal Gawker

6,250 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Forum Explorer 100
Mistress of Rain
for the trash thing start having a covered garbage with a lock of some sort on it so he can't get into it. It is something simple, my friend has poodles that love to get into the trash to eat what "mommy & daddy" had been eating, so they have it rubber banded into place.

I actually do have a covered and locked trash can and I keep it in a corner to make it harder to try and knock over. I also take my trash out all of the time, especially when I'm cleaning up the fridge and pantry. Unfortunately this time I left my apartment for fifteen minutes to get the mail and he'd managed to knocked it over and rip it to shreds. Usually there's not even anything in there that he should want. Just cans, cups, plates, and empty boxes. He's just being a little rascall. He's just old and learned all of the tricks of the trade. I'm starting to put the trash can on the kitchen table whenever I leave.

He's at the vet now just to check up on him and do some blood work. This might not have anything to do with the trash, could just be some recurring pancreatitis. Unfortunately, when a dog gets that once they have an increased chance of getting it again, some dogs get the bouts on a monthly basis, or a yearly basis.

For the next few weeks I'm going to put him on a bland diet again, instead of his dog food. Boiled chicken and rice, he loves that s**t! Ate it all up this morning.

8,800 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Noob wrangler 100
warpedmind41
Mistress of Rain

I actually do have a covered and locked trash can and I keep it in a corner to make it harder to try and knock over. I also take my trash out all of the time, especially when I'm cleaning up the fridge and pantry. Unfortunately this time I left my apartment for fifteen minutes to get the mail and he'd managed to knocked it over and rip it to shreds. Usually there's not even anything in there that he should want. Just cans, cups, plates, and empty boxes. He's just being a little rascall. He's just old and learned all of the tricks of the trade. I'm starting to put the trash can on the kitchen table whenever I leave.

He's at the vet now just to check up on him and do some blood work. This might not have anything to do with the trash, could just be some recurring pancreatitis. Unfortunately, when a dog gets that once they have an increased chance of getting it again, some dogs get the bouts on a monthly basis, or a yearly basis.

For the next few weeks I'm going to put him on a bland diet again, instead of his dog food. Boiled chicken and rice, he loves that s**t! Ate it all up this morning.

well at least he likes it...it may be blan to you but OMG he gets to eat food that his human eats omg omg omg XD

hope he is alright. What type of dog is he and do you have pictures? I would love to see this little pink mowhawk dog... also how do you die is mow hawk? food die? Manic Panic?
Do you have a cupboard/closet you can keep the garbage in? If not, can you ban the dog from the kitchen (blockading the doorway if necessary so he can't go in when you're not supervising)?

Liberal Gawker

6,250 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Forum Explorer 100
I live
~ Aki - Fairy ~
Do you have a cupboard/closet you can keep the garbage in? If not, can you ban the dog from the kitchen (blockading the doorway if necessary so he can't go in when you're not supervising)?

With the way my apartment is set up, there's not a whole lot I can honestly do, especially about the trash can. Now when I leave I have to put a chair infront of it. The kitchen is tiny. The trashcan isn't even there, it's in the dining room corner. I live in a small apartment with not a lot of options. Might try a new trash can.

Liberal Gawker

6,250 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Forum Explorer 100
Mistress of Rain
warpedmind41
Mistress of Rain

well at least he likes it...it may be blan to you but OMG he gets to eat food that his human eats omg omg omg XD

hope he is alright. What type of dog is he and do you have pictures? I would love to see this little pink mowhawk dog... also how do you die is mow hawk? food die? Manic Panic?

Haha, bland diet is just what the vet calls it. He loves the stuff, chicken is one of his favorite foods so I always get chicken flavored dog food and what not.

Just talked to the vet though. They said they think he might have eaten plastic from the bag or something and might have a blockage, or he might just have gas and what not. She said he's acting fine and he's not showing signs of pancreatitis. But she said that his heart murmur just went up from a 1/6 to a possible 2/6, so to be safe I'm having her x-ray his heart so we can start a game plan for that. He's had a level 1 heart murmur for 4 years though, so I'm not worried.

And he's 10 years 1 month old, Dashchund mix, most likely with a schnauzer. I have pics but they're at home, I'm with my Pit Bulls at my parents house right now, I'll post a pic later. And the dye I get from work(I work at a mom and pop dog grooming and daycare place), it's just this pet safe dye we get from Pet Edge magazine. It wears out after a few baths. You just put it on a small patch of dry fur, or for a large area you do it in the tub when they're still wet and let it soak in for 15 minutes.

8,800 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Noob wrangler 100
warpedmind41
Mistress of Rain
warpedmind41
Mistress of Rain

Haha, bland diet is just what the vet calls it. He loves the stuff, chicken is one of his favorite foods so I always get chicken flavored dog food and what not.

Just talked to the vet though. They said they think he might have eaten plastic from the bag or something and might have a blockage, or he might just have gas and what not. She said he's acting fine and he's not showing signs of pancreatitis. But she said that his heart murmur just went up from a 1/6 to a possible 2/6, so to be safe I'm having her x-ray his heart so we can start a game plan for that. He's had a level 1 heart murmur for 4 years though, so I'm not worried.

And he's 10 years 1 month old, Dashchund mix, most likely with a schnauzer. I have pics but they're at home, I'm with my Pit Bulls at my parents house right now, I'll post a pic later. And the dye I get from work(I work at a mom and pop dog grooming and daycare place), it's just this pet safe dye we get from Pet Edge magazine. It wears out after a few baths. You just put it on a small patch of dry fur, or for a large area you do it in the tub when they're still wet and let it soak in for 15 minutes.

well with the xray is she going to maybe look a bit lower just to make sure he doesn't have a blackage.

really thinking on it if he was getting sick and things were coming back up after they went down it does kind of sound liek a blockage. Hopefully it isn't serious or it moved on its own.

Good luck again.

Liberal Gawker

6,250 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Forum Explorer 100
Mistress of Rain
warpedmind41
Mistress of Rain
warpedmind41
Mistress of Rain

well with the xray is she going to maybe look a bit lower just to make sure he doesn't have a blackage.

really thinking on it if he was getting sick and things were coming back up after they went down it does kind of sound liek a blockage. Hopefully it isn't serious or it moved on its own.

Good luck again.

He doesn't have a blockage, thank god. smile They said that whatever he got into probably passed through last night and was just making him feel like s**t. He's back at home with me again. But not after we went and bought him some new toys and he got to go on a 30 minute car ride in my lap with his head out the window. First thing he wanted to do when we got home was play tug of war and find the squeakers in his new toys.

The x-rays showed that his bowels and stomach and colon are all good. But his heart is a little bit enlarged due to the heart murmur. But the vet said she didn't recommend putting him on heart medicine just yet because when they checked his heart again he was back down to a scale rating of 1, so it might just be the stress that made it go up a little bit. But he's had the heart murmur for 4 years, it was undetected for about 3. So he's pretty good. biggrin He's just not allowed to have water for today, just ice cubes. And I can put him back on his dog food tomorrow but just giving him half of what he normally eats.

Liberal Gawker

6,250 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Forum Explorer 100
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
This is him after his ER stay about two weeks back, when we were dealing with his pancreatitis. He was still wearing his little bandage from the IV. He was adorable, even though he was all drugged out, haha. He's my baby. <3

8,800 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Noob wrangler 100
warpedmind41
This is him after his ER stay about two weeks back, when we were dealing with his pancreatitis. He was still wearing his little bandage from the IV. He was adorable, even though he was all drugged out, haha. He's my baby. <3

OMG he is a cutey!!!!!!

My kitty i'm going to punk out a bit with her acessories.... she is probalby going to kill me in my sleep in a year or two... I want to get her some punk clothes, and some a few awesome collars for her. (once she gets use to me.) She is a black cat... looks good with punk colors.

but i want to cuddle him.

Liberal Gawker

6,250 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Forum Explorer 100
Mistress of Rain
warpedmind41

OMG he is a cutey!!!!!!

My kitty i'm going to punk out a bit with her acessories.... she is probalby going to kill me in my sleep in a year or two... I want to get her some punk clothes, and some a few awesome collars for her. (once she gets use to me.) She is a black cat... looks good with punk colors.

but i want to cuddle him.

Haha, got watch out about animals in clothes. I've only met a handful of animals that actually enjoyed it. When I first got Tyler, I was like 11 and tried to dress him up for Christmas...he got out of that costume and ripped it to shrrreeedddsss. And he was so mad at me for about ten minutes. xD Then he got a treat and got over it, haha.

He's doing good now. They think he just probably got into some gross food in the trash and maybe ate some of the plastic from the trash bag. But he's all good now. When he finally got to eat today he gobbled that s**t down in two minutes, literally. No puking it back up. He's not two medicines now though. One for nausea and one for the diahrrea. Which I think he's okay with, it means I get to give him cheese, since it's the only way he'll take pills.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff