Welcome to Gaia! ::

For me, at least.

I never knew writing a 50,000-word novel in one month could be so difficult! It's the 14th day and I only have a little over 1,700 words. I'm not really trying my best to write it, though. That's because I have school and because I can't write if I don't really feel like writing. I have to get into a writing mood to write. I underestimated the challenge. I am definitely not going to be able to finish the novel by the end of November AND do all my homework. So NaNoWriMo is impossible for me. I'm still going to try working on it, though, even if I don't finish at the end of November or at all. Maybe I'll actually try next year.

Thing is, I'm writing it all by hand, then typing it down on my laptop which I rarely get access to because my parents are constantly taking it away. Anyways, it's very tedious and I don't know if I can write over a thousand words a day without killing my right hand. I also have to take notes at school, so... sweatdrop

[mini-rant: end]

Shirtless Millionaire

15,050 Points
  • Alchemy Level 3 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Millionaire 200
I see....Well, the fact that you tried means a lot!

Hallowed Lunatic

Blessed Prophet

I think it's meant to be a challenge. The average person isn't able to write a 50,000 word story in a month.

Angelic Detective

13,125 Points
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
  • Caroling Champ 100
  • Friendly 100
What? ...WHAT? it's impossible!?! ....hmm....well...I enjoy writing. So something like this...50K in words...is a bit...um...heh low. XD But I never heard of this event before. o.o >.<
If I only known sooner...I would of been working on a story by now! XD lol well..seeing as though I kind of started a few...might as well make another one? Xd um..never mind me. I'm just thinking out loud. >.> XD

Aekea Nerd

13,950 Points
  • Nerd 50
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Partygoer 500
hiyosei
I'm not really trying my best to write it, though. That's because (...) I can't write if I don't really feel like writing. I have to get into a writing mood to write.

That's your main problem right there. The whole point of NaNoWriMo is to get yourself OUT of that mindset and MAKE yourself write, even when you don't want to or don't feel like it. You have to just sit there and put words on the page. Even if they're terrible and make little to no sense and you feel like you're wasting your time. NaNo is about allowing yourself to write badly for the sake of writing SOMETHING. And maybe, just maybe, you'll get a few treasures out of your ugly, incoherent mess of words. But it really is impossible if you don't even bother to try.

If you really want to take on this challenge and write an entire novel in one month (something that takes an average writer a year or more and that the vast majority of people never even manage to do at all), you have to put aside laziness and procrastination and self-doubt and all the excuses you can manage to come up with and just WRITE. Participating in NaNoWriMo is like running a marathon. Not everyone can do it, but those that do are the ones who really take it seriously, dig deep and do their best. If you don't put any effort into it and give up halfway through, of course you'll fail.

That said, if there really is a lot of stuff getting in the way during this time of year because of school and whatnot, you can always try to do Camp NaNo in the summer months(June, July and August). It might be easier on you. There's also the Young Writers Program, which has a different version of NaNo that allows you to set your own word count goal. You could try for something a little less intimidating than 50k. And I don't know what your parents are like, but have you tried talking to them about NaNo? You might be able to get them rooting for you, thus getting yourself more access to your laptop.

And just so you don't think I'm being unreasonable, this is my fourth year participating in NaNo, and last year was the first time I won. The first year I only managed 14k words. The second, I barely made it to 40k just as the clock ran out. Both of those attempts were pretty disappointing. When I finally won, though, it was an amazing feeling. I would want everyone to feel a sense of accomplishment like that. So I want to encourage you to keep trying. Even if it feels hopeless. As long as you don't give up, you'll make it eventually!

(caps for emphasis, not yelling)

Smitten Kitten

28,775 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Winged 100
  • Waffles! 25
Hn... Well, I can understand your view, seeing as how you're trying to balance school and NaNoWriMo.
I haven't bothered trying this year for the same reason. I have work and school, not to mention roleplaying is far more tempting than working on a novel.
But yeah, I feel the pain. It does seem impossible, but it sure as heck is a good way to improve your writing in terms of time management(not that I boast ever finishing my novels on time). I have a nasty habit of scrapping my novels at 10k words... ^ -^;
But yeah... I still think it's good to write as much as you can. I personally turn to focus on how well can you write what you can in that time. That, I think, says more.
infect
I think it's meant to be a challenge. The average person isn't able to write a 50,000 word story in a month.

I know, but I was stupid and didn't think it'd be so hard. I underestimated the number. If that makes sense.
Asashi85
What? ...WHAT? it's impossible!?! ....hmm....well...I enjoy writing. So something like this...50K in words...is a bit...um...heh low. XD But I never heard of this event before. o.o >.<
If I only known sooner...I would of been working on a story by now! XD lol well..seeing as though I kind of started a few...might as well make another one? Xd um..never mind me. I'm just thinking out loud. >.> XD

Haha I was just saying that it's probably impossible for me. I also enjoy writing but it's hard for me to write something that makes enough sense. lol You could probably do it. It's not too late! Well, for this year, it might be, but there are other years!
Eruravenne
That's your main problem right there. The whole point of NaNoWriMo is to get yourself OUT of that mindset and MAKE yourself write, even when you don't want to or don't feel like it. You have to just sit there and put words on the page. Even if they're terrible and make little to no sense and you feel like you're wasting your time. NaNo is about allowing yourself to write badly for the sake of writing SOMETHING. And maybe, just maybe, you'll get a few treasures out of your ugly, incoherent mess of words. But it really is impossible if you don't even bother to try.

If you really want to take on this challenge and write an entire novel in one month (something that takes an average writer a year or more and that the vast majority of people never even manage to do at all), you have to put aside laziness and procrastination and self-doubt and all the excuses you can manage to come up with and just WRITE. Participating in NaNoWriMo is like running a marathon. Not everyone can do it, but those that do are the ones who really take it seriously, dig deep and do their best. If you don't put any effort into it and give up halfway through, of course you'll fail.

That said, if there really is a lot of stuff getting in the way during this time of year because of school and whatnot, you can always try to do Camp NaNo in the summer months(June, July and August). It might be easier on you. There's also the Young Writers Program, which has a different version of NaNo that allows you to set your own word count goal. You could try for something a little less intimidating than 50k. And I don't know what your parents are like, but have you tried talking to them about NaNo? You might be able to get them rooting for you, thus getting yourself more access to your laptop.

And just so you don't think I'm being unreasonable, this is my fourth year participating in NaNo, and last year was the first time I won. The first year I only managed 14k words. The second, I barely made it to 40k just as the clock ran out. Both of those attempts were pretty disappointing. When I finally won, though, it was an amazing feeling. I would want everyone to feel a sense of accomplishment like that. So I want to encourage you to keep trying. Even if it feels hopeless. As long as you don't give up, you'll make it eventually!

(caps for emphasis, not yelling)

First of all, I must admit that I'm a bit of a procrastinator at almost everything I do. Especially school. The reason I only write when inspired, etc. is because I only write as a small hobby. Sometimes, it is to channel some of my emotions. I underestimated the number. I guess in my mind, the number had one less zero.

I had no idea such things even existed. I might try those. About my parents, that's not going to happen for two reasons. One: They are Asian (stereotypes, yay!). Two: They would probably say it's a waste of time and that there's no point. Honestly, they don't seem to appreciate such types of arts. It's probably because of the way they lived as children. And when I say "them", I really mean mostly my mom.

I don't really think you are being unreasonable, because I realize my faults. You make good points, even if some of them hurt a bit.
PrincessKitteh
Hn... Well, I can understand your view, seeing as how you're trying to balance school and NaNoWriMo.
I haven't bothered trying this year for the same reason. I have work and school, not to mention roleplaying is far more tempting than working on a novel.
But yeah, I feel the pain. It does seem impossible, but it sure as heck is a good way to improve your writing in terms of time management(not that I boast ever finishing my novels on time). I have a nasty habit of scrapping my novels at 10k words... ^ -^;
But yeah... I still think it's good to write as much as you can. I personally turn to focus on how well can you write what you can in that time. That, I think, says more.

Yeah, I agree. You do better than me. I've never bothered counting the words in all my writing pieces, but I bet they aren't anywhere near 10k.

Aekea Nerd

13,950 Points
  • Nerd 50
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Partygoer 500
hiyosei
First of all, I must admit that I'm a bit of a procrastinator at almost everything I do. Especially school. The reason I only write when inspired, etc. is because I only write as a small hobby. Sometimes, it is to channel some of my emotions. I underestimated the number. I guess in my mind, the number had one less zero.

I had no idea such things even existed. I might try those. About my parents, that's not going to happen for two reasons. One: They are Asian (stereotypes, yay!). Two: They would probably say it's a waste of time and that there's no point. Honestly, they don't seem to appreciate such types of arts. It's probably because of the way they lived as children. And when I say "them", I really mean mostly my mom.

I don't really think you are being unreasonable, because I realize my faults. You make good points, even if some of them hurt a bit.

Well, I didn't mean to sound overly harsh. I just hate to see people give up on themselves when I know that anyone can succeed if they have the will. And that's really too bad about your parents. It's always harder when you don't have that kind of support. sad

Anyway, I hope you'll try again next year, at least. Maybe during Camp NaNo, like I mentioned.
Eruravenne

Well, I didn't mean to sound overly harsh. I just hate to see people give up on themselves when I know that anyone can succeed if they have the will. And that's really too bad about your parents. It's always harder when you don't have that kind of support. sad

Anyway, I hope you'll try again next year, at least. Maybe during Camp NaNo, like I mentioned.

Haha, it's fine. You weren't overly harsh. And I suppose that's true, but I've always been doing most things without much support from my parents anyways. They're kind of the type of parents who yell at you and call you negative things, trying to "motivate" you.

I do plan on trying Camp NaNo, now that I actually know of it, and if I maybe get better at writing with a deadline, I might try again next year. smile

Questionable Borg

Yeah, it's impossible for me as well because of school. But, I'm going to get as far as I can.

Aekea Nerd

13,950 Points
  • Nerd 50
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Partygoer 500
hiyosei
Eruravenne

Haha, it's fine. You weren't overly harsh. And I suppose that's true, but I've always been doing most things without much support from my parents anyways. They're kind of the type of parents who yell at you and call you negative things, trying to "motivate" you.

I do plan on trying Camp NaNo, now that I actually know of it, and if I maybe get better at writing with a deadline, I might try again next year. smile

Well, good luck, then! I'm sure you can do it. smile

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces