Welcome to Gaia! ::

Feral Lover

I recently have become interested in the performing arts. I have literally no experience in it whatsoever - unless you count a stagehand in a school play before.
I really don't know where to start, or much about it. But the idea of acting seems really fun to me.
Any advice please? <3

citron trees's Princess

Shy Stylist

I do mostly tech work in the performing arts area...
But from what my friends tell me, acting is loads of fun.
You just have try out for stuff as they approach.
Acting in a performance takes extreme dedication and energy to be able to do.
I am acting as Hippolyta in our school's production of A Midsummer Night's Dream and it's very tiring, but I enjoy it so much. : )

Thieving Rogue

As an actor myself, I can definitely confirm the extreme dedication being in a production takes. My entire schedule revolves around acting, and fair warning, some friends may not take too kindly to being blown off every two days because you have rehearsal. However, I would definitely suggest auditioning for school and local productions. That's really the best place to get a start. I'd also suggest taking acting courses for whatever you can. I really enjoy taking improv courses, because it's helpful should you blank out on stage (and you will at some point, trust me), but voice and just straight acting courses are fun, too.

Best of luck to you!
There's really no "right" way to start- you kinda just have to jump right in!
Make sure you read the script of whatever show you're working on thoroughly,
have a clear understanding of what's happening, who you're character is and
their relationship with the other characters. Keep it grounded.

Break many legs!
The main thing that I can add to what others have said is to always keep in mind that you are doing this to have fun. Don't let people make you feel guilty for having rehearsal.
It does take alot of devotion to be in the theater arts. You must have no room for stage fright thats for sure! -.-' But anyways, I was in a production of Guys and Dolls last year, I sadly was in the backround alot though. However, I still enjoyed the singing and dancing. :3 It's the memorizing of lines, choreography, and voice training for the singing that's hard at first. But eventually, when you get used to being the character that your supposed to be, it gets alot easier, almost natural. Some people that I know get so into it they don't respond to there real name from the directors sometimes when on stage! You've just got to learn to be relaxed with yourself on stage first. smile I suggest thinking alot about your characters point of view as well as the choreography, even outside of rehearsles to let it sink in. I hope I helped at least a little bit and good luck! It can be alot of fun and can be a great way to make new friends! I made quite a few through it! biggrin

1,400 Points
  • Grunny Grabber 50
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Person of Interest 200
MyDarlingVendetta
I recently have become interested in the performing arts. I have literally no experience in it whatsoever - unless you count a stagehand in a school play before.
I really don't know where to start, or much about it. But the idea of acting seems really fun to me.
Any advice please? <3

Your stagehand experience will be invaluable - keep volunteering like that and it'll show how dedicated you are to becoming a part of the industry.

Join some amateur groups, get as much experience as you can.

Where are you from? Here in the UK, there's lot's of arts networking groups that meet regularly, which allow you to gain contacts and make connections - they've been brilliant for me, so it would be well worth researching similar things in your area - you never know where they might lead!

Timid Gawker

This is a small thing, but plays a major role: know your stuff. Know your lines/ques or whatever it is you have to remember until it comes naturally. I don't how much that'll apply to the acting world, but it sure comes in handy when you gotta dance :3 It'll make you less nervous before you perform when you know all your parts up and down. Can you image going on with any practice whatsoever? Pretty scary thought of how horribly that might turn out.
You should first find the type of character personality that best fits you.Then come up with some lines that suits your character including a catchphrase, then experiment with you friends or family before you test it out for the big leagues. I am known for my zany character impersonations like freakazoid or the hot shot heroes you see on tv. Just have fun with the acting and it will come easy for you these are words from an actor to be once I finish high school ... anyway good luck biggrin
one word- Dedication! Good luck<3

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces