Welcome to Gaia! ::

Devoted Inquisitor

Satans Bloody Valentine
Latrans
Satans Bloody Valentine
With the prong I tap it back to correct his pulling but I don't do it much he's always beside me but sometimes goes ahead of me. And that's why I was asking questions people say the gentle lead stops pulling and I was wanting to know the correct use of it because he is still pulling on the gentle lead unless I tap it to the side

Also I'd like to state I was recently evicted ( so to speak) from my home and didn't have time to get all of my things for my dog, all I had was the prong collar and the owner of the house refuses to give my stuff back, but that's okay. We're pursuing to get our stuff back by court

It is safer to give corrections (those little taps) on a prong than on a gentle leader; the gentle leader will jerk the head, which is connected to the neck, and that's a pretty delicate area.

I'll be honest--I've never seen a pet person using a choke chain correctly, ever. That's why I was asking; the only people I've seen who didn't put them on and then let the dog strangle themselves by pulling were obedience people. You are not meant to let the dog self correct on a choke chain; it's very dangerous. They're for GIVING corrections (collar pops) which are meant to hurt the dog to teach them not to do stuff.

Honestly, all three tools work on the principle of 'pull and you'll regret it' which isn't really my bag, but most people choose that route. I find if hard to believe that the gentle leader is truly gentle on dogs, given how much they fuss with it, but it's not, I suppose, a bad idea; I just really wouldn't use it by itself.

Have you been pairing the corrections with anything else? Have you been using any other methods to teach leash behaviors?
I have been looking at clicker training for walks but I still don't have a proper collar, but if I don't pull it won't hurt. I'd like to know what you use, anything is better than than what I have now. I need to take my dog out more on walks but the neighbors have dogs on the loose all the time, pit bulls, a little dog that looks like a miniature German Shepard, and a couple of other breeds and when my dog sees them he stops, tries to go towards the dogs and I have to correct with the prong collar, but again I'm not too fond of the prong collar, and today I use the gentle lead and it was worthless when he sees a dog. The pit kept walking up to us and growling, I was going inside and the lead was ugh.

Our dogs are walked on flat collars (rolled leather) or harnesses. I use clicker training to train the behaviors I want; they don't pull any more. :] That's the goal of training--to not have to use corrections or treats at all.

Demonic Ladykiller

12,550 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Contributor 150
  • Bunny Spotter 50
Latrans
Satans Bloody Valentine
Latrans
Satans Bloody Valentine
With the prong I tap it back to correct his pulling but I don't do it much he's always beside me but sometimes goes ahead of me. And that's why I was asking questions people say the gentle lead stops pulling and I was wanting to know the correct use of it because he is still pulling on the gentle lead unless I tap it to the side

Also I'd like to state I was recently evicted ( so to speak) from my home and didn't have time to get all of my things for my dog, all I had was the prong collar and the owner of the house refuses to give my stuff back, but that's okay. We're pursuing to get our stuff back by court

It is safer to give corrections (those little taps) on a prong than on a gentle leader; the gentle leader will jerk the head, which is connected to the neck, and that's a pretty delicate area.

I'll be honest--I've never seen a pet person using a choke chain correctly, ever. That's why I was asking; the only people I've seen who didn't put them on and then let the dog strangle themselves by pulling were obedience people. You are not meant to let the dog self correct on a choke chain; it's very dangerous. They're for GIVING corrections (collar pops) which are meant to hurt the dog to teach them not to do stuff.

Honestly, all three tools work on the principle of 'pull and you'll regret it' which isn't really my bag, but most people choose that route. I find if hard to believe that the gentle leader is truly gentle on dogs, given how much they fuss with it, but it's not, I suppose, a bad idea; I just really wouldn't use it by itself.

Have you been pairing the corrections with anything else? Have you been using any other methods to teach leash behaviors?
I have been looking at clicker training for walks but I still don't have a proper collar, but if I don't pull it won't hurt. I'd like to know what you use, anything is better than than what I have now. I need to take my dog out more on walks but the neighbors have dogs on the loose all the time, pit bulls, a little dog that looks like a miniature German Shepard, and a couple of other breeds and when my dog sees them he stops, tries to go towards the dogs and I have to correct with the prong collar, but again I'm not too fond of the prong collar, and today I use the gentle lead and it was worthless when he sees a dog. The pit kept walking up to us and growling, I was going inside and the lead was ugh.

Our dogs are walked on flat collars (rolled leather) or harnesses. I use clicker training to train the behaviors I want; they don't pull any more. :] That's the goal of training--to not have to use corrections or treats at all.
AHhh I have 2 flat collars a spiked one and a blue cloth one, do you use clicker training when training for walks or just in general?

Devoted Inquisitor

Satans Bloody Valentine
Latrans
Satans Bloody Valentine
Latrans
Satans Bloody Valentine

AHhh I have 2 flat collars a spiked one and a blue cloth one, do you use clicker training when training for walks or just in general?

I used the clicker to train Elsie to walk on leash nicely, but other than a little bit of maintenance work once in a while, I don't really take the clicker with me on walks anymore. I use the clicker to train most of the stuff I want her to do. :] It's fast and easy!

Demonic Ladykiller

12,550 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Contributor 150
  • Bunny Spotter 50
Latrans
Satans Bloody Valentine
Latrans
Satans Bloody Valentine
Latrans
Satans Bloody Valentine

I used the clicker to train Elsie to walk on leash nicely, but other than a little bit of maintenance work once in a while, I don't really take the clicker with me on walks anymore. I use the clicker to train most of the stuff I want her to do. :] It's fast and easy!
Perfect I just recently found my clicker, now the issue is finding my cloth collar and use my leather spiked one for now, which works the same but I feel like the cloth would be better. Are there any good tutorials? I found some where this girl clicks when the dog follows her and stays by her side, but if you have any I'd like some distraction videos too. We have dogs all over the neighborhood loose, and my red flag is the neighbor says her 4 pit bulls fight each other constantly, I even saw the marks on the dogs face, now my dog being who he is, he's friendly and wants to meet the dog, but I want to avoid these dogs at all cost to avoid getting into a fight. If a dog bites my dog because the owner is not being responsible, that'll start a whole new fight all together.

Devoted Inquisitor

Satans Bloody Valentine
Latrans
Satans Bloody Valentine
Latrans
Satans Bloody Valentine

Perfect I just recently found my clicker, now the issue is finding my cloth collar and use my leather spiked one for now, which works the same but I feel like the cloth would be better. Are there any good tutorials? I found some where this girl clicks when the dog follows her and stays by her side, but if you have any I'd like some distraction videos too. We have dogs all over the neighborhood loose, and my red flag is the neighbor says her 4 pit bulls fight each other constantly, I even saw the marks on the dogs face, now my dog being who he is, he's friendly and wants to meet the dog, but I want to avoid these dogs at all cost to avoid getting into a fight. If a dog bites my dog because the owner is not being responsible, that'll start a whole new fight all together.

What material the collar is made of doesn't matter. smile

I like kikopup's llw videos; you shouldn't add distractions at first.

Demonic Ladykiller

12,550 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Contributor 150
  • Bunny Spotter 50
Latrans
Satans Bloody Valentine
Latrans
Satans Bloody Valentine
Latrans
Satans Bloody Valentine

What material the collar is made of doesn't matter. smile

I like kikopup's llw videos; you shouldn't add distractions at first.
Ah okay I saw the video. Just wish I had a bigger space to work in, I'm in a very tiny house right now :c

Tipsy Prophet

15,625 Points
  • Conquerer of Familiars 350
  • Budding Witch 250
  • Ghost Hunter 250
My sisters dog used to pull a lot, and lunge at rabbits. But she walks fantastic on a harness now, and it keeps the pressure and stress off her neck.

If prong collars are used properly there should be no pain. If there's pain, then you're not using the collar properly. They can help with pulling, though it's usually bigger, usually more muscular dogs who wear the prong collars. If they lunge though, prong collars aren't the best idea, as they can do a fair amount of damage to the neck and trachea. I've never liked choke chains, I find they don't always loosen which ends of choking the dog regardless.

Have you tried a martingale collar? They're usually fairly wide. I've head of a number of people using them for dogs that pull.

Devoted Inquisitor

Fallen-Pottery-Angel

If prong collars are used properly there should be no pain.

Pain is literally the entire point of the prong collar.

Eloquent Gawker

Fallen-Pottery-Angel
My sisters dog used to pull a lot, and lunge at rabbits. But she walks fantastic on a harness now, and it keeps the pressure and stress off her neck.

If prong collars are used properly there should be no pain. If there's pain, then you're not using the collar properly. They can help with pulling, though it's usually bigger, usually more muscular dogs who wear the prong collars. If they lunge though, prong collars aren't the best idea, as they can do a fair amount of damage to the neck and trachea. I've never liked choke chains, I find they don't always loosen which ends of choking the dog regardless.

Have you tried a martingale collar? They're usually fairly wide. I've head of a number of people using them for dogs that pull.

I don't mind prongs and have used them before, but you're wrong. The whole way prongs work is through making it unpleasant to pull. You're even stating that if the dog lunges they can hurt themselves, yet somehow prongs don't cause pain? Right. lol

Tipsy Prophet

15,625 Points
  • Budding Witch 250
  • Ghost Hunter 250
Latrans
Fallen-Pottery-Angel

My mistake. I meant that they shouldn't be used to the point where they cause injury. After going through my behavior note from school, prong collars cause an uncomfortable pressure, which in most cases should stop the dog from pulling. Generally though they get used for correction. One short quick tug, on the leash is usually enough. A friends pit mix had to be put on a prong collar because she pulled so much, to the point where she broke regular collars. She did well with a prong.

Devoted Inquisitor

Fallen-Pottery-Angel
Latrans
Fallen-Pottery-Angel

My mistake. I meant that they shouldn't be used to the point where they cause injury. After going through my behavior note from school, prong collars cause an uncomfortable pressure, which in most cases should stop the dog from pulling. Generally though they get used for correction. One short quick tug, on the leash is usually enough. A friends pit mix had to be put on a prong collar because she pulled so much, to the point where she broke regular collars. She did well with a prong.

Yeah. I still think it's a crappy way to train a dog but, lol, the pain is what makes it work.

What class did you take on them?

Tipsy Prophet

15,625 Points
  • Budding Witch 250
  • Ghost Hunter 250
Latrans
Fallen-Pottery-Angel
Latrans
Fallen-Pottery-Angel

Yeah. I still think it's a crappy way to train a dog but, lol, the pain is what makes it work.

What class did you take on them?

It wasn't so much a specific class. But while I was doing the vet assistant program, we had a behaviour class. In one of them we went over different types of collars, how they worked, whether or not they should be used. It was during the time we were going through training methods. There we a lot of mix reactions about prong collars because like 90% of people who use them, don't know how to properly fit and use them.

Devoted Inquisitor

Fallen-Pottery-Angel

It wasn't so much a specific class. But while I was doing the vet assistant program, we had a behaviour class. In one of them we went over different types of collars, how they worked, whether or not they should be used. It was during the time we were going through training methods. There we a lot of mix reactions about prong collars because like 90% of people who use them, don't know how to properly fit and use them.

Yeah; even used properly I don't like them.

That's really interesting though, I didn't know vet assistants had behavior training!

Tipsy Prophet

15,625 Points
  • Budding Witch 250
  • Ghost Hunter 250
Latrans
Fallen-Pottery-Angel

Yeah; even used properly I don't like them.

That's really interesting though, I didn't know vet assistants had behavior training!

I'm a little on the fence about them

Haha yup. I'm not sure if it's all colleges that do it, or just the one I went to. It was actually really interesting, and with the prof we had, we learned a lot too. We've even done live surgery labs. Those were cool, but also stressful depending on what role you had.

Devoted Inquisitor

Fallen-Pottery-Angel

Haha yup. I'm not sure if it's all colleges that do it, or just the one I went to. It was actually really interesting, and with the prof we had, we learned a lot too. We've even done live surgery labs. Those were cool, but also stressful depending on what role you had.

Did you assist in survival surgeries there? I was supposed to take a surgery course for my bio MS this quarter but it got canceled. emo

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff