Welcome to Gaia! ::

Vicious Fatcat

My dogs and kitty have been going crazy with fleas and a friend of mine told me to bathe them in lavender then rub coconut oil on them. I did the lavender and it worked, surprisingly, really well and I'm going to try the coconut oil when they dry. I looked it up online and it's suppose to be repellent and also good for the skin so I'm kinda excited.

Any other tips I can try? I mean, obviously I'm gonna buy flea stuff, but I needed them to stop itching and whatnot because I felt so bad for them. >.<

Just looking to see for ideas so I can save a few bucks. biggrin

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200
i swear by diatomaceous earth. ive had so much luck with it. the only time ive found any fleas in my house this summer was after i came in contact with fleas at work so im pretty sure the only reason we had any was because of me

ill have to try the oil thing you are talking about.

Vicious Fatcat

Shanna66
i swear by diatomaceous earth. ive had so much luck with it. the only time ive found any fleas in my house this summer was after i came in contact with fleas at work so im pretty sure the only reason we had any was because of me

ill have to try the oil thing you are talking about.

Yeah, it works a lot lot better than the Pet shampoo I've been using. It also says to rub the coconut oil on them 2 a day, so let me know if it works for you! So far so good. biggrin

Celestial Dog

ahh be super careful with the lavender! gonk it, along with any other essential oils, are known to be toxic to cats both orally and topically

Zeedus's Senpai

Floppy Puppy

If that's the case, I'd ditch the lavendar. Coconut oil, howver, is an antibacterial antifungal short chain fatty acid that's very good for moisturizing the skin and coat, both orally and topically.

Vicious Fatcat

Q2k
ahh be super careful with the lavender! gonk it, along with any other essential oils, are known to be toxic to cats both orally and topically

I didn't use lavender oil on the kitty, but a small amount of watered down lavender soap. It unfortunately didn't work too well for the kitty. Used a flea comb and, in one swipe, pulled 5-6 fleas around her neck. Needless to say, I'm gonna have to get flea medication. ._.
When it comes to fleas I usually just buy Advantage II. Works really well for my cats.
My coworker swears by diatomaceous earth for her dog. She buys this bar soap by Dermagic Pet Products that has it in the soap.
The powder form of it doesn't really appeal to me. If it gets in your eyes or if you breathe it in (or if you pet does) it can be super irritating. Not fun.

Feral Cat

I used dish dawn soap on the kitties, let it set on the coat so the fleas suffocate, they were to young to have flea medicine so a coworker told me to try it. it worked well. just make sure to rinse very well since kits like to lick themselves for grooming.

Demonic Ladykiller

12,550 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Contributor 150
  • Bunny Spotter 50
Here's the issue, you need to get good medication, you can bathe them and get rid of every flea on them, but there are fleas all over the house that'll get back on them. I used comfortis, and they say it lasts 1 month, mine lasted 3.

Devoted Inquisitor

You need to go after the fleas in the house, too.

Vicious Fatcat

Satans Bloody Valentine
Here's the issue, you need to get good medication, you can bathe them and get rid of every flea on them, but there are fleas all over the house that'll get back on them. I used comfortis, and they say it lasts 1 month, mine lasted 3.

Yeah, I know. This was to help subside the itching for them SO I can go get flea medication.

Demonic Ladykiller

12,550 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Contributor 150
  • Bunny Spotter 50
bcuzno
Satans Bloody Valentine

Yeah, I know. This was to help subside the itching for them SO I can go get flea medication.
Dawn. I use it to get rid of the flees and use cold water to help with the itching. They always feel so much better afterwards

Demonic Kitten

My mom used to rub Neem oil on our cat who had a flea allergy and it helped her a lot. It soothes the skin. It's a natural Indian remedy that's good for many things. But really you should just get the flea killer.

I've never heard of the lavender and coconut oil thing, but that's interesting. I will say though that I read that essential oils can be extremely harmful to cats, because it seeps into their skin and they lick it off their fur. Some are worse than others for cats, and obviously a little bit won't hurt them very much, and I'm not sure about lavender oil specifically, but just letting you know. Tea tree oil is actually very toxic to cats, just so you know.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff