Welcome to Gaia! ::

My fiancé bought a cat about a month ago. Although I’d much rather have a dog, I’m not opposed to cats. Honestly, Jackpot is an okay kitty. She’s a Maine Coon mix, that was fostered until we brought her home. She’s only about six months and is pretty frisky.

That’s where the problem begins. Jackpot likes to play, which usually leads to her biting. It started out she’d grab at us with her paws (which was cute at first) and nibbling on our fingers. But in the last couple of weeks, she’s been biting pretty hard. It’s gotten to the point where she’ll jump up on the couch and bite at our forearms (even if we’re not playing with her).

Do you guys know how to stop a cat from biting? My fiancé has a four year old son, who really loves his new kitty. I just need some advice on how to curb the biting, before her aggressive behavior starts to cause some bigger problems. I know we’ve only had the cat for a month, but we want to stop this before it gets out of hand.

Chatty Cat

12,000 Points
  • Cats vs Dogs 100
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Team Edward 100
I have a maine coon and I had to break her of this habbit. Dont lose hope! Its curable.

Its okay to play but you need to instigate when playtime is over. Is she starts playing too rough, be patient, dont say anything, and just walk away. If its one thing a cat hates, its being ignored. Also try diversionary techniques. If you dont want her to play with your hands, quickly swap out a toy for your hand. If you smack her, or tap her nose, shell learn to fear your hands and itll make socializing harder. Also invest (or make) in hands free toys like fishing poles with feathers, laser pointer and mice you can throw. This way you can play without getting scratched. As for the son, teach him early on how to behave around a cat. Certian body launguages, how to hold and pet him, and even teach him to play with hands free stuff. smile This all worked for me and it continues to work.

You can also trim their nails and provide scratching posts so they have something to claw to make their claws not so sharp. I love my maine coon with all my heart and they are very intelligent and will pick up quickly.

Chatty Cat

12,000 Points
  • Cats vs Dogs 100
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Team Edward 100
a peaceful revolt

My fiancé bought a cat about a month ago. Although I’d much rather have a dog, I’m not opposed to cats. Honestly, Jackpot is an okay kitty. She’s a Maine Coon mix, that was fostered until we brought her home. She’s only about six months and is pretty frisky.

That’s where the problem begins. Jackpot likes to play, which usually leads to her biting. It started out she’d grab at us with her paws (which was cute at first) and nibbling on our fingers. But in the last couple of weeks, she’s been biting pretty hard. It’s gotten to the point where she’ll jump up on the couch and bite at our forearms (even if we’re not playing with her).

Do you guys know how to stop a cat from biting? My fiancé has a four year old son, who really loves his new kitty. I just need some advice on how to curb the biting, before her aggressive behavior starts to cause some bigger problems. I know we’ve only had the cat for a month, but we want to stop this before it gets out of hand.

And dont give up. This is the most easiest behavioural problem to fix. Because she is a kitten, this is how she played with her brothers and sisters. They would hiss at each other to let them know when playtime was over. I dont suggest hissing at your cat, or yelling at it, because the cat will look at you funny and ask "What crawled up your butt and died?" Hands free toys are awesome.

Devoted Raider

8,550 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Partygoer 500
  • Friendly 100
Punkin Avis
a peaceful revolt

And dont give up. This is the most easiest behavioural problem to fix. Because she is a kitten, this is how she played with her brothers and sisters. They would hiss at each other to let them know when playtime was over. I dont suggest hissing at your cat, or yelling at it, because the cat will look at you funny and ask "What crawled up your butt and died?" Hands free toys are awesome.

yelping or saying "ow" (sharply like it really hurt) does work with cats as well, cause if she bites her siblings to hard other than walking away they would screach/yelp too.

My cat is old enough where I have broken the rule and do play with my hands, but most the time i have it hidden under a blanket, or I am grabing a toy to "attack" her with. If she catches my hand or arm at any time an dI say "ow" and pull my hand back, she stops and just kind of calms down until I grab for the toy again (we play keep away with hair ties at bed time...)

Chatty Cat

12,000 Points
  • Cats vs Dogs 100
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Team Edward 100
Keyona
Punkin Avis
a peaceful revolt

yelping or saying "ow" (sharply like it really hurt) does work with cats as well, cause if she bites her siblings to hard other than walking away they would screach/yelp too.

My cat is old enough where I have broken the rule and do play with my hands, but most the time i have it hidden under a blanket, or I am grabing a toy to "attack" her with. If she catches my hand or arm at any time an dI say "ow" and pull my hand back, she stops and just kind of calms down until I grab for the toy again (we play keep away with hair ties at bed time...)
Indeed. My girly is a foot attacker come bedtime. biggrin And its okay to let them play with your hands you just need to teach them gently. And bigger toys work wonders. I have a couple of TY Beanie Buddies (the giant beanie babys) and she drags em all over the place by their scruffs. Its roughly their size and they can attack without retribution. As for the son, I do suggest hands free toys. When your little, its no fun getting attacked by a cat.

I'm honestly not sure,
My cat has a tendency to bite me on the nose.
:c

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces