11,525 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Cool Cat 500
  • Brandisher 100
”A bullet pierced my true love's side,
In life's young spring so early…

User Image
Leighe “Shame” Arriat

Shame thanked his stars for Carver and his bunch having not been Imperials. If they had, it would have been quite the problem. Most likely it would have culminated in death, dismemberment, or worse...capture. Carver McGrath. Had he heard that name before? It wasn't a southern name, that was for damn sure. Shame took Carver's hand in a strong grasp and shook it.

"Me' name's Shame, but my father was an Arriat."

Shame felt a pang of misery as he spoke his family's name. Dead. All dead. He tried to make sure it didn't show on his face.

"Ay, Cat, let em' be. Do they look like the grays to you?"

She was definitely the feisty type, but God bless her, she had kept him alive throughout the miserable months without asking for a single thing in return. She was his guardian angel, and she was not someone he could afford to lose at this point.

"Forgive her. We've hit a rough spell of fighting, an' we haven't had much but pain an' suffering and a stupid ********' dog-monster to show for it."

Shame picked Risi up and held the dog close to him, cooing to it softly.

"An' aren't yeh' an adorable little puppy? Bone white an yeh' look like some sert' of wolf. I oughta eat you for eating my food, yeh' little fat ********]

Shame's eyes lit up at the sight of the deer. Deer, Real deer! That would be enough to feed all of them, and finally sate the hunger that had been growing in Shame's stomach following weeks of woeful supplies. Bullets were a'plenty, but food was a scarce commodity. They couldn't risk going into one of the southern towns, and the northern towns were by and large too far away to be of use... separated as they were by the largest part of the Aednat mountain range.

"Imperials? Aye', ah'd say we've seen plenty of grays. They've been all over us like hound dogs, and ah'm sure it's only going to get worse. There's been a lull in the fightin' this week, and ah know that it means nothing good. Somethings about to happen...ah' can feel it."

Shame spat on the grass in front of him.

"Ah' expect they'll be pushing real hard, real soon."

"And on my breast in blood she died,
While soft winds shook the barley…"

Dapper Hunter

4,000 Points
  • Happy 13th, Gaia Online! 50
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Brandisher 100
User Image

Carver nodded, motioning to his men to make camp. Four of them silently disappeared into the woods while the other seven settled in. It was warm so they did not unpack the tents, merely their bed rolls. Several of the men began to clean and dress the carcasses, while another two began to gather wood for a second fire. He had a man scouting south to keep an eye on the grays, and he would return at dusk. The whole clearing had turned into a proper camp, and Carver settled down next to the fire. He unfurled a canvas map and showed it to Shame.

"The 'grays' got patrols running here, an 'ere."

He pointed to two loops of the woods around the frontier.

"They control the roads in an out o' Betio... the town is resisting, but food is scarce... it won't take them long to fall. They are making their push up into our land at a steady pace. Won't be long afore 'ere overrun."

He folded his legs and stared into the fire for a moment, losing himself. He drifted off and took a moment before he realized what he had done and chuckled.

"They advance in the morning and secure at four in the afternoon. Now, the supply convoy's in the rear get run up the line between one an three."

He looked over at the other man, waiting to see if he caught what he was throwin.

King Hellhound

11,525 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Cool Cat 500
  • Brandisher 100

User Image
Leighe “Shame” Arriat

Shame yawned and allowed himself to sit back and enjoy the smell of roasting venison as he conversed with Carver over the large map of Aiden. The man had probably killed an Imperial officer for it, he mused, as such maps were not common in the houses of Aiden. The people were largely oriented by their own county and kin, not by the boundaries that the Imperials so readily saw. The bigger boundaries. To an Aednat, folk were just that. Folk. No more, no less.

"Aye..."

Shame responded tentatively. His eyes darted from the canvas map to the man who sat beside him. Shame had just met Carver, but immediately he knew that the man was genuine. He was warm and inviting just like an old friend; and Shame had seen the man lose himself in the glow of the fire. That sort of thing couldn't have been an act, for it was a glimpse into the true nature of the man. This Carver, while Shame had never met him before, was most definitely kin.

"Ah' suppose that gives us a window of opportunity, dun'nt it?"

Shame took a drag on his cigarette and let the puppy rest in his lap.

"Me' only question is if we have thae' sort of resources to be hitting such a target. Are they not protecting these convoys very well, then?"

Dapper Hunter

4,000 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Brandisher 100
User Image

Carver nodded slowly, throwing a stick onto the fire as he listened to Shame's concerns. He hadn't noticed an overwhelming number of guards. He reached into his jacket and pulled out his pocket watch. He checked the time, an then looked up at the sun frowning. He shook his head and put the watch away.

"Aye, five armed guards. They haven't had to worry about their supplies yet, so I dare say they 'avn't taken extensive precautions yet. We can't count on that though... they will re-enforce after a few raids, so we ought ta make em count."

He paused and took a deep breath, letting the smell of cooking meat fill his lungs. He sighed and leaned back against a log.

"We need food, an grey rations aren't the most appetizing, but we canna fight on roots 'n berries for eva."

He looked around at his soldiers and smiled thoughtfully.

"If we make a few successful raids, they'll be linin up ta join us like we're givin away candy apples!"

He grinned at Shame, waiting to hear what the man thought.

King Hellhound

11,525 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Cool Cat 500
  • Brandisher 100

User Image
Leighe “Shame” Arriat

Shame's stomach growled painfully. He had been living the roots and berry life for a little bit longer than he had cared for.

"Aye, that's the bloody truth. An' I suppose yer' right about making it count, ah' just don' want the civivies to get repercussed upon."

Shame took a long pull on his cigarette and let the smoke seep from out of his nose. He let out a weak cough and smiled.

"Outta' quit these things, ut' ah' haven't had much luck with that."

He shrugged.

"Well, we might 'ahve more luck with the candy apples. They're in short supply these days. The real question is...what about the grays? They'll take kindly to this like a horse takes kindly to getting its arse bit by a dog."

2,150 Points
  • Consumer 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Person of Interest 200
Catríona --- That is all you need to know

Cat sat down after a little while with them and smiled lazily. She had been cooking some time, the men offering to help, but she said no, aiming at doing it all on her own. "What are we talkin' 'bout?" she asked, resting two wooden plates before them with food on them before laying back on the ground with her head nearest the fire, her eyes trained on the dancing flames. "Because you know I don't like being left out of things, Shame," she warmed as an added precaution to the man, though her tone was playful.

The blonde fingered the pouch on her side absentmindedly, every time she had the moment to stop and let her mind wander, her family wormed its way in. The laugh of her youngest sister still rang through her mind like it had the night that she left to fight the Imps and keep her home just as it had been for them. Her mother still young and strong for her age, begged her not to go that night, but Catriona had to, for all of them - because Dad had asked her to keep the lot of them safe that last day he was alive.

Cat jolted herself from her thoughts to focus back on Shame, awaiting his voice to speak the plans they were cooking up. Cats stomach gurgled but she ignored it, aiming to eat after the men, because with them around she didn't have to do as much work, so she could be more relaxed. But only a little. The woman shifted on the ground and pulled the lot of pebbles from her pouch, setting them on her stomach she began to count them over and over again in the back of her mind, and think of the appearance of all of them, and how that related to her siblings.

Dapper Hunter

4,000 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Brandisher 100
User Image

Carver shook his head when Shame pulled up his cigarette. He couldn't understand why anyone would want to poison themselves like that. Seemed like they were just helping the grey's to do their job.

"Aye... I understand not wanting to bring trouble down on the locals... but this is war lad... anyone who can should be fightin... and anyone who can't should be running."

He smiled as Catríona put the plate in his lap. He tasted the meal and his eyes rolled up into his head. The food was incredible. He knew it was simple deer roast, but she had outdone herself.

"Lassy... this is incredible! Much better than John's cookin! So she's beautiful and talented!"

He shot her a starry eyed glance and smiled. He moved over and dropped down on his knees in front of her and cocked his head to one side.

"Marry me and take me away lass! I believe they've killed me an I'm in heaven."

Leaning back he began devouring the food, showing that his appetite was as great as Shame's.

King Hellhound

11,525 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Cool Cat 500
  • Brandisher 100

User Image
Leighe “Shame” Arriat

Leighe was a little bit absentminded as he responded to Catriona.

"We're talking about the birds and the bees and the bombs n' brass Cat. Something about killing grays and eating people's faces, tha' sort o' thing."

Leighe consumed the steak voraciously when it was given to him. Finally a real meal...he almost had to agree with Carver's proposition. Wait. What had Carver just said? This was Shame's lady! Or at least, he had found her first. He didn't know a whole lot about her, and she seemed to be his age or a little older...but...well, once again, that just wasnt the point. Damn the man!

"And you're the one calling me some sort of jolly songbird, yer' proposing marriage to the firs' lass you set your eyes upon. How'dy'a know her and I aren't already married?"

Well aware that Carver was most likely oblivious to what he was saying Shame added,

"An' fer just a camel more...you can have this here manservent and thirty acres of s**t."

2,150 Points
  • Consumer 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Person of Interest 200

Catriona gagged on the spit in the back of her throat. She hadn't paid any heed to the words that Shame spoke, but then the newbie opened his mouth and proclaimed his love for the food he was given and attempted to take her hand. The woman looked up at him and then she narrowed her eyes up at him. "I am sorry, I have to decline... I'm a little preoccupied with the fact that I'm fighting a WAR!" she hollered and began to laugh softly.

The woman moved to sit up and gasped as one of her pebbles bounced off into the darkness outside of the ring of fire light. "No! Aislinn!" She shouted and was sure that only Shame would know what she was talking about as she moved, totally ignoring the both of them as she attempted to locate the glittering, unrefined lump of gold that made up her sisters representation. She scrambled around to find it in the dark, her hands hovering over the trampled grass of the clearing. "Aislinn...! Of course you would be the one to run off.. Bad girl... I'm keeping you put up for a week for this..." She scolded the mineral as she searched, cursing as she was having troubles finding it.

The little bit of gold was worth more to her then what ever was in the treasury. Images of her sweet little sister rolled through her mind as she panicked and pressed her hand hard to the ground, one of the men managing to not see her hand and stepping on it. She jerked back and held her hand with the other hand. There was a deep red mark on her hand from the heavy boot, and her knuckles looked to be swelling. "I can't find Aislinn..." was all she said in response and she went back to looking.

Dapper Hunter

4,000 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Brandisher 100
User Image

"Well Shame! That was before I knew what a treasure you were keeping hidden away here."

Carver finished his meat and moved over to Cat. He cocked his head to one side. He laughed a little at Shame before moving over to her, looking around on the ground. After a few moments, he spotted the little chunk of gold, half obscured by a large rock. He picked up and brushed the dirt off. He smiled at Cat and took her un-hurt hand. He lifted her to her feet and placed the bit of gold in her hand. He smiled warmly and then grimaced when he saw her other hand.

"Here ya go lass... and mah goodness! Shaun! Watch yer damned able feet... ya clod stomper."

He turned back to Cat and took her hurt hand in his, rubbing it hard to restore the blood flow and prevent it from bruising. He smiled broadly to her, as James, another of his men pulled a violin from his pack and began playing a little ditty. He looked into the woman's eyes and his own shone back in the firelight.

"Dance with me Lassy?"

He looked down and realized he still had her hand in his and his smile did not dim.

2,150 Points
  • Consumer 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Person of Interest 200

Cat looked at the man and then she withdrew her hand. "I thank you very much, but I have to go make sure the food is dispersed to everyone and then I have.. other womanly duties to attend to." She bowed low to him and then she stepped back. She walked over to Shame and then held her hand out to him. "Is it okay? You know I'm no good at judging.." The woman blushed lightly and then looked at the fire.

Cat didn't really like any of the men around her. Not in that way, at least. She planned to run all of them weary with the tasks that she wanted to get done but couldn't until now. Though Shame was the only bed partner that she had had for over a few days, so he definitely had a one up on the other men. The woman shook her head and held her hand out to him still looking back at Carver before she sighed and then said, "I suppose I can wait a little while to get things done... A thank you dance shouldn't be a problem..." she said with a smile. She tried to be a nice person sometimes, but it was kind of hard when you were so used to running for your life.

The blonde looked up at the sky for a moment, counting the stars as she clutched the stones in her hand. The sharp edges of the gold and then the iron ore putting sharp pressure on her palm, but she didn't mind, it reminded her that they were still, and always would be, there.

King Hellhound

11,525 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Cool Cat 500
  • Brandisher 100

User Image
Leighe “Shame” Arriat

Leighe eyed Carver with the slightest jealousy, but it wasn't really up to him. Twas' her life, and there wasn't much to stop her from living it. He and Catriona had an understanding, and to call it brotherly and sisterly...while strange, was not necessarily inaccurate. They took care of each other's needs, emotional and physical. There was not much "shame" between them, so to speak. He gave her a smile and a nod,

"Aye Cat', tis' good."

Shame laid back and looked up at the dusk sky and clapped his hands to the rhythm of the song that the man was a'fiddlin' to. It was all a good time among friends, hard to believe that the only reason they knew each other or wanted each other's company was due to an alliance of vengeance. Damn shame. Shame brushed the ashes of his cigarette into the grass and closed his eyes in rest. Before too long he began to sing along to the song, making words up as he went.

"Red devil in the sky loves me and you, barrows and duns an' who leads who...

Red devil!

Red devil!

Red devil in the sky loves me and you, red devil in the sky misleadin' you, feedin' you, red devil."

The song was invented, but it spoke of one of Aiden's many folk stories. It was nothing new for a song to be invented about one on the spot, and Shame rather enjoyed singing. He liked to think he had a nice voice, though he had never been told so. Either way, he enjoyed the moment best he could.

Dapper Hunter

4,000 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Brandisher 100
User Image

Carver smiled at her response. He was entranced by this creature that he had met in the meadows. He didn't understand why the lass didn't jump at the chance to dance with him, but a yes was a yes. It didn't bother him at all that she wasn't swooning... he would keep after her none the less and hopefully grow on her. He took her hands and began dancing in Aiden fashion, fast and to the point. He leaned in close to her and whispered.

"You only live once lass... sure you don't want to take me up on the offer? World's ended and tomorrow we may die..."

He went back to dancing, enjoying the dance, regardless of wither or not she scorned him again. His steps were perfect and the violinist was soon joined by a half dozen other instruments, including a set of pipes as a few of the other men began dancing as well.

"What a glorious day."

2,150 Points
  • Consumer 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Person of Interest 200

Cat jumped right into step with him, laughing as she moved. "Yes, but if the world ended. I would fight the demons and god himself until there was nothing left for me to take in my grasp and dispose of." She had a thick glow of passion in her eyes as they moved.

The sound of Shame singing made her begin to sing her own words. Words about conquering the world and killing the god that the Imps worshiped. And killing him until he was most certainly dead. The woman giggled almost menacingly while she moved to the rhythm, eventually breaking away from Carver and beginning to dance on her own, her hands out to her sides and her bare feet constantly moving, her eyes closed in bliss as she hummed and moved, the rocks in her pouch thumping rhythmically, as well.

King Hellhound

11,525 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Cool Cat 500
  • Brandisher 100
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
"The Old Lion"

The Baron sat in his office within the city of Foldere, over-viewing several sheets of information and reports in regards to troop movements, logistics, and several other issues of importance that had to do with the issue of taking over Aiden. There were miles of red tape that needed to be cleared before any real progress could be made, and honestly, it was quite a miracle that it had only taken them a month to establish such a major foothold upon the island. Oh, how Amadeus wished for the days where invading a country had been as simple as storming the initial beach...fighting a decisive battle here and there, and then declaring one's self the victor. He looked down at one of his papers and sighed. Reichert. He had a meeting with Reichert. He had forgotten that the young Major was to be arriving today; the Baron was pleased to see him, but not necessarily pleased with the man's meddling in what he saw as his affairs.

"Lieutenant."

His aide snapped to attention.

"Find Major Reichert and bring him in, he should be coming to see me soon. If he hasn't already reached the headquarters, make sure he comes here immediately."

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff