Monthly events

NaNoWriMo 0.72727272727273 72.7% [ 16 ]
No-Shave-November 0.13636363636364 13.6% [ 3 ]
International Drum Month 0.090909090909091 9.1% [ 2 ]
Pancreatic Cancer Awareness 0.045454545454545 4.5% [ 1 ]
Total Votes:[ 22 ]
1 2 3 >

Dapper Exhibitionist

Here's a different way to approach NaNoWriMo. Sure, it has "novel" in there, but what if you don't want to do that? You can still use November and the NaNoWriMo ethos to get stuff done!

For example, I'm not a big fiction writer. Writing a novel does not appeal to me. Instead of pursuing a novel, I'm writing 200 pages of poetry.

Any one else have different ideas for NaNoWriMo?
I'm writing a fanfic.

Unique and different enough! emotion_donotwant

Dapper Exhibitionist

Le Kingu
I'm writing a fanfic.

Wow, really? Fanfiction always seemed like it would be really hard to write! I admire anyone who can get into a character's head or an author's universe like that. May I ask what fandom?

High-functioning Garbage

24,800 Points
  • Married 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Unbreakable Bond 150
fanfiction is relatively easier than original fiction because you already have established characters and an established world. All you do is add in your own characters and a plot and mix!
bonestars
Le Kingu
I'm writing a fanfic.

Wow, really? Fanfiction always seemed like it would be really hard to write! I admire anyone who can get into a character's head or an author's universe like that. May I ask what fandom?
Lol we all know nobody really thinks of fanficiton as serious writing except they're attending grade 10 in High Horse High and I'm an actual English major with a degree lol but I really do appreciate the sentiment. <3

Death Note forever and for always for me; I write AU romance things with ******** plots and intricate relationships where nobody really loves anyone, and that's the point. :3

What's your 200 pages of poetry about? o__o

I can't imagine a 200-page poem or a collection of that many poems. You must be like a goldmine of ideas on legs. ; = ;
ZaiaFantasy
All you do is add in your own characters and a plot and mix!
Please don't.

High-functioning Garbage

24,800 Points
  • Married 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Unbreakable Bond 150
Le Kingu
ZaiaFantasy
Please don't.

May I ask why?
ZaiaFantasy
Le Kingu
ZaiaFantasy
Please don't.

May I ask why?
Because I like to think quality and respect for original work still count for something.

Beloved Fairy

Le Kingu
ZaiaFantasy
Please don't.

Well sometimes you have to add minor characters to make a fic work. Like, adding a shopkeep when characters go to a store in a fandom that doesn't have an established shop owner, or adding a random thug to beat up a character.

For the most part, I actually like it when people create villains. sweatdrop Though I don't think it works that way for Death Note. But for Yugioh or Yu Yu Hakusho, it is pretty easy to add characters.

I like adding employees to Kaibacorp for Kaiba to just fire for effect. Never a romantic OC.
emotion_facepalm

There was a thing I said earlier about how people generally view fanfiction writers.

This is exactly why. emotion_facepalm emotion_facepalm emotion_facepalm

Beloved Fairy

Le Kingu
emotion_facepalm

There was a thing I said earlier about how people generally view fanfiction writers.

What? I normally don't create characters unless I have to. What are you talking about?

I think fanfiction is pretty hard work. Especially if it is a longer fandom with more episodes and manga to sift through.

Like, if you were to create characters just for Light Yagami to kill that would be OK, right?

High-functioning Garbage

24,800 Points
  • Married 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Unbreakable Bond 150
Le Kingu
ZaiaFantasy
Le Kingu
ZaiaFantasy
Please don't.

May I ask why?
Because I like to think quality and respect for original work still count for something.

Meaning you think no one can add their own elements and be successful?
ZaiaFantasy
Le Kingu
ZaiaFantasy
Le Kingu
ZaiaFantasy
Please don't.

May I ask why?

Meaning you think no one can add their own elements and be successful?
Meaning I know adding excessive amounts of own elements and perverting the story makes it no-longer a fanfic but instead a mockery of the original story and a parody of the character interactions.

Unless you are trying to improve Twilight - because anything would improve Twilight - ******** with the original story without slapping an AU tag onto it is a show of "hey that's a nice world, I want to live there."

Fanficiton is meant to develop elements that already exist in the story but are understated.

Making it into something like "Imma add characters and fix every problem the original takes series to develop" is just an insult.

So don't.

Ideally, don't write it - but because it's NaNo and anything goes - write it but don't post it.
Katsuya Jyonouchi
Le Kingu
emotion_facepalm

What? I normally don't create characters unless I have to. What are you talking about?

I think fanfiction is pretty hard work. Especially if it is a longer fandom with more episodes and manga to sift through.

Like, if you were to create characters just for Light Yagami to kill that would be OK, right?
Yeah that kind of thing is respectable and reasonable enough. Those kinds of +characters is okay.

Creating a long-lost twin sister for Light Yagami, or mysterious abusive parents for L, or a guy who raped L in some Tragic Past (notice the capitalization) and is back to hunt him is not.

Even in AU, you want to keep everything reasonably close to original plot. Preserve personalities, stick them in a different setting, see how they act.

"Just add characters and mix" formula is exactly what robs srs ff writers of any credibility. And still, people have the gull to throw that formula around like it's what you should be doing. emotion_facepalm

5,100 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Forum Explorer 100
OP, When you say "200 pages", do you mean 200 separate poems or one UBER LONG poem?

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff