Welcome to Gaia! ::

Lonely Gaian

13,575 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Befriended 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
What kind of dog this is?
If you seen my other forum about how I'm wanting to get a golden retriever but I've met this kind of dog and I really like it too plus it's small!
Andddd I need help
I think I've decided I want to try to give a small dog a try and get a larger dog later
My considerations are Corgi, Doxin and Shetlie but I'm open to suggestion!
I want to know what's the pros and cons to each are
I'm just looking for a dog who's good with kittens/cat ideally(I'll know because of rescue), and that loveable will give me lots of attention and is a good first time dog overall.

Eloquent Gawker

Looks like a Shetland Sheepdog...

Lonely Gaian

13,575 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Befriended 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
Savage Destiny
Looks like a Shetland Sheepdog...

I thought it was A border collie
Shows how much I know about dogs

Lonely Gaian

13,575 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Befriended 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
Does anyone know about Shetie?

Lonely Gaian

13,575 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Befriended 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400

Sparkly Nerd

28,925 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Brandisher 100
Shelties are the easiest to train out of the three.
But all three of those breeds have fairly high prey drives (which could result in dead kitties).

You might want to look into other small breeds, or try out a mutt.

You could do a refined search on petfinder to find small, cat-friendly, pre-trained dogs in your area.

Lonely Gaian

13,575 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Befriended 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
Melisserz
But all three of those breeds have fairly high prey drives (which could result in dead kitties).

You could do a refined search on petfinder to find small, cat-friendly, pre-trained dogs in your area.

Such as what kind?

Sparkly Nerd

28,925 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Brandisher 100
DizzySnowFire
Melisserz

Such as what kind?
I can't say off the top of my head. Most that come to mind generally have high prey-drives.

Maybe a Bichon? My cousin's is darling with her cat.
Google "small cat friendly breeds", I'm sure you'll find something that suits you.

The most cat-friendly dog that I've had was a APBT/hound mix. But she was raised around cats and learned to respect them at a young age. (She helped raise the girly in my sig)

Lonely Gaian

13,575 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Befriended 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
Melisserz
DizzySnowFire
Melisserz

Such as what kind?
I can't say off the top of my head. Most that come to mind generally have high prey-drives.

Maybe a Bichon? My cousin's is darling with her cat.
Google "small cat friendly breeds", I'm sure you'll find something that suits you.

The most cat-friendly dog that I've had was a APBT/hound mix. But she was raised around cats and learned to respect them at a young age. (She helped raise the girly in my sig)

Alright thank you.

Devoted Inquisitor

Shelties are not one of the breeds that's notoriously bad with cats; if cats are your only concern they're fine. I had a sheltie who was fine with cats, and I haven't ever known one that was a cat killer. Most shelties have pretty low prey-drive.

They're great dogs, but they're extremely sensitive and can be barkers. Easy to train does NOT mean easy to live with. They're very smart and very demanding.

And that is a sheltie. :]

Lonely Gaian

13,575 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Befriended 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
Latrans
Shelties are not one of the breeds that's notoriously bad with cats; if cats are your only concern they're fine. I had a sheltie who was fine with cats, and I haven't ever known one that was a cat killer. Most shelties have pretty low prey-drive.

They're great dogs, but they're extremely sensitive and can be barkers. Easy to train does NOT mean easy to live with. They're very smart and very demanding.

What about Corgi's?
Well I'd make sure whatever dog I do end up getting is good with cats since it's form a rescue

Devoted Inquisitor

DizzySnowFire
Latrans

What about Corgi's?
Well I'd make sure whatever dog I do end up getting is good with cats since it's form a rescue

I know several corgis that live with cats just fine.

They're loud dogs, and can be pretty scrappy, and I've met many that have absolutely no qualms about laying teeth on people if the people are bothering them.

Are you interested in cardis or pems?

Lonely Gaian

13,575 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Befriended 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
Latrans
DizzySnowFire
Latrans

What about Corgi's?

They're loud dogs, and can be pretty scrappy, and I've met many that have absolutely no qualms about laying teeth on people if the people are bothering them.

Which one is more I guess even tempered of nicer?

Devoted Inquisitor

DizzySnowFire
Latrans
DizzySnowFire
Latrans

What about Corgi's?

They're both cattle dogs lol, I'm not sure nice is on the table. ;] In my experience, pems are sharper, but they're more popular, so they'd be easier to find in rescue.

Lonely Gaian

13,575 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Befriended 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
Latrans
DizzySnowFire
Latrans
DizzySnowFire
Latrans

What about Corgi's?

They're both cattle dogs lol, I'm not sure nice is on the table. ;] In my experience, pems are sharper, but they're more popular, so they'd be easier to find in rescue.

Then Pems
What can you tell me about those?

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas