Welcome to Gaia! ::

Wheezing Werewolf

10,950 Points
  • Unfortunate Abductee 175
  • Inquisitor 200
  • Bidding War 100
so i play rough with my 7 year old rott. and what i do is i put my hand on the side of his mouth and he'll d try to grab my hand (not viciously) when he does get my hand he'll give what i call a love bit because it don't hurt but when i get my hand out he'll try to bite my hand and sometimes it hurts. idk if he's just playing or do me teasing him with my hand tick him off. lol he don't growl (well he does a low growl and wags his tail so idk if that's good or bad) I don't abuse him, or hit him, in fact i walk him every chance i get and feed him well. i just harmlessly play with him and he seems to love it but idk if me putting my hand on the side of his face annoying to him or he takes it as a playful gesture. i have a 4 year old cousin who does that but he doesn't bite or anything, just seems like when i do it is when he gets so hyper or angry(?) he bites me to a point it hurts.

Dangerous Lunatic

8,975 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Brandisher 100
Yes, your dog is playing, but with such a big breed that so many people are afraid of you really should train him not to behave this way. A good method is that every time he even takes your hand in his mouth you make a high pitched sound, kinda like a yelp, then turn away and end the play time. It's what puppies do with one another when the other has bit them too hard, and it will help teach your dog that biting with humans isn't allowed.
He's playing, but as you said he's getting too excited; when playtime gets to this point (or anywhere near it - you need to watch for signals that he's getting too riled up), you need to end it and have a cool-down period for about five minutes, where you send him to his bed/corner to lay down for a bit.

And I second teaching him to NEVER take a human body part into his mouth.

You'll also need to teach him to stay in his spot and not get involved when two (or more) humans are playing (rough) with screams and squeals.

Chatty Grabber

8,550 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Signature Look 250
With the help of kyoji
so i play rough with my 7 year old rott. and what i do is i put my hand on the side of his mouth and he'll d try to grab my hand (not viciously) when he does get my hand he'll give what i call a love bit because it don't hurt but when i get my hand out he'll try to bite my hand and sometimes it hurts. idk if he's just playing or do me teasing him with my hand tick him off. lol he don't growl (well he does a low growl and wags his tail so idk if that's good or bad) I don't abuse him, or hit him, in fact i walk him every chance i get and feed him well. i just harmlessly play with him and he seems to love it but idk if me putting my hand on the side of his face annoying to him or he takes it as a playful gesture. i have a 4 year old cousin who does that but he doesn't bite or anything, just seems like when i do it is when he gets so hyper or angry(?) he bites me to a point it hurts.

He's just playing. My dog does that too but she's small so it won't hurt to much. XD My dog growls and bites my hand XDDDDD She sounds evil but she really is just playing cause she'll want to play with toys too like that XDD
With the help of kyoji

I prefer teaching dogs to do inhibited bite rather than not biting at all. Of course, don't allow uninvited mouthing.

Anytime your dog is putting pressure or being anything but gentle, yelp and stop the play session until they calm down. If they have inhibited bite, chances are when something happens that does make them lash out (I read a story about a service dog getting his tail shut in a car door), they won't have as damaging a bite against people. (This service dog had never had inhibited bite training and bit the handler with multiple severe bites).
Encourage respectful play!

Wheezing Werewolf

10,950 Points
  • Unfortunate Abductee 175
  • Inquisitor 200
  • Bidding War 100
MlizGr
Yes, your dog is playing, but with such a big breed that so many people are afraid of you really should train him not to behave this way. A good method is that every time he even takes your hand in his mouth you make a high pitched sound, kinda like a yelp, then turn away and end the play time. It's what puppies do with one another when the other has bit them too hard, and it will help teach your dog that biting with humans isn't allowed.

but if i yelp would that make him think in his doggy brain that he's alpha?
It's a good idea to teach your dog "ouch" words, things that will allow them to understand that their behavior is NOT okay. I taught my kitten (in less than a month) two ouch words, and he fully responds to them. "Ow" and "ouch" are effective, but it's important to tell them,"No, don't bite," and send them to wherever they go when they're punished. Earlier is better, since it's easier to train younger animals, but you can still train older ones with simple punishments (that don't involve physical contact) and LOTS of praise and love. I've trained several cats to be perfectly trained, including litter training, no-claws training, ouch training, leash training, and fetch training. They were all very loyal and well-behaved. One in particular, Murphy, a large Himalayan- tabby mix, even had his tail pulled multiple times by a young child and never reacted to it. It was his first encounter with a child, too.

Devoted Inquisitor

With the help of kyoji
MlizGr

but if i yelp would that make him think in his doggy brain that he's alpha?

No. It will make him think in his doggy brain that he hurt you, and when you turn away, it will make him think that playtime is over. Eventually he will make the connection that biting too hard ends playtime, and he'll stop doing it.

The idea that dogs are trying to 'be the alpha' is outdated and wrong.

Invisible Friend

Hes playing. Strange enough, i do the same thing to my kitten and she would also "love bite' me bak. ^^ Wat i normally do is wait with my fingers in her mouth until she back up. If you try to pull your hand away, the pet will normally try to bite again but harder.

5,500 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Window Shopper 100
hes only playing with u animals just do that.
he is playing 3nodding

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces