Welcome to Gaia! ::

Dangerous Genius

Vydris Sedillur
I don't think this is an appropriate solution to the problem. There are two issues caused by rampant inflation due to an expanding money supply; first, people are heavily penalized for keeping their wealth in currency form, and second, people can't properly tell what their items are worth because the price level is constantly being bartered upward.

What concerns me with your solution is that I don't think it will address those issues. First off, if a constant money supply is constantly being spread thinner and thinner over an expanding number of people, and is being used to purchase an ever expanding array of items, the rate of deflation will lower the price level much too quickly; people *still* wouldn't be able to tell what their items are worth. Furthermore, deflation in general strongly discourages spending; people who own many items would be losing out on vast amounts of possible wealth. Therefore, demand for items would plummet, and item prices would be bartered down to many times below the fair market price given the state of the market at that moment. If this were to play out like so, we'd still be a very unhappy community. Not only that, but we would have little incentive to spend gaia cash and introduce more items into a stagnated economy.

Granted, this is just on-the-spot conjecture on my part; if you've considered my ideas and can explain to me why it would work out differently, feel free to debate the point.

I can see your point but until we remove some of the problems they caused with removing market limits and being able to straight up buy gold...I don't think things will get better. Honestly I don't have any ideas on how to fix it either so any solution is at least worth thinking about.

Dangerous Genius

Barbra_Streisand
Influency
People that can pay into Gaia still have more buying power than people that don't. I suggest separating what you can buy with gold and cash. People who want to spend the money can have their status, and those that earn it the hard way have a better selection of items to buy. And to keep things fair we can form a community committee to keep an eye on quality control so Gaia doesn't continue to bait with better items for cash.

^ Hear hear!

Sounds like an interesting idea but the whole community, or at least gaia would have to be convinced they want to do it.

It seems like they just want money. I feel they probably did the whole now you can buy gold cause they saw all the gold sellers doing it and wanted to make some of the profit. I hope they realize what market havoc they cause...I don't get on much but I don't want something from my childhood to die cause of bad choices.

Wealthy Sex Symbol

9,700 Points
  • Nerd 50
  • Millionaire 200
  • Timid 100

Strawberry

I def spend more on g-cash after inflation since the items i used to get gold are now worth s**t all

Eco-friendly Dragon

Wow, this is a really cool idea! I've seen a lot of posts relating to this on how to change the Gaia Cash system to fix the economy, but this is the first one relating to gold amounts. Brilliant!
I like this. I sign.

Enthusiastic Astronomer

20,125 Points
  • Battery 500
  • Rat Conqueror 500
  • Energy Generator 250

Excitable Zealot

I'll sign this.

Wicked Sophomore

10,900 Points
  • Unleash the Beast 100
  • Flatterer 200