24,065 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Invisibility 100
  • Megathread 100
Yoshi Yamato
lividdarkangel800
Yoshi Yamato
lividdarkangel800
omg so cute! my hubby really wants one and they are starting to grow on me to. i dont have room for any more tanks. god i wish i did though...im in a small one bedroom apartment that has two ten gallon tanks, one 55, 5 bowls ranging form half a gallon( this has a tiny baby guppy who is deformed so i separated him out form the main tank. once he is big and strong i will be moving onto a two gallon with two other females. so don't worry that its such a small bowl for a fish) ) to3 gallons, two cats, a dog, a parakeet and a husband. so yeha...no room. well i guess i could move some stuff around...but no. im just about to get a new job so ill probably be working 2 jobs for while until i get more hours at the second one and i dont want another critter to take care of.

Totally understandable! Trust me! I get that! I work full time. My hubby and I live in a tiny one bedroom house (that's only slightly falling apart wink ) He's got his cichlid tank (my syndosis catfish is in there too ^.^ Love that guy!) which is 110 gallons. Two fantails in a 20 (I know they'll need more room later, they're small now) I've got six adult axolotls, 3 males and 3 females split into a 55 and a 75 according to gender (3-3). I have a small axolotl in his own 10 gallon until he gets bigger. I've got a 5 with some hatched baby 'lotls and a 30 thats stock full of eggs that should hatch soon. Two dogs. A cat. And right now a few small tanks set up for daphnia to feed to my babies. It can be a lot. lol!

What's funny is years ago, my husband wanted to bring over his fish tank from his parent's house (they were wanting it out of their house anyway) and I told him absolutely not. I didn't want fish. Maybe a lizard or something cool but not fish. Now, I'm pretty much obsessed. xD Go figure.

omg you breed them?! that is soooooooo awesome!!!!! i can only ever get guppies to breed...ive tried other things, like platties but i cant get them to live long enough to breed, dont have room to do cichlids and even if i did id have no where to give the babies. i also tried Bettas, but could'nt get them to get past the fighting part...so i am super jealous. i really want to try them now. how a tank do they need? or how till one outgrows a ten gallon?

I keep they little guy separated only because at young ages they tend to be a little... Nippish toward others. Lol Adults are completely mellow.

You know what I've noticed? It seems the more and more I read up on these guys, the more I see that everyone has a different way of keeping them. Of coarse, there's certain things you can't do differently (like how they need room temp water, nothing above 72) but I always hear different things about other elements. Some will tell you that a 10 isn't enough for an adult. I'd go at least 10 gallons every 'lotl, I think a 20 long would be perfect for a pair. I try to think about floor space over height for them. I was just given the 55 as a gift and I got the 75 at a hella deal so that's what I keep mine in but some people say that's too far for them to need to go to get a gulp of air when they need it. I don't think that's an issue because I have sand and big leafy fake plants for them to crawl on. At least they seem perfectly happy. xD Or like how I'm housing my babies in one tank. They can lay A LOT of eggs and some people actually put all their babies in individual tupperware-like containers. That can be a lot of containers! Others will tell you that containers like that aren't good for the babies. I go with one tank (usually my 30) with lots of hiding places and a very small filter. Personally, I think it has to do with the owner and the 'lotls. Just have to figure out what works out best for both. At least I know what I do works for me and my babes. <3

I'm sorry! I tend to babble when it comes to these guys xD I get going and just can't stop talking about them! That's why my hubs calls me the "crazy 'lotl lady". Lol! And don't worry, I tried getting guppies to breed and I couldn't even do that! Haha! It just so happens I can't get these guys to stop.... -.- I have two melanoids (the black ones) and I accidentally got my male and female mixed up when I separated them so that's why I have two sets of eggs/babies right now... It was an accidental breeding... But yay, babies! 4laugh

oh wow. i dont mind babble at all. how do you tell males and females apart? my lps has them set up in Tupperware containers as temporary homes. whats their usual life span? what do they eat? do they like lots of plants? are live plants ok? would a ten gallon work for a beginner setup? sorry for all the questions...

Blessed Trash

lividdarkangel800

Yoshi Yamato
lividdarkangel800
Yoshi Yamato
lividdarkangel800
omg so cute! my hubby really wants one and they are starting to grow on me to. i dont have room for any more tanks. god i wish i did though...im in a small one bedroom apartment that has two ten gallon tanks, one 55, 5 bowls ranging form half a gallon( this has a tiny baby guppy who is deformed so i separated him out form the main tank. once he is big and strong i will be moving onto a two gallon with two other females. so don't worry that its such a small bowl for a fish) ) to3 gallons, two cats, a dog, a parakeet and a husband. so yeha...no room. well i guess i could move some stuff around...but no. im just about to get a new job so ill probably be working 2 jobs for while until i get more hours at the second one and i dont want another critter to take care of.

Totally understandable! Trust me! I get that! I work full time. My hubby and I live in a tiny one bedroom house (that's only slightly falling apart wink ) He's got his cichlid tank (my syndosis catfish is in there too ^.^ Love that guy!) which is 110 gallons. Two fantails in a 20 (I know they'll need more room later, they're small now) I've got six adult axolotls, 3 males and 3 females split into a 55 and a 75 according to gender (3-3). I have a small axolotl in his own 10 gallon until he gets bigger. I've got a 5 with some hatched baby 'lotls and a 30 thats stock full of eggs that should hatch soon. Two dogs. A cat. And right now a few small tanks set up for daphnia to feed to my babies. It can be a lot. lol!

What's funny is years ago, my husband wanted to bring over his fish tank from his parent's house (they were wanting it out of their house anyway) and I told him absolutely not. I didn't want fish. Maybe a lizard or something cool but not fish. Now, I'm pretty much obsessed. xD Go figure.

omg you breed them?! that is soooooooo awesome!!!!! i can only ever get guppies to breed...ive tried other things, like platties but i cant get them to live long enough to breed, dont have room to do cichlids and even if i did id have no where to give the babies. i also tried Bettas, but could'nt get them to get past the fighting part...so i am super jealous. i really want to try them now. how a tank do they need? or how till one outgrows a ten gallon?

I keep they little guy separated only because at young ages they tend to be a little... Nippish toward others. Lol Adults are completely mellow.

You know what I've noticed? It seems the more and more I read up on these guys, the more I see that everyone has a different way of keeping them. Of coarse, there's certain things you can't do differently (like how they need room temp water, nothing above 72) but I always hear different things about other elements. Some will tell you that a 10 isn't enough for an adult. I'd go at least 10 gallons every 'lotl, I think a 20 long would be perfect for a pair. I try to think about floor space over height for them. I was just given the 55 as a gift and I got the 75 at a hella deal so that's what I keep mine in but some people say that's too far for them to need to go to get a gulp of air when they need it. I don't think that's an issue because I have sand and big leafy fake plants for them to crawl on. At least they seem perfectly happy. xD Or like how I'm housing my babies in one tank. They can lay A LOT of eggs and some people actually put all their babies in individual tupperware-like containers. That can be a lot of containers! Others will tell you that containers like that aren't good for the babies. I go with one tank (usually my 30) with lots of hiding places and a very small filter. Personally, I think it has to do with the owner and the 'lotls. Just have to figure out what works out best for both. At least I know what I do works for me and my babes. <3

I'm sorry! I tend to babble when it comes to these guys xD I get going and just can't stop talking about them! That's why my hubs calls me the "crazy 'lotl lady". Lol! And don't worry, I tried getting guppies to breed and I couldn't even do that! Haha! It just so happens I can't get these guys to stop.... -.- I have two melanoids (the black ones) and I accidentally got my male and female mixed up when I separated them so that's why I have two sets of eggs/babies right now... It was an accidental breeding... But yay, babies! 4laugh

oh wow. i dont mind babble at all. how do you tell males and females apart? my lps has them set up in Tupperware containers as temporary homes. whats their usual life span? what do they eat? do they like lots of plants? are live plants ok? would a ten gallon work for a beginner setup? sorry for all the questions...

Don't worry! I LOVE talking about these guys! I really like it when people ask questions! It gives me an excuse to talk about em! Haha!

Let's see...
Telling males and females apart is actually pretty hard. So hard, I had someone tell me once that they knew someone who had two males and claim one changed gender to lay eggs. lol I think they just thought they had two males. There's a few things that differ such as: Females tend to get bigger, males have bulges behind their hind legs (but females can too), the head shape differs slightly between the two, and I think there's a few more small things but the easiest way I know is pretty obvious: Females lay eggs.

I didn't mean to say tupperware is bad. Like I said, I think it's all based on what the owner/caretaker has found to work for them. =) Some people will disagree either way but I say if it works, go for it!

Their lifespan is 10-15 years.

I feed mine a wide variety of things. My favorite food I give mine is black worms. They go nuts for them! Most of the time it's regular earthworms since they're easier to come by in my area. I have to drive like an hour to get the black worms, but there's enough fishermen around that I can usually find other worms more easily. Every once in a while I'll give mine freeze dried blood worms but those tend to get messy so I don't really like to. There are also axolotl pellets. Personally, I prefer live food. I find it brings out their color and gills a lot better. I got a regular albino a few months back from a breeder who only feeds his pellets all the time and you can tell the difference between Creature (the albino I got from him) and the others I've had on live food. I have pellets on hand, just incase my live food crashes or Creature is being stubborn (he still gets stuck on wanting pellets every so often). I started out feeding them with tongs but, and a lot of people might disagree with me here, I went to hand-feeding because I find it much easier. Idk. Just the way I do it.

As far as plants go, I haven't had much luck with live plants. But that's just me. From what I've read, they do great with live plants! I just pick big leafy fake plants because they don't like light so it gives them somewhere to hide or crawl on. ^.^

And, I think a 10 would be fine for one! =D

Man, I hate cutting it short but.. Time for work!
So, are you thinking about getting one?

Shy Dragon

24,065 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Invisibility 100
  • Megathread 100
Yoshi Yamato
lividdarkangel800

Yoshi Yamato
lividdarkangel800
Yoshi Yamato
lividdarkangel800

Don't worry! I LOVE talking about these guys! I really like it when people ask questions! It gives me an excuse to talk about em! Haha!

Let's see...
Telling males and females apart is actually pretty hard. So hard, I had someone tell me once that they knew someone who had two males and claim one changed gender to lay eggs. lol I think they just thought they had two males. There's a few things that differ such as: Females tend to get bigger, males have bulges behind their hind legs (but females can too), the head shape differs slightly between the two, and I think there's a few more small things but the easiest way I know is pretty obvious: Females lay eggs.

I didn't mean to say tupperware is bad. Like I said, I think it's all based on what the owner/caretaker has found to work for them. =) Some people will disagree either way but I say if it works, go for it!

I feed mine a wide variety of things. My favorite food I give mine is black worms. They go nuts for them! Most of the time it's regular earthworms since they're easier to come by in my area. I have to drive like an hour to get the black worms, but there's enough fishermen around that I can usually find other worms more easily. Every once in a while I'll give mine freeze dried blood worms but those tend to get messy so I don't really like to. There are also axolotl pellets. Personally, I prefer live food. I find it brings out their color and gills a lot better. I got a regular albino a few months back from a breeder who only feeds his pellets all the time and you can tell the difference between Creature (the albino I got from him) and the others I've had on live food. I have pellets on hand, just incase my live food crashes or Creature is being stubborn (he still gets stuck on wanting pellets every so often). I started out feeding them with tongs but, and a lot of people might disagree with me here, I went to hand-feeding because I find it much easier. Idk. Just the way I do it.

As far as plants go, I haven't had much luck with live plants. But that's just me. From what I've read, they do great with live plants! I just pick big leafy fake plants because they don't like light so it gives them somewhere to hide or crawl on. ^.^

i actually am. i have a tank full of platties right now that i don't think will live (i have never kept them alive for more than two weeks, idk why i just have issues with them) so maybe if they dont work i might try one. but i am fish person less so aquatic creatures and i dont really want to be stuck with a critter it turns out i dont like. so im not sure. my hubby wants one i know that, but he already has our only 55 gallon tank for his bala sharks he barely remembers he has and i dont want him having control of two of my three tanks and not caring about whats in them. so not right now to answer your question. i fugure i have you here and can pick your brain so i should lol.

Blessed Trash

lividdarkangel800
Yoshi Yamato
lividdarkangel800

Yoshi Yamato
lividdarkangel800

Let's see...

i actually am. i have a tank full of platties right now that i don't think will live (i have never kept them alive for more than two weeks, idk why i just have issues with them) so maybe if they dont work i might try one. but i am fish person less so aquatic creatures and i dont really want to be stuck with a critter it turns out i dont like. so im not sure. my hubby wants one i know that, but he already has our only 55 gallon tank for his bala sharks he barely remembers he has and i dont want him having control of two of my three tanks and not caring about whats in them. so not right now to answer your question. i fugure i have you here and can pick your brain so i should lol.

Well Keep em in mind! They're tons of fun (at least I think so lol) pretty easy to take care of since they don't really like light or water movement and they're kept at room temp haha

And, if you think of anything else, let me know! I don't usually spend too much time away from Gaia (I'm pretty lame lol) before I come crawling back and I'm always up for talking about them!

Wheezing Bunny

○ ○ Dagon is adorable. Odd lil creatures! You've inspired me to look into them. What else do you have?? 4laugh

Blessed Trash

layers of lace
○ ○ Dagon is adorable. Odd lil creatures! You've inspired me to look into them. What else do you have?? 4laugh

Aw! Thank you! She's deffs a cutie ^.^ I love all my 'lotls so very much!
Let's see... Right now I have: my hubby's 110 gallon cichlid tank, I have a 20 gallon fancy goldfish tank, two dogs, a cat, 7 adult (okay 6 actual adults and one close to) axolotls split between a 10, a 55, and a 75. A 5 and a 30 full of baby axolotls, and a few real small tanks set up for baby axie food. =D Basically, my house looks like a pet store. Haha!

That about you? =)

Wheezing Bunny

Yoshi Yamato
layers of lace

Let's see... Right now I have: my hubby's 110 gallon cichlid tank, I have a 20 gallon fancy goldfish tank, two dogs, a cat, 7 adult (okay 6 actual adults and one close to) axolotls split between a 10, a 55, and a 75. A 5 and a 30 full of baby axolotls, and a few real small tanks set up for baby axie food. =D Basically, my house looks like a pet store. Haha!

That about you? =)

○ ○ You're welcome! omg you have lil lotl babies...I wish I would have heard of these lil things sooner crying Speaking of which, how big are they? They seem pretty small but you can never really tell with pictures sometimes so I thought I'd ask. 3nodding
That's so awesome, though! Are they easy to take care of?

i... i just have a dog LOL. But I'd like to get a bunny, a few fish, and maybe a bird sometime in the future. I'll have to go over axolotis with the boyfriend before looking too much into how cute they are..

Blessed Trash

layers of lace
Yoshi Yamato
layers of lace

That about you? =)

○ ○ You're welcome! omg you have lil lotl babies...I wish I would have heard of these lil things sooner crying Speaking of which, how big are they? They seem pretty small but you can never really tell with pictures sometimes so I thought I'd ask. 3nodding
That's so awesome, though! Are they easy to take care of?

i... i just have a dog LOL. But I'd like to get a bunny, a few fish, and maybe a bird sometime in the future. I'll have to go over axolotis with the boyfriend before looking too much into how cute they are..

Lol!
One day, I want to run my own pet store so I consider all this practice. Haha! I know it's not a big, fancy dream but I love taking care of everything I have and finding homes for animals ^.^

My adults probably range from about 6-9ish inches. Dagon is the biggest, she's the oldest female, and she's probably about the nine inches. Maybe a little bigger but I don't think much. I read online that it's rare for them to get passed twelve. They can get up to 18 but it's really rare they'll even hit the 12.

The hardest part of taking care of them is feeding. And really, that's only if you feed them like I do. By hand. And even then I don't think it'd be much of an issue for like one... Seven gets a little tiring. Lol! Their... Um... poop is actual poop. Personally (this is gonna sound weird) I use a turkey baster once a day and just pick up any droppings. It sounds weird but it works quite nicely. The guy at the pet store told me that's what he does for his so I just followed his lead. After the initial set up of the tank (which you'd need to do with any animal anyway, tho these guys are a little different than the normal tropical fish. Just different needs, not more work) it's just feeding and poop duty.

All and all, yeah once a day they might require a little bit more attention than like a goldfish or something but I find it worth it. They're so adorable and entertaining. They're just... Different. Haha! Definitely good for anyone that doesn't want something normal.

InCrebbles's Senpai

Strawberry

22,800 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Destroyer of Cuteness 150
  • 50 Wins 150
Awww look at all the mudkips!

4laugh

Kidding ♥

Are those fresh water?

Blessed Trash

The Dying Hymn

4laugh

Kidding ♥

Are those fresh water?

Sure are! 3nodding

InCrebbles's Senpai

Strawberry

22,800 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • 50 Wins 150
Yoshi Yamato
The Dying Hymn

4laugh

Kidding ♥

Are those fresh water?

Sure are! 3nodding

Are they hard to care for?
Those look like they'd be cool to have.
But I have overly curious cats and they get into everything.

x.x

Blessed Trash

The Dying Hymn
Yoshi Yamato
The Dying Hymn

4laugh

Kidding ♥

Are those fresh water?

Sure are! 3nodding

x.x

Omg. I love them so much.

Mostly they're like any other aquatic pet... With a few minor details. The hardest part of taking care of them is feeding. And really, that's only if you feed them like I do. By hand. And even then I don't think it'd be much of an issue for like one... Seven gets a little tiring. Lol! Their... Um... poop is actual poop. Personally (this is gonna sound weird) I use a turkey baster once a day and just pick up any droppings. It sounds weird but it works quite nicely. The guy at the pet store told me that's what he does for his so I just followed his lead. After the initial set up of the tank (which you'd need to do with any animal anyway, tho these guys are a little different than the normal tropical fish. Just different needs, not more work) it's just feeding and poop duty.

My cat watches them sometimes but she tends to just keep to herself anyway. Never gets into much of anything. All my tanks have hood lights on them... Maybe a screen cover instead of a hood might work? Idk. Might be dumb. I just feel like they'd be harder for a feline friend to get into. xD

InCrebbles's Senpai

Strawberry

22,800 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • 50 Wins 150
Yoshi Yamato
The Dying Hymn
Yoshi Yamato
The Dying Hymn

4laugh

Kidding ♥

Are those fresh water?

Sure are! 3nodding

x.x

Mostly they're like any other aquatic pet... With a few minor details. The hardest part of taking care of them is feeding. And really, that's only if you feed them like I do. By hand. And even then I don't think it'd be much of an issue for like one... Seven gets a little tiring. Lol! Their... Um... poop is actual poop. Personally (this is gonna sound weird) I use a turkey baster once a day and just pick up any droppings. It sounds weird but it works quite nicely. The guy at the pet store told me that's what he does for his so I just followed his lead. After the initial set up of the tank (which you'd need to do with any animal anyway, tho these guys are a little different than the normal tropical fish. Just different needs, not more work) it's just feeding and poop duty.

My cat watches them sometimes but she tends to just keep to herself anyway. Never gets into much of anything. All my tanks have hood lights on them... Maybe a screen cover instead of a hood might work? Idk. Might be dumb. I just feel like they'd be harder for a feline friend to get into. xD

I read up a little bit on them, something about water flow being different than normal fish?
Does the fecal matter disintegrate or does it stay as one piece? These lil' guys look exactly like mudkips (one of my favorite pokemon) and Im sure I could manage keeping the cats away from them.

Blessed Trash

The Dying Hymn
Yoshi Yamato
The Dying Hymn
Yoshi Yamato
The Dying Hymn

4laugh

Kidding ♥

Are those fresh water?

Sure are! 3nodding

x.x

I read up a little bit on them, something about water flow being different than normal fish?
Does the fecal matter disintegrate or does it stay as one piece? These lil' guys look exactly like mudkips (one of my favorite pokemon) and Im sure I could manage keeping the cats away from them.

They just don't like a lot of water movement. It can stress them out which can lead to illness or even death. But all I do is make sure anything that can move water is smaller than recommended. Like the filter in my 75 is actually a filter for a 55 and set at a low setting. My 30 with the babies has a 10 gallon filter and it's a filter with a spray bar that I can aim against the glass to break up the flow a bit.

Usually it stays in one piece. I think it has a lot to do with diet. I feed mine a variety and I feel like worms, more solid. Pellets, it breaks apart and disintegrates a bit. No matter what, it'll stay at the bottom of the tank. At least for the most part. So, be prepared for cleaning!

I know! I usually hear "hey, that looks like a mudkip!" or (for my melanoids) "it looks like Toothless from that how to train your dragon movie!" xD Or the "hey, Bridgett! How are your... axa-... Fish... Lizard... Um... Salamander... Uh... Dragon... Poke-things?" Stumbling for the right words. I mean, I get it. Strange creatures, strange name. Just cracks me up. rofl

Lonely Wolf

Radioactive Condoms
Aw, I miss my axolotyls! I used to have two a while back and I loved them, but when I moved into my new house, I guess they got too stressed. :/ I had a wild type, and one of the leucistics that glows under a black light, can't remember what pigment they said he had.

Sorry to butt-in your conversation all rude but I love your iggy! is it a red iguana or is that breeding season coloring? ;O

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff