Welcome to Gaia! ::

Tipsy Smoker

For the past, like, three weeks. So I've done it twice, lol.

But, like, her nails don't just clip off, they kinda smoosh and break apart like they're a bunch of little fibers (which they are, I suppose).
But I just wanted to know if it was normal and if it's hurting her at all, if you know.
Like, if having breaky nails hurts when she scratches or digs in the litter box, or if little bits of litter can get in there and cause infections or anything.

I'm sorry if the way I described it doesn't make any sense.

I used to have my mom-in-law's friend, who's a groomer, cut her nails, cos I don't want to take Chesa to the vet to have them clipped and have it cost $8 for a 30 second procedure. Especially if they try to like anesthesise her or something. :c

But yeah, she's super good about getting her nails clipped, and I only clip off the very, very tip, cos I'm scared of accidentally cutting the quick.

What else... Um, she's got a cat-anxiety problem cos her old mom was EVIL and locked her in a laundry room and forgot to feed her all the time. ;c

Okay. I think that's about all the information you guys would need. Let me know if you need to know anything else. c:

Dapper Explorer

I wouldn't be too worried about it. That happens with my cat sometimes and she's fine. If the splintering is really bad though I just take a nail file to her claws just like I would my own nails and file them down until they're smooth again.

Devoted Raider

8,550 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Partygoer 500
  • Friendly 100
What are you currently feeding her?

My cat has the same issue with her nails, and with upping to a grain free food it has gotten a bit better, but she still has some issues with her nails, when I get a chance and take her into the vet for her check up I'm going to see what else I can give her to help her nail health.

It can be some what painful if litter gets pushed into the nails that are splintering, but shouldn't be an issue.

I just always pulled at the flaking bits to make sure they weren't splintering anymore and then let her go.

Tipsy Smoker

Adain-chan
I wouldn't be too worried about it. That happens with my cat sometimes and she's fine. If the splintering is really bad though I just take a nail file to her claws just like I would my own nails and file them down until they're smooth again.

Just like a regular emery board, or like a metal file? o:

Dapper Explorer

Decafff
Adain-chan

Just a regular emery board.

Tipsy Smoker

Adain-chan
Decafff
Adain-chan

I'll try that when she calms back down again. You gotta get her while she's sleeping or relaxing or she thinks you're trying to play. D;
What a dork.

Thanks a lot. c:

Dapper Explorer

Decafff
Adain-chan
Decafff
Adain-chan

I'll try that when she calms back down again. You gotta get her while she's sleeping or relaxing or she thinks you're trying to play. D;
What a dork.

Thanks a lot. c:
No problem and my cat is the same way. She doesn't like to sit still for having her claws trimmed.

Tipsy Smoker

Adain-chan
Decafff
Adain-chan
Decafff
Adain-chan

What a dork.

Thanks a lot. c:
No problem and my cat is the same way. She doesn't like to sit still for having her claws trimmed.
The first time she was super good. This time it was like I cut two claws every couple minutes, with her spazzing out in between each two. I'm glad I decided against doing her back feet. (Although I do need to check the length of them...)
Haha.
Anyways, thanks again. c:

Devoted Raider

8,550 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Partygoer 500
  • Friendly 100
Decafff

But, like, her nails don't just clip off, they kinda smoosh and break apart like they're a bunch of little fibers (which they are, I suppose).
But I just wanted to know if it was normal and if it's hurting her at all, if you know.
Like, if having breaky nails hurts when she scratches or digs in the litter box, or if little bits of litter can get in there and cause infections or anything.

I used to have my mom-in-law's friend, who's a groomer, cut her nails, cos I don't want to take Chesa to the vet to have them clipped and have it cost $8 for a 30 second procedure. Especially if they try to like anesthesise her or something. :c

But yeah, she's super good about getting her nails clipped, and I only clip off the very, very tip, cos I'm scared of accidentally cutting the quick.

What else... Um, she's got a cat-anxiety problem cos her old mom was EVIL and locked her in a laundry room and forgot to feed her all the time. ;c

Okay. I think that's about all the information you guys would need. Let me know if you need to know anything else. c:

again what are you feeding her?

Dapper Explorer

Decafff
Adain-chan
Decafff
Adain-chan
Decafff
Adain-chan

What a dork.

Thanks a lot. c:
The first time she was super good. This time it was like I cut two claws every couple minutes, with her spazzing out in between each two. I'm glad I decided against doing her back feet. (Although I do need to check the length of them...)
Haha.
Anyways, thanks again. c:
No problem and no matter what my cat goes nuts when I even touch her back feet so I don't do them unless they're getting pretty long.
Keyona
Decafff

again what are you feeding her?

I as well would like to know this.

When the cats were eating grain laden garbage, their nails tended to splinter and break so easily. :< Now theres no splintering if they get them cut.

Could also be age, younger cats have more brittle nails it seems. Or you need a sharper pair of cutters.
Decafff
What are you feeding her? Like dandruff, flaky nails can indicate a problem with diet. While it may not bother her too much, she runs the risk of getting a split nail caught in the carpet/or something and ripping it badly.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff