Welcome to Gaia! ::

Greedy Giver

WHOOT! yeah no, not woot...

My female is in heat for the first time, naturally we don't want her having puppies right now! Too young to breed.
(technically, she's not really my dog, I don't pay her vet bills, its not up to me whether she gets fixed or she get's bred, but she's still as much a part of my pack as the other two and as of tonight, I'm going to be the only one here with these dogs for the next couple weeks, which is typical of my responsibilities. The male is mine though, well, mine and my husband's.)

My male is territorial, not in an aggressive sense, its more of a dominance-thing. She's ten months, he's about fourteen months. I'd like to get my male fixed, but I never planed to until he at least became full grown, but now my hubbs is not wanting to get him fixed and would like to stud him out.. the possibility of these two having a litter down the road is still up in the air. But all that down-the-road business doesn't really apply to me, right now, with these two un-fixed dogs both living together in my home.

When I was a kid we had a b***h that went into heat once before we got her fixed, I was still too young to have any responsibility over that, but thats the extent of my experience of bitches in heat/ dog breeding/ not dog breeding.
I don't really know what I'm supposed to do with this situation.....

She started bleeding on the fourth, I had picked up two packs of diapers for this eventuality but they're gone now, don't really have money to get more. So, first Q: practical and frugal ways to diaper a dog without diapers/spending any money? So far I've tied an old tee-shirt around her with a hole cut in the middle for her tail and that seems to work allright... of course, the male can still get it off if I were to leave him unattended with her for more than 30 seconds, but I don't see any way around that short of getting her a men-in-tights style chastity belt lol

I think I read something about them being in heat/able to breed for like 3 weeks from the time they first start to bleed? second Q: how long can I expect her to be breed-able for?

My male basically sits around the house and whines/drools non-stop, and he hasn't eaten or drank as much as normal in the last few days so thats got me a bit worried. He just follows her around and tries to mount her and whines all the time. I wish I knew someone who could take him for a few weeks, but I don't have anyone I can ask to do that. I do have an outdoor kennel, but its getting colder and they're short-hair dogs so I won't have him out there for too long. They're still capable of settling down and laying next to each other like usual (they've always been very attached, ever since we brought the b***h home) I just can't leave them unattended at all. Its going to make it hard when I need to go grocery shopping... I've only got one kennel, as far as I know all the other male dogs running around the neighborhood are fixed, but I wouldn't be surprised if I left the b***h in the kennel while taking the boy with me and come home to find her a** pushed up against the cage being mounted by some dog that's traveled a few miles to impregnate her sad
I can't go anywhere with one of the two in the house because they both get separation anxiety and would tear apart everything.

idk what I'm supposed to do here...
helps, advise, pls, if not, prayers would be accepted!

also, I know this type of situation sometimes leads to a dog getting aggressive, thus far, neither of them have shown any increase in aggression whatsoever. Despite the pit bull's reputation rolleyes they're still as sweet and gentle and cuddly as ever. In fact, the only one thats shown any aggressiveness is my alpha-b***h, who isn't a b***h because she was fixed when she was a pup, and she didn't take too kindly to being mounted. I'm not concerned with her hurting my male though, even if she did happen to draw blood (which hes the only animal she's ever done that too and that was one time when we brought this puppy home and he didn't know what to do and was playing too rough with it and the alpha-b***h went into mommy-mode) she's not going to attack him so hard that he'll need stitches or anything ridiculous like that and he's a tough boy, he can take it whatever telling-off he might get from that one and he hasn't ever and probably will never hurt her, either.
I wouldn't have them together, personally. Breeding a b***h can happen pretty dang fast and she's way to young to be having a litter. I'd get him out of the house as much as possible and shut her up somewhere like a bathroom or bedroom.

3 weeks is average.
Well the first and foremost thing is - Never leave the dogs alone. A tie happens very, very quickly and once a tie happens, the dog is going to be bred, no matter what you do.

For my breeding females that are in heat I use re-usable diapers that I can put in the washing machine. They cost about $30.00 each though, so I don't know if you have the funds to do that. If not, then buying some men's boxer briefs that has the spandex on the legs work and a normal human period pad. But of course, if she is wearing anything she needs to be watched at all times.

The average length of a female's heat is 3 weeks, but it can last up to 41 days, depending on the dog. Here is the average heat cycle.

First stage - Female has bloody discharge, vulva is swollen and males are attracted to her, but she is unwilling to mate. Lasts an average of 7 to 10 days.

Middle stage - Pink to clear discharge, vulva is swollen and males will are attracted to her. She is ready to mate and will present herself to a male if possible. Lasts an average of 4 to 10 days.

Last stage - Female's vulva will start to shrink, and she will no longer have discharge. She will still be giving off the 'heat' scent, but she will be unwilling to mate. Lasts an average of 7-10 days.

When I say "presenting", it means the female will pull her tail to the side and present herself to a male dog. She is ready to mate and this is the hardest time to have a male in the house, intact or not. Although your male may not show any signs of aggression, he may become possessive of the female dog in the home during this time. They should be separated, even if you are watching them. I have been breeding for several years and I have seen males jump through glass windows, chew through doors and even destroy crates to get to a female in heat. Of course, those are rare cases, but they can still happen.

Your male will be on/off his food and water now until she is done her heat. This is very normal, but it can be worrisome to the owner. You must watch your male and make sure he has enough food and water in his system. If you have too, get a syringe (no needle) and mix some wet food and water together and put it down his throat. But that is only if your male stops eating/drinking all together.

Of course, the best thing to do in this situation is to have someone else take care of your male dog. But since that can not happen, you need to be very, very diligent. You can not assume they are not doing anything when you go to the bathroom, or to the kitchen to get something to drink. You must take the female with you everywhere unless you have a secure place for her to be. If you have a crate, then she can go in there, but please note that a male dog can still mate with her through the bars if it is a wire crate. If you plan on putting her in the kennel outdoors, please note that males have been known to travel more then a couple miles to get to a female that's in heat.

If you have to leave the house, please take one of them with you if you can. Separation anxiety aside, you can give them something to chew on if you need too to keep them occupied while you are gone.

**Note: The next sentence is not because I am a breeder and not because I have anything against mixed breeds or anything like that. I work with local rescues/shelters and have owned rescue/shelter dogs in the past.**

Unless you dogs are registered and have completed a title in something such as conformation, obedience, sport or work, please get your dogs spayed and neutered. Please do not breed your two dogs just because they are cute and you think their puppies would be cute. That is breeding for all the wrong reasons. I understand that the female is not your responsibility, but your male is.

Greedy Giver

11 Cardinal 11
I wouldn't have them together, personally. Breeding a b***h can happen pretty dang fast and she's way to young to be having a litter. I'd get him out of the house as much as possible and shut her up somewhere like a bathroom or bedroom.

3 weeks is average.
yeah, I really don't like having them together at all right now... but like I said, the best way I have to separate them is putting one of them in the kennel outside but its too cold right now to keep either of them out there for more than a couple hours (they at least have a box there to get out of the elements, but aside from a blanket and their own thin coat of fur they don't have anything to keep them warm)

also, I can get them to settle down (under constant supervision, AS ALWAYS) and they were actually sleeping together on the couch earlier. That and when he's in a bedroom at night and finally falls asleep, has been the only times when he's stopped whining. poor guy, it must be torture for him sad

(right now, shes in her bedroom with the alpha-b***h and after a half hour of pacing he finally came and laid down next to me, still whining though)

Greedy Giver

SHD
Well the first and foremost thing is - Never leave the dogs alone. A tie happens very, very quickly and once a tie happens, the dog is going to be bred, no matter what you do.

For my breeding females that are in heat I use re-usable diapers that I can put in the washing machine. They cost about $30.00 each though, so I don't know if you have the funds to do that. If not, then buying some men's boxer briefs that has the spandex on the legs work and a normal human period pad. But of course, if she is wearing anything she needs to be watched at all times.

The average length of a female's heat is 3 weeks, but it can last up to 41 days, depending on the dog. Here is the average heat cycle.

First stage - Female has bloody discharge, vulva is swollen and males are attracted to her, but she is unwilling to mate. Lasts an average of 7 to 10 days.

Middle stage - Pink to clear discharge, vulva is swollen and males will are attracted to her. She is ready to mate and will present herself to a male if possible. Lasts an average of 4 to 10 days.

Last stage - Female's vulva will start to shrink, and she will no longer have discharge. She will still be giving off the 'heat' scent, but she will be unwilling to mate. Lasts an average of 7-10 days.

When I say "presenting", it means the female will pull her tail to the side and present herself to a male dog. She is ready to mate and this is the hardest time to have a male in the house, intact or not. Although your male may not show any signs of aggression, he may become possessive of the female dog in the home during this time. They should be separated, even if you are watching them. I have been breeding for several years and I have seen males jump through glass windows, chew through doors and even destroy crates to get to a female in heat. Of course, those are rare cases, but they can still happen.

Your male will be on/off his food and water now until she is done her heat. This is very normal, but it can be worrisome to the owner. You must watch your male and make sure he has enough food and water in his system. If you have too, get a syringe (no needle) and mix some wet food and water together and put it down his throat. But that is only if your male stops eating/drinking all together.

Of course, the best thing to do in this situation is to have someone else take care of your male dog. But since that can not happen, you need to be very, very diligent. You can not assume they are not doing anything when you go to the bathroom, or to the kitchen to get something to drink. You must take the female with you everywhere unless you have a secure place for her to be. If you have a crate, then she can go in there, but please note that a male dog can still mate with her through the bars if it is a wire crate. If you plan on putting her in the kennel outdoors, please note that males have been known to travel more then a couple miles to get to a female that's in heat.

If you have to leave the house, please take one of them with you if you can. Separation anxiety aside, you can give them something to chew on if you need too to keep them occupied while you are gone.

**Note: The next sentence is not because I am a breeder and not because I have anything against mixed breeds or anything like that. I work with local rescues/shelters and have owned rescue/shelter dogs in the past.**

Unless you dogs are registered and have completed a title in something such as conformation, obedience, sport or work, please get your dogs spayed and neutered. Please do not breed your two dogs just because they are cute and you think their puppies would be cute. That is breeding for all the wrong reasons. I understand that the female is not your responsibility, but your male is.

Thank you for all the info! Super helpful. She'd be in her middle stage right now, I've noticed her vulva isn't HUGE like it was at first but still very swollen and her discharge is pink more than bloody.

They're a very attached couple and her being in heat has only amplified this x1000000, he's normally possessive of her, and his household in general, but the last few days I've noticed the alpha-b***h getting possessive of her too (is that good? she's always been maternal towards both of them, her especially because we got her so young, and she'll snap at him to protect not only the pup, but other people's dogs too... he's proven to be very domineering of every other dog he comes across, needs constant supervision and a leash at all times whenever he's around other dogs )

I've noticed he has still been drinking a good bit, but only a couple nibbles of food here and there. He's so lean as it is, he's a very hyper-active dog, no fat on him whatsoever, just lots of muscle. And aptly named "Dozer" I wouldn't put it past him to bulldoze through a closed door to get to her, been sleeping with them both in separate rooms with two closed doors between them, although that presents another problem: we have wood heat so a room with the door closed all night gets pretty chilly.

I'm kinda tempted to go get him fixed behind my husband's back, but I don't have it in me to do anything behind his back (damn me for being so ethical in my marriage!) I imagine it would help him be less territorial, and probably chill him out around other dogs, too. They are both purebred, but he's a staffordshire and she's an american pit, so cute they may be, it'd be a pointless mix (yet still "purebred" enough that it'd appeal to pit-lovers, they wouldn't have papers but they'd still have all the wonderful qualities that make these dogs such great companions/family dogs/working dogs/ect ect ect)
Her owner doesn't want to breed the two, I don't want to breed either of them. Each might get fixed after a single litter though- we'd probably end up with the pick of his (idk what I'd we'd do with another damn dog), and if she only has one litter we know enough people (family/friends) we've spoken to that would take a dog already we'll have at least 3/4 of them going to good homes before she's even knocked up. I've volunteered at shelters before (in fact, if we ever did end up with another dog I'd prefer to get one from a shelter) I've seen the numbers (not to mention all the HORRENDOUS, UNGODLY and down-right INHUMANE breed-specific bans and regulations against these dogs), I don't like any of it. There will be no puppies, mixed or otherwise, until the good, loving homes come FIRST!! That much we all agree on.
Aaaand somehow this responsibility has left resting squarely on my shoulders, and mine alone. I guess thats what I get for being a stay-at-home mom stare

(awww, he quit whining and he's snoring on my lap 4laugh )

Aged Girl

I think your question was answered but i'll add something.

You should get a few books on breeding, go to a few dog shows, shadow a few breeders, and learn a bit. There's an entire American Pit Bull/American Bully/-insert other related new pit bull type "breeds"- community on Youtube, as well.
The library is a great resource, too.

Devoted Inquisitor

This is probably unwelcome, but please consider the number of bully type dogs euthanized in shelters in the US every year before breeding pet/mutt/cross dogs that don't have a purpose beyond great family pet. Please. Your dogs will still be the wonderful, perfect companions they are without reproducing.

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200
if it was me i would try to talk your hubby into getting your boy fixed. as much as i hate to jump on the speuter bandwagon if he is going to spend time with a b***h in heat and you dont want babies and arent bale to keep them seperated then seperating him from his nuts may be something worth looking into

and glad to hear you arent just going to breed willy nilly, but please do think carefully about it. SHD is a really good dog breeder. you should ask her some questions and try to learn from her experiences smile

and its good to hear that you volunteered at a shelter. it can be a very humbling experience and i feel is good for anyone who has a pet, especially those that are thinking about breeding. not to talk you out of it, just so you know what goes on there
kitti kat

Thank you for all the info! Super helpful. She'd be in her middle stage right now, I've noticed her vulva isn't HUGE like it was at first but still very swollen and her discharge is pink more than bloody.

They're a very attached couple and her being in heat has only amplified this x1000000, he's normally possessive of her, and his household in general, but the last few days I've noticed the alpha-b***h getting possessive of her too (is that good? she's always been maternal towards both of them, her especially because we got her so young, and she'll snap at him to protect not only the pup, but other people's dogs too... he's proven to be very domineering of every other dog he comes across, needs constant supervision and a leash at all times whenever he's around other dogs )

I've noticed he has still been drinking a good bit, but only a couple nibbles of food here and there. He's so lean as it is, he's a very hyper-active dog, no fat on him whatsoever, just lots of muscle. And aptly named "Dozer" I wouldn't put it past him to bulldoze through a closed door to get to her, been sleeping with them both in separate rooms with two closed doors between them, although that presents another problem: we have wood heat so a room with the door closed all night gets pretty chilly.

I'm kinda tempted to go get him fixed behind my husband's back, but I don't have it in me to do anything behind his back (damn me for being so ethical in my marriage!) I imagine it would help him be less territorial, and probably chill him out around other dogs, too. They are both purebred, but he's a staffordshire and she's an american pit, so cute they may be, it'd be a pointless mix (yet still "purebred" enough that it'd appeal to pit-lovers, they wouldn't have papers but they'd still have all the wonderful qualities that make these dogs such great companions/family dogs/working dogs/ect ect ect)
Her owner doesn't want to breed the two, I don't want to breed either of them. Each might get fixed after a single litter though- we'd probably end up with the pick of his (idk what I'd we'd do with another damn dog), and if she only has one litter we know enough people (family/friends) we've spoken to that would take a dog already we'll have at least 3/4 of them going to good homes before she's even knocked up. I've volunteered at shelters before (in fact, if we ever did end up with another dog I'd prefer to get one from a shelter) I've seen the numbers (not to mention all the HORRENDOUS, UNGODLY and down-right INHUMANE breed-specific bans and regulations against these dogs), I don't like any of it. There will be no puppies, mixed or otherwise, until the good, loving homes come FIRST!! That much we all agree on.
Aaaand somehow this responsibility has left resting squarely on my shoulders, and mine alone. I guess thats what I get for being a stay-at-home mom stare

So the middle stage is the most 'dangerous' part. This is where she can get pregnant. What happens after the male mounts her is he creates a tie. Which means that the p***s can not come out of the vulva of the female dog until after he ejaculates. This can take 10 - 30 minutes. Breeders will stand with/hold onto their dogs at this time so that the female doesn't try to move around too much with the male attached to her. This is the time that you need to keep them separated at all times from all other dogs. Even your other female dog, as that can become problematic as well, especially if your other female dog has possessive issues as well.

If he is normally possessive, then not being neutered can be a part of the problem. Getting him neutered will calm him down a bit. But he is also still young and needs to be taught that being possessive over other animals is not okay. You must work with him/train him to understand that he can not be possessive over other animals/people/things with anyone, dog or human. As for the other female, if you say she only corrects him, then that's fine. But if she is being possessive as well, then that is something that needs to be worked on. Using positive reinforcement methods, such as voice or clicker training will help in teaching him how he should be around other dogs. Keeping him on leash is good, but could also make him barrier aggressive/anxious because he can't move away if the dog decide to correct him.

That's good that he is still drinking, but make sure he is eating as well. Add some yummy wet food to his meals to entice him to eat. I tend to add more raw to my male's diets when I have a female in heat to entice them to continue to eat. Having a wood-stove heating the house does pose a problem, but if you can get your hands on a space heater, or an extra blanket for the other dog that is not in the room with you, then that could work. I normally have my girls sleep in the room with my husband and I when they are in heat, it's just easier for us to keep an eye on them.

Fixing him behind your husband's back would cause a rift in the trust you two have. But I would write down the pro's and con's to having him fixed and explain why you want him fixed. Contacting your local vets to see the prices also help as then you know if you can afford it now, or if you need to save up for his surgery. But as I said before, it will calm him down a bit if he is neutered. I understand what you mean about them both being purebred, but without papers. I love Pitties and so does my husband. He' goes ga-ga over every one we meet. We used to have Pittie/Rottie cross name Bentley and a Pittie/Catahoula Leopard Dog cross named Alu. They are amazing dogs, so loving and sweet. But there are so, so, so many of them in rescues and shelters that you can easily find a dog to fit your lifestyle/home. That would in it-self give your husband a good reason to have your boy neutered.

It's good to hear that you would have homes first, I understand that. I have a waiting list as well, but even then. If you have that litter, then there are 3, 4, or even more dogs/puppies that are in the shelter/at a rescue that could have gone to those homes instead of the female dog going through a pregnancy/birth/having to rear puppies. As you said, the responsibility falls to you since you are the one home. Puppies take a lot of work. My husband takes time off of work and he does the night-shift. We are with our puppies 24/7. I have the day shift and he is up all night with them. Doing everything right costs a fair amount of money and a lot more time and energy. There are so many bully breed dogs/puppies at shelters/rescues because of Back Yard Breeders that are waiting to give those families that you mentioned the best fur-friend they are looking for.

Greedy Giver

SHD
kitti kat

So the middle stage is the most 'dangerous' part. This is where she can get pregnant. What happens after the male mounts her is he creates a tie. Which means that the p***s can not come out of the vulva of the female dog until after he ejaculates. This can take 10 - 30 minutes. Breeders will stand with/hold onto their dogs at this time so that the female doesn't try to move around too much with the male attached to her. This is the time that you need to keep them separated at all times from all other dogs. Even your other female dog, as that can become problematic as well, especially if your other female dog has possessive issues as well.

If he is normally possessive, then not being neutered can be a part of the problem. Getting him neutered will calm him down a bit. But he is also still young and needs to be taught that being possessive over other animals is not okay. You must work with him/train him to understand that he can not be possessive over other animals/people/things with anyone, dog or human. As for the other female, if you say she only corrects him, then that's fine. But if she is being possessive as well, then that is something that needs to be worked on. Using positive reinforcement methods, such as voice or clicker training will help in teaching him how he should be around other dogs. Keeping him on leash is good, but could also make him barrier aggressive/anxious because he can't move away if the dog decide to correct him.

That's good that he is still drinking, but make sure he is eating as well. Add some yummy wet food to his meals to entice him to eat. I tend to add more raw to my male's diets when I have a female in heat to entice them to continue to eat. Having a wood-stove heating the house does pose a problem, but if you can get your hands on a space heater, or an extra blanket for the other dog that is not in the room with you, then that could work. I normally have my girls sleep in the room with my husband and I when they are in heat, it's just easier for us to keep an eye on them.

Fixing him behind your husband's back would cause a rift in the trust you two have. But I would write down the pro's and con's to having him fixed and explain why you want him fixed. Contacting your local vets to see the prices also help as then you know if you can afford it now, or if you need to save up for his surgery. But as I said before, it will calm him down a bit if he is neutered. I understand what you mean about them both being purebred, but without papers. I love Pitties and so does my husband. He' goes ga-ga over every one we meet. We used to have Pittie/Rottie cross name Bentley and a Pittie/Catahoula Leopard Dog cross named Alu. They are amazing dogs, so loving and sweet. But there are so, so, so many of them in rescues and shelters that you can easily find a dog to fit your lifestyle/home. That would in it-self give your husband a good reason to have your boy neutered.

It's good to hear that you would have homes first, I understand that. I have a waiting list as well, but even then. If you have that litter, then there are 3, 4, or even more dogs/puppies that are in the shelter/at a rescue that could have gone to those homes instead of the female dog going through a pregnancy/birth/having to rear puppies. As you said, the responsibility falls to you since you are the one home. Puppies take a lot of work. My husband takes time off of work and he does the night-shift. We are with our puppies 24/7. I have the day shift and he is up all night with them. Doing everything right costs a fair amount of money and a lot more time and energy. There are so many bully breed dogs/puppies at shelters/rescues because of Back Yard Breeders that are waiting to give those families that you mentioned the best fur-friend they are looking for.

The other female dog tends to separate herself (she really is the most wonderful dog ever and always has been) but even before the pup went into heat its been hard to separate these two. We took our two to my in-laws for about a week and half, in that time the little pup wasn't as energetic and didn't eat as much as normal, she really wasn't herself. We also had to have my male on a leash at all times because of his behavior towards their male dog (who is fixed). It was a good experience for him, not only the traveling aspect and going out and seeing other people and being new places- he did great with all that- but it also gave us an opportunity to train him a bit with their male. Not much came out of it though... the only time the two were able to be together and be calm near each other was with my husband sitting in between them, but hey thats something, right? I've also successfully trained him to not go after our chickens, even if they're out I've finally got him to not show any interest in them. That feels like a huge victory to me *yay, I can teach him things afterall*

He did nibble on a little bit of food late last night, not much but at least he's shown me he's still capable of putting his mind towards food right now. Thats a good idea with the wet food, I'll have to pick some up for him.
It was so much easier when I had some help here, they're both so attention-driven they'd be better off if there was at least one person for each of them. Last night I put both of them in separate bathrooms, she was whining all night (used to sleeping in a bed or on the couch, spoiled b***h) and it got him riled up a few times but he's gotten good at laying down, even when it was just me yelling at him through the wall. I'm afraid if I had only him in a bathroom and her not closed up too then she might go to the door and encourage him to break the damn thing down (which I know he's more than capable of, luckily I don't think he knows it.. yet)
I'm kinda at odds with how much to separate them right now. Puppies are out of the question of course so I refuse to be any less than 100% diligent about that, at least having gone through motherhood/attachment parenting in the first year or so has given me some sort of preparation for the task of never letting my guard down with these two. And he is very responsive to my voice commands- at this point I think he's fighting his instincts as best he can knowing he doesn't have my permission to mount her/sniff or lick at her cooch (still tries to be sneaky about it, but he can't outsmart me *ha-ha!* ) like he'll sniff her and whine and look at me and look at her and pace around and look at me, just waiting for my permission which he's not going to get. The calmest I've seen him in these last few days is when I do allow him to be next to her when she's laying down and after discouraging any resemblance of unwanted behavior from him, he settles down and sleeps by her, not whining for once.

This is a stupid situation if you ask me. I'd rather take in a dozen pits/pit-mixes from shelters than to have these two in the house with neither of em fixed. Cept I can't adopt a shelter dog with any un-fixed dog in the home... wtf thats a stupid rule, its not like you can walk out of there with a dog you intend to breed since they fix em all anyway stare (I do understand what they're doing with that though- its probably the only industry in the world that would like to see itself shrink into nothing rather than grow even larger)
another idea: I will be the type of breeder I want to be- a rabbit breeder, I'll fill our yard with a hundred or more purebred rabbits by this time next year, get my tattoo-stamper-thinggy and pedigrees going with ARBA and maybe with all that going on, someone aside from me can see how stupid it is to not have these dogs fixed! Unlike rabbits, you can't just eat em when they're overpopulated.

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200
well you can eat dogs, its just very frowned upon and illegal in some places lol

was it a specific rescue that game you that weird rule about adopting? different shelters and rescues have different rules so i would go somewhere else. the place i worked at didnt care about anything so long as you could pay and could tell them an address that allowed bully breeds

Greedy Giver

Shanna66
well you can eat dogs, its just very frowned upon and illegal in some places lol

was it a specific rescue that game you that weird rule about adopting? different shelters and rescues have different rules so i would go somewhere else. the place i worked at didnt care about anything so long as you could pay and could tell them an address that allowed bully breeds

having dogs for pets is one of the very few things thats nearly universal in all cultures, I think Korea is the only place in the world where eating dog is culturally acceptable )but don't quote me on that I really don't know all that much about Korea). I wouldn't eat them unless maybe it was a specific meat breed, which I don't think there is such a thing, even so, it would only be under the circumstances of such a meal being offered to me out of hospitality. Rabbits on the other hand are delicious wink

And I've found this is the policy of each of the shelters I've visited in my area, the largest of which (and most likely place I'd go to adopt a dog) has a surprisingly extensive application process, including not only verifying permission with your landlord to adopt a dog, but also references of people who will vouch for your ability to provide a loving home, proof of employment so they know you have some income to be able to buy dog food, and a contract saying you'll get the dog fixed and get all required shots should you adopt a puppy that isn't fixed already (in which case they'd follow up in a couple weeks, contacting the vet to verify the dog has been looked after, they also have a list of participating vet's offices that take part in a program to offer free or discounted spay/neuter services to adopted dogs, with the shelter reimbursing the vet's remaining fees) They seem to do a great job there and have wonderful facilities and resources, with such an application process perhaps not surprising how many animals they have there (I thought their adoption fees were pretty damn high too) but at least they make sure they're placing the animals in good homes and not just adding to the problems that make such places necessary to begin with.
Once we get some cash rolling in again I want to volunteer there, they seem like they could use an extra set of hands. There are a number of things I'd have to sort out before I'd be able to do that though... actually, I should call them up and ask about a few things smile
kitti kat

The other female dog tends to separate herself (she really is the most wonderful dog ever and always has been) but even before the pup went into heat its been hard to separate these two. We took our two to my in-laws for about a week and half, in that time the little pup wasn't as energetic and didn't eat as much as normal, she really wasn't herself. We also had to have my male on a leash at all times because of his behavior towards their male dog (who is fixed). It was a good experience for him, not only the traveling aspect and going out and seeing other people and being new places- he did great with all that- but it also gave us an opportunity to train him a bit with their male. Not much came out of it though... the only time the two were able to be together and be calm near each other was with my husband sitting in between them, but hey thats something, right? I've also successfully trained him to not go after our chickens, even if they're out I've finally got him to not show any interest in them. That feels like a huge victory to me *yay, I can teach him things afterall*

He did nibble on a little bit of food late last night, not much but at least he's shown me he's still capable of putting his mind towards food right now. Thats a good idea with the wet food, I'll have to pick some up for him.
It was so much easier when I had some help here, they're both so attention-driven they'd be better off if there was at least one person for each of them. Last night I put both of them in separate bathrooms, she was whining all night (used to sleeping in a bed or on the couch, spoiled b***h) and it got him riled up a few times but he's gotten good at laying down, even when it was just me yelling at him through the wall. I'm afraid if I had only him in a bathroom and her not closed up too then she might go to the door and encourage him to break the damn thing down (which I know he's more than capable of, luckily I don't think he knows it.. yet)
I'm kinda at odds with how much to separate them right now. Puppies are out of the question of course so I refuse to be any less than 100% diligent about that, at least having gone through motherhood/attachment parenting in the first year or so has given me some sort of preparation for the task of never letting my guard down with these two. And he is very responsive to my voice commands- at this point I think he's fighting his instincts as best he can knowing he doesn't have my permission to mount her/sniff or lick at her cooch (still tries to be sneaky about it, but he can't outsmart me *ha-ha!* ) like he'll sniff her and whine and look at me and look at her and pace around and look at me, just waiting for my permission which he's not going to get. The calmest I've seen him in these last few days is when I do allow him to be next to her when she's laying down and after discouraging any resemblance of unwanted behavior from him, he settles down and sleeps by her, not whining for once.

This is a stupid situation if you ask me. I'd rather take in a dozen pits/pit-mixes from shelters than to have these two in the house with neither of em fixed. Cept I can't adopt a shelter dog with any un-fixed dog in the home... wtf thats a stupid rule, its not like you can walk out of there with a dog you intend to breed since they fix em all anyway stare (I do understand what they're doing with that though- its probably the only industry in the world that would like to see itself shrink into nothing rather than grow even larger)
another idea: I will be the type of breeder I want to be- a rabbit breeder, I'll fill our yard with a hundred or more purebred rabbits by this time next year, get my tattoo-stamper-thinggy and pedigrees going with ARBA and maybe with all that going on, someone aside from me can see how stupid it is to not have these dogs fixed! Unlike rabbits, you can't just eat em when they're overpopulated.

I am glad to hear that you understand your dog and are doing everything possible to manage your dog correctly. It makes me sad when people don't understand how to manage their dog and think that their dog can do no wrong. Keep working with him and hopefully he'll be able to be around other male dogs. But neutering him will make it easier on you and him. Sexual frustration is another thing to think about. Intact males, especially ones whom are around females in heat that have not bred before, or are not going to be bred for a while can become sexually frustrated and lash out aggressively.

That's good about the food. Yes, adding some wet food to his meal will hopefully entice him to eat a bit more. I know what you mean. Having multiple dogs and only two arms/hands can be hard. Especially when you have to keep the dogs away from each other because of the heat. Finding things for the dogs to chew on is a good idea such as a Kong filled with peanut butter or a frozen raw meaty bone. Or even a natural chew like the Bully Stick for both/either of them to occupy their time while the other is getting attention/while they are separated.

With your child-rearing experiences, it will help you in keeping an eye on them all the time, so that is good. Hopefully, she'll have a quick heat and you won't have to be on them like white on rice for any longer then you have too. As to the rule that your local shelter has, I can see why they have it. It may not be the most fun of rules, but it makes sense because of the aggressive nature of your male because of him being intact. But that also gives you another point to bring up with your husband about spayed/neutering the dogs so that if you wanted to rescue another, then you guys could.

Haha, I love the rabbit idea. I had a house-bunny when I was young and I loved him. I would love to get another one again soon. Rabbits are awesome and you are right, rabbit meat sure does go down easier then dog meat. xp

Greedy Giver

SHD

I am glad to hear that you understand your dog and are doing everything possible to manage your dog correctly. It makes me sad when people don't understand how to manage their dog and think that their dog can do no wrong. Keep working with him and hopefully he'll be able to be around other male dogs. But neutering him will make it easier on you and him. Sexual frustration is another thing to think about. Intact males, especially ones whom are around females in heat that have not bred before, or are not going to be bred for a while can become sexually frustrated and lash out aggressively.

That's good about the food. Yes, adding some wet food to his meal will hopefully entice him to eat a bit more. I know what you mean. Having multiple dogs and only two arms/hands can be hard. Especially when you have to keep the dogs away from each other because of the heat. Finding things for the dogs to chew on is a good idea such as a Kong filled with peanut butter or a frozen raw meaty bone. Or even a natural chew like the Bully Stick for both/either of them to occupy their time while the other is getting attention/while they are separated.

With your child-rearing experiences, it will help you in keeping an eye on them all the time, so that is good. Hopefully, she'll have a quick heat and you won't have to be on them like white on rice for any longer then you have too. As to the rule that your local shelter has, I can see why they have it. It may not be the most fun of rules, but it makes sense because of the aggressive nature of your male because of him being intact. But that also gives you another point to bring up with your husband about spayed/neutering the dogs so that if you wanted to rescue another, then you guys could.

Haha, I love the rabbit idea. I had a house-bunny when I was young and I loved him. I would love to get another one again soon. Rabbits are awesome and you are right, rabbit meat sure does go down easier then dog meat. xp
dogs are animals, they have instincts, they think differently than humans. It can be hard to get in a dog's head but having that basic understanding of what drives them is kinda a necessity of having them.
Some of his problems are because of his instincts being amplified by his balls, other issues he has are simply because he's a pup yet. He's shown to be dominate of other dogs and territorial (territorial is a natural instinct of all canines) but so far this hasn't once manifested in aggression. Jumping, barking, growling, mooing even, but I've never seen him bare his teeth or n** at anybody or any other dogs. I'd like to keep it that way and getting him cut sure would help ensure it never happens.
And its not just male dogs he has issues with, its every single dog aside from the other two in his pack.

Actually, I just found out that shelter does low-cost spnuter, it would only cost as much as $71 to get him fixed there! surprised (maybe $10 less since his weight is likely to drop a bit with all this not eating) That low price might give my hubby more incentive to think about getting him cut. No wonder all their aminals are fixed, they have clinic there with a part-time vet! Also, I was looking into their statistics, they tend to operate at full-capacity but place almost every single dog they take-in in a year biggrin

As far as things for them to chew on, we got the best of the best: antlers! funny how we got them, not two days after bringing this boy home he runs off and comes back with a big ol deer antler, all we had to do was take a hack-saw to it 4laugh They last forever and they're made of healthy minerals! It helps distract her somewhat but he's after one thing and one thing only.

I did get him to eat almost a whole bowl of food though!! I found some peanut oil that I fried some fish in and mixed it in with his food, the extra polyunsaturated fats should be good for his coat and skin too, especially with all the dry air caused by this wood heat.

I raised rabbits for a while, didn't have a pedigreed line going or anything but with 4 actively breeding does I still had as much as 60-70 rabbits at a time. They're so yummy, especially because we fed ours an all-natural grain mix (with lots of molasses) and when the weather allowed, they had lots of fresh grass and clover/wildflowers, too. It made their meat so sweet and delicious emotion_drool
Most rabbit breeders raising meat rabbits dont do grain mix because they don't get quite as fat by the magic 10-12 week age, but I figure its healthier for them, its healthier for me. And I bought it in bulk and saved a lot of money. Plus all the grains from my local feed store were more or less locally-sourced so its helping my local farmers too (plus my local feed store, being a local business, gotta keep it local ya know shop local buy local all that loco business lol)
kitti kat

That's great news that the shelter helps with low-income spaying/neutering. $71.00 is a great price. Hopefully it'll be a good incentive for your husband, yeah. I love antler's, my husband and I live in a very rural area and we hike in the mountains behind our home all the time. Our dogs come back with antler's all the time and we find them quite often as well. Both of our families and us as well are hunters, so we have a great supply of antlers. Our dogs love them and it's fun to watch the pups discover them and carry them around too. That's really good that you got him to eat a whole bowl of food. What did you end up using for the female to cover her? Is she still wearing the t-shirt?

My husband's mother and him used to raise meat rabbits when he was growing up. His mother doesn't do it anymore, but she also said something about adding molasses to their diet. It makes sense. I can see what you mean about them not getting as big, but I would rather have nice lean meat then a fattier rabbit. I agree, if you can buy it local, then keep it local. 3nodding

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff