Welcome to Gaia! ::

Greedy Hunter

So next month I will be auditioning for my first musical, Oklahoma!

Anyway, for the audition there are three parts: singing, dancing, and acting. For the singing, I was wondering if just singing one of Serj Tankian's songs would be fine (since I can passionately sing his songs and his songs don't have a whole lot of musical breaks) or if I should sing something from another musical? I am a freshman in high school and hoping to get the part of Ado Annie (though any part works). Should I sing a song that would suit her? I'm so confused @_@

And dancing. What kind of dance should I do? And what kind of dance could I learn within a few weeks and make it look great? I don't take dance or anything, so I don't know very much about dancing. Or auditioning for musicals. EDIT: would the dance from Houdini by Foster The People work? XD

Thank you for taking the time to read about my personal problems, and any advice is highly appreciated!

Also, my bangs and tips are dyed red/pink and I have strawberry blonde hair (it looks really cool. Just sayin'). Even though it's high school, do you think that will affect anything? (The shows take place in the spring).

Greedy Hunter

Greedy Hunter

Dapper Gekko

3,900 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
For any audition, I would sing a song you are most comfortable with and that you can sing extremely well. HOWEVER, I suggest singing a song from a musical, as there is a very distinct difference between a musical song and what some people call a band song. Personally, I wouldn't sing a song from Oklahoma!, unless it's required or requested. I would sit and listen to a few songs from different musicals for a while and pick one that best suits your voice and range.

As for the dancing, I'm not sure how your school works, but I know for us for the dancing they would show us a small routine and see how well we picked up on it and how well it was performed. If you have to come up with one all on your own, I might go and ask the dance teacher at your school (provided you have one) and say something along the likes of, "I'm trying to audition for the school musical. Could you maybe show me a dance I can use to audition with?" If your dance teacher is the choreographer of the musical, like mine was frequently, then it might help you score major points that you went out of your way to find something that they are looking for.

And about your hair. I definitely don't see it being a problem RIGHT NOW, but definitely I could see a director's problem with that in a musical such as Oklahoma!. I would maybe let them know that you're willing to take on a more natural color for the actual performance come springtime.

Good luck with the audition!!

Greedy Hunter

blackfadedvelvet
For any audition, I would sing a song you are most comfortable with and that you can sing extremely well. HOWEVER, I suggest singing a song from a musical, as there is a very distinct difference between a musical song and what some people call a band song. Personally, I wouldn't sing a song from Oklahoma!, unless it's required or requested. I would sit and listen to a few songs from different musicals for a while and pick one that best suits your voice and range.

As for the dancing, I'm not sure how your school works, but I know for us for the dancing they would show us a small routine and see how well we picked up on it and how well it was performed. If you have to come up with one all on your own, I might go and ask the dance teacher at your school (provided you have one) and say something along the likes of, "I'm trying to audition for the school musical. Could you maybe show me a dance I can use to audition with?" If your dance teacher is the choreographer of the musical, like mine was frequently, then it might help you score major points that you went out of your way to find something that they are looking for.

And about your hair. I definitely don't see it being a problem RIGHT NOW, but definitely I could see a director's problem with that in a musical such as Oklahoma!. I would maybe let them know that you're willing to take on a more natural color for the actual performance come springtime.

Good luck with the audition!!

Thank you so much, this really helps a lot!
PolishPanda123
So next month I will be auditioning for my first musical, Oklahoma!

Anyway, for the audition there are three parts: singing, dancing, and acting. For the singing, I was wondering if just singing one of Serj Tankian's songs would be fine (since I can passionately sing his songs and his songs don't have a whole lot of musical breaks) or if I should sing something from another musical? I am a freshman in high school and hoping to get the part of Ado Annie (though any part works). Should I sing a song that would suit her? I'm so confused @_@

And dancing. What kind of dance should I do? And what kind of dance could I learn within a few weeks and make it look great? I don't take dance or anything, so I don't know very much about dancing. Or auditioning for musicals. EDIT: would the dance from Houdini by Foster The People work? XD

Thank you for taking the time to read about my personal problems, and any advice is highly appreciated!

Also, my bangs and tips are dyed red/pink and I have strawberry blonde hair (it looks really cool. Just sayin'). Even though it's high school, do you think that will affect anything? (The shows take place in the spring).

I wish you all the best! Let us know how the audition went.. :]

Greedy Hunter

Okay, since I'm auditioning for Ado Annie I just have to sing some of I Cain't Say No and there will be a choreographer showing us some steps~!

Greedy Hunter

I had my audition yesterday and I think I did pretty well! My friends complimented my singing and one told another one of my friends that I was one of the best dancers there biggrin

I just hope that the adults thought so too.

I didn't make it to the callback list, but I think I might make chorus, although I will not know until 3rd hour on Tuesday at the latest. Mrs. Goerlitz taught us the dance step-by-step and it was really fun. I also knew the song really well so I didn't forget lyrics or anything!

Thank you for your advice, guys!

Benevolent Gaian

8,200 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PolishPanda123
I had my audition yesterday and I think I did pretty well! My friends complimented my singing and one told another one of my friends that I was one of the best dancers there biggrin

I didn't make it to the callback list, but I think I might make chorus, although I will not know until 3rd hour on Tuesday at the latest. Mrs. Goerlitz taught us the dance step-by-step and it was really fun. I also knew the song really well so I didn't forget lyrics or anything!

Did you get the part? How are rehearsals going?

Greedy Hunter

AkaTsuki-chan
PolishPanda123

Did you get the part? How are rehearsals going?

I got cut, but I am going to help do sound instead.
Here's my two cents on the matter:

Oklahoma is a CLASSICAL musical. So, you're gonna want to pick a classical musical theatre song. You don't have to, of course, but this is your best option.

Dance: There will most likely be a dance portion where they'll teach you a short routine. Just be sure to warm up (stretch, etc.) and you'll be fine.

As far as your hair goes, I can about guarantee they won't cast you in Oklahoma with dyed hair. I have had this problem before too. Make sure they know that you are willing to dye it a natural color- this is very important.

Break a leg!!

Fashionable Lunatic

7,050 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • First step to fame 200
Callbacks don't guarantee you a part, nor do they mean you won't get one. Callbacks are merely the director's way of seeing an audition again; maybe they missed something, want to see the actor's other performance capabilities, or for another reason. Often times, actors don't get called back but still land a lead role.

Don't give up if you didn't get a part! Sound is a vital part of every musical. Techies deserve so much more recognition than what they are given. I had a friend, Lucy, who did theatre when she was younger. In one musical, she was on lights. One day, the lead told Lucy that she wasn't important because she wasn't onstage. So the night before performance, when the lead began her song, Lucy shut off the lights on her! (The director was not amused.)

And don't give up! This is only your first musical, you said. Helping out or being on tech crew lets the director know you're willing to commit even when you're behind the scenes. It gets your name out there, and the director will definitely remember you at your next audition.
Perhaps you could ask the director what he/she thought about the audition, what you did well, and what they think you can improve on. This will only help you with the next audition.

Break a leg!

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces